OT: Taking a week off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Taking a week off

Didn't know where exactly to post this, but I wanted to put it somewhere where it would get the most views and possible responses. I have recently come to the conclusion that I really need a week off from training. To be honest, I rarely take time off, unless it's a few days due to being out of town, or something like that. So with all that being said, I wanted to see how many of you guys take a week off from training every few months, and also, what is your diet like? In regards to diet, I'm basically referring to how many calories you take in, if you are on a bulk. I'm guessing that my calories shouldn't be quite as high since I will not be working out. Any input is appreciated.

if you are taking a week off, you should eat above-maintainence calories for that week.. why? because for that week off, you are giving your body a chance to recover.. Can't recover something without nutrients, and lots of it.
    www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
      if you are taking a week off, you should eat above-maintainence calories for that week.. why? because for that week off, you are giving your body a chance to recover.. Can't recover something without nutrients, and lots of it.
      Totally agree... and don't worry about feeling bloated or looking ripped / flat during the week off. Chances are you simply won't "look" as good during the week off, but you will bounce right back (and then some).

Comment

Thanks for both responses -- I figured I wouldn't look my best, but I really think my body needs it.

Comment

If you can take a week off then kudos to you, it takes a lot of will power to NOT drag your ass out to the gym and start pushing some iron.

When in TX for 2 weeks, I couldn't find a gym. The balleys in Humble wanted $18 for a drop in and wouldn't cut a deal for two lousy weeks. I resorted to deadlifting my bed, trying to bench press it and curling my suitcase... it just didn't work out. The best thing was, like John said, was to spoil myself rotten. In a good way though. I ate amazingly healthy (considering we ate out every night), and basically ate all of the best possible foods I could get my grubby mitts on. My work gave me $400.00 per diem and we went wild and spent every penny of it. I spent my time enjoying all the best texas steak houses I could find. I heart TX.

Eat hard, sleep adequately (too much burns me out) and I think that your body will thank you for it.

In my personal experience, I absolutely tore the gym up and almost all of my lifts increased noticably. I am considering taking some time off as well, but I can't shake the mentality that I'm always breaking through a plateue and shouldn't stop. Take a day or two off for me and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
            If you can take a week off then kudos to you, it takes a lot of will power to NOT drag your ass out to the gym and start pushing some iron.

When in TX for 2 weeks, I couldn't find a gym. The balleys in Humble wanted $18 for a drop in and wouldn't cut a deal for two lousy weeks. I resorted to deadlifting my bed, trying to bench press it and curling my suitcase... it just didn't work out. The best thing was, like John said, was to spoil myself rotten. In a good way though. I ate amazingly healthy (considering we ate out every night), and basically ate all of the best possible foods I could get my grubby mitts on. My work gave me $400.00 per diem and we went wild and spent every penny of it. I spent my time enjoying all the best texas steak houses I could find. I heart TX.

Eat hard, sleep adequately (too much burns me out) and I think that your body will thank you for it.

In my personal experience, I absolutely tore the gym up and almost all of my lifts increased noticably. I am considering taking some time off as well, but I can't shake the mentality that I'm always breaking through a plateue and shouldn't stop. Take a day or two off for me and let us know how it goes.

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. Heh, why do you think I said I really have never taken a true week off. But I am now realizing that my body REALLY needs it and my CNS will thank me in the end. I am noticing many of the signs of overtraining, so since I am about to switch my routin up, I figure I might as well give my body a break for a week in between.

Comment

Glad to hear that things are looking like they'll turn out positive, man.

For the most part, I beleive that as long as you are taking care of yourself you can get thrashed in the gym again and again. But I wouldn't doubt that our bodies would love us for a little time off. I actually just got sick ironically so I'll be joining you at least for a few restful days off.

I actually feel pretty awesome right now. Can't wait to get back in the swing of things. I talked to a friend about resting after I posted here, and he said a week off worked magic for him. Started training on the same 5 day split, and into his second week was hitting all sorts of new personal records. Don't forget to follow up once you're pushin the iron again.

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
                Glad to hear that things are looking like they'll turn out positive, man.

For the most part, I beleive that as long as you are taking care of yourself you can get thrashed in the gym again and again. But I wouldn't doubt that our bodies would love us for a little time off. I actually just got sick ironically so I'll be joining you at least for a few restful days off.

I actually feel pretty awesome right now. Can't wait to get back in the swing of things. I talked to a friend about resting after I posted here, and he said a week off worked magic for him. Started training on the same 5 day split, and into his second week was hitting all sorts of new personal records. Don't forget to follow up once you're pushin the iron again.

Yup, and I have heard the same thing. I'm not only expecting to me nice and refreshed when returning to the gym, but also extra motivated. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

No problem, Mos.

As of friday (last workout day was thursday) I've actually been sick for the first time in a while and can't head to the gym. So I've kinda looked this stuff up, plus spent too much time on the forums lol.

Comment

I took last week off, but not by choice, I hurt my back and I could barely move at all last week. I was going crazy here, not being able to lift. But the back had to rest and heal, and I wasn't going to go and push it and make it worse.. So I survived the week off, Im ready for todays work out though.. Ill go easy this week, then start back up hard again next week. I don't want to reaggravate the back thats for sure..
                    If you have to cheat to win, why bothering playing..

Comment

i noramlly take a week off every 10 weeks
                      my new prog has me doing unlaoding weeks where i train at 70%
                      Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

Working...
                      X