Shoulder Routines for mass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddawg91
    Here was my workout today, and it was a killer workout.

Modified clean and jerk
    Dumbell push press
    plate front raises
    Modified 1 arm clean and jerk
    Niiice

Comment

For shoulders I highly recommend standing barbell military press. Like most compound movements this will help increase overall strength and everyone knows when it comes to adding muscle compound movements is where it's at. These will be really tough at first, especially if you have a weak core but if you stick with it you will get stronger.
      http://www.extremebodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum and Information

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
        I also recommend single-arm shoulder work, you don't know isolation until you do single arm stuff (even with bands).

I started to do one arm upright rows with DB's, after the 3rd set I'm done for. It just totally tops off my workout. So I'm started to throw more one-arm work into my shoulds and they're blowing up; good stuff
        A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1quick1
          For shoulders I highly recommend standing barbell military press. Like most compound movements this will help increase overall strength and everyone knows when it comes to adding muscle compound movements is where it's at. These will be really tough at first, especially if you have a weak core but if you stick with it you will get stronger.

/\/\
          amen , i havent done seated military in years... except for an occasional round with DB's... even than I usually don't use a back support type bench.

it's fun to do partial cleans too. start with standing overhead presses.. do a set of the middle section, flipping the weight from the knee to your chest, than do a set of the deadlift to hip part... so you do the full movement but kind of isolate each section... i dont know, just something I do to mix it up every now n then

Comment

I've always seens my shoulders as being my best body part. I started an olympic lifting class last week, and there's nothing like a good clean, pull, or jerk to make your traps and rear delts hurt in ways you didn't know possible. That, and they're great at building up flexibility and stength in your connective tissue.
            Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

I've always felt shrugs were the most pointless lift ever...

anyone agree?

maybe its just cos i see college kids (twigs) doing them with like 400pd acting like its good form/work

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto

anyone agree?

maybe its just cos i see college kids (twigs) doing them with like 400pd acting like its good form/work
                I Really feel it when I do my shrugs. How else do you propose I build my upper traps?

Comment

shrugs gave me traps that were so out of proportion with the rest of my body that I had to stop. so whats so bad about shrugs?

Comment

Originally posted by externational
                    shrugs gave me traps that were so out of proportion with the rest of my body that I had to stop. so whats so bad about shrugs?
                    Wish I could do shrugs like that, my grip wont allow me to lift over 135 usually

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                      Wish I could do shrugs like that, my grip wont allow me to lift over 135 usually
                      i had the same problem but i bought those grip exercise things that look like two handles that you squeeze together and i also used the dyna-flex balls occasionally and my grip improved considerably. I was using 95 pound dumbbells before i stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by externational
                        i had the same problem but i bought those grip exercise things that look like two handles that you squeeze together and i also used the dyna-flex balls occasionally and my grip improved considerably. I was using 95 pound dumbbells before i stopped.
                        Yeah, I been meaning to look into those.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto

anyone agree?
                          Strongly disagree here

Comment

Am I a pussy for using wrist raps when I do shrugs? They sure help when holding pretty much anything.
                            Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by matt24002
                              Am I a pussy for using wrist raps when I do shrugs? They sure help when holding pretty much anything.
                              Nope. i can always shrug lots of weight, my hands give out before my traps.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                                Strongly disagree here
                                x2

Shrugs = good grip builders, good compound work for shoulders, core, upper and middle back, and spine stability to a degree.

While I don't LIKE them, I feel they are of benefit. Another grip builder is farmers walks. Gotta go heavy though. That's another great compound exercise too.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                                Purple Wraath
                                Green Magnitude
                                Orange Triad
                                White Flood
                                Blue Up
                                100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                                US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...