Squats question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squats question

When doing squats, where should your head and eyes be focused? In Rippetoe's book, he says to pick a spot on the floor 6 to 10 feet ahead of you and keep your eyes focused on that spot.
    "My pain is self chosen."-Mad Season
    "When it's game time, it's pain time baby."-Terry Tate

I usually look straight ahead. Have not tried the floor option but I use to look at a spot about 6 feet up on the wall in front of me.

Comment

I always look up slightly.. it helps push the chest out a little and give your back better alignment i think.. never look down

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
        I always look up slightly.. it helps push the chest out a little and give your back better alignment i think.. never look down
        Exactly, looking down may also cause you to lean forward and either get off balance or come up on your toes.

Comment

Agree with the guys here. Rippetoe is an amazing book and the man has alot of great things to offer, but the main thing to focus on is your posture and to me, looking straight helps my posture like jd said.

If I might add, any book that has 50+ pages on how to perform an exercise correctly is a great tool and reference

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
            I usually look straight ahead. Have not tried the floor option but I use to look at a spot about 6 feet up on the wall in front of me.
            I look forward also in the mirror I onced tried that technique of looking at the ground in all honesty its damn dangerouns I think my form went out of wack and I almost tipped over............

Comment

Originally posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE
              I look forward also in the mirror I onced tried that technique of looking at the ground in all honesty its damn dangerouns I think my form went out of wack and I almost tipped over............

looking at the ground is poor technique. your too look straight ahead, if not a little upward...

Comment

Looking up at the ceiling work best for me.

Comment

I squat about 2 feet away from a wall, so it's impossible for me to look 6-10 feet in front of me. I have a spot that's about a foot above my head, and keep focused on that spot throughout the lift

Comment

Originally posted by glb
                    When doing squats, where should your head and eyes be focused? In Rippetoe's book, he says to pick a spot on the floor 6 to 10 feet ahead of you and keep your eyes focused on that spot.
                    look a bit up, dont want to put stress onto your neck. i feel doing that my traps/delts support the bar sufficiently and itll prevent injury. as long as you arent looking down you should be ok though
                    I am Tech2TheLimit on the bb.com forums

Comment

I higly suggest looking up compared to straight ahead..

it helps keep your back straight, chest out, and the pressure centered more towards the heels than the toes...

these are all crucial points when you begin getting into the repetitions that become more difficult, and will help prevent poor form which could result in injury.

when looking straight forward, you are more likely (in my experince) to lean forward, hunch over, put the pressure into your toes, and generally not be able to get the reps that you could with proper form and possibly even injure yourself

this is all exaggerated even more so when looking down!

plus, it elimaintes any distractions that could be caused by a mirror in front of you
                      Last edited by jiritt0; 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I look straight ahead when going down and eyes up when pushing back up.
                        laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Working...
                        X