dumbell bench press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumbell bench press

my gym only has dumbells and today i did my personal best i benched 85 pound dumbells 3x10 and i was woundering if i can do that any idea how much i could do on the barbell?
    thanks

Mehhh hard to tell, especially when you're able to do 3 sets of 10. Often people shoot for those 10 reps and they could probably do more, or use a heavier weight...just a lot of factors.

Basically the best way to tell is to just sit down and do it...and the only way your barbell bench is really going to go up...is by doing barbell bench.

But for mild amusement I'm gonna say you could pull out 5 reps at 225. Nothing more than a guess. We should start a pool and see who gets the closest.

Comment

yea im saving my cash to buy a bench press i guess when i get it ill find out
      thanks for the help

Comment

and btw im from the burgh too lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro973
          But for mild amusement I'm gonna say you could pull out 5 reps at 225. Nothing more than a guess. We should start a pool and see who gets the closest.
          Ehh, I wouldn't be too sure. I just BB Benched for the first real time yesterday and got up 175x10 and 195x4, while my DB Bench is 95x6. You really have to do BB Bench to find out how much you can do.

Comment

Very different movements, you will just have to wait and find out.

Comment

Just for sake of argument, a friend can hit 80x10x3 and the last few are ass kickers for him. He struggles to get 185 up 5 times. Personally, I hit 225x6x3 (currently knocked it down to 185x12x4 to change it up). However, on DB I only hit 75's for about 8x3. Like was said, different movements, different muscle stabilizers working. Having a high DB press guarantees nothing in the way of BB press unless you're massive.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
              Purple Wraath
              Green Magnitude
              Orange Triad
              White Flood
              Blue Up
              100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
              US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                Just for sake of argument, a friend can hit 80x10x3 and the last few are ass kickers for him. He struggles to get 185 up 5 times. Personally, I hit 225x6x3 (currently knocked it down to 185x12x4 to change it up). However, on DB I only hit 75's for about 8x3. Like was said, different movements, different muscle stabilizers working. Having a high DB press guarantees nothing in the way of BB press unless you're massive.

Agreed, except I'm sort of the opposite of you. I do pretty well with the DB press (110 x 6-8), but can only get 225 x 4 on a good day typically.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
                  Agreed, except I'm sort of the opposite of you. I do pretty well with the DB press (110 x 6-8), but can only get 225 x 4 on a good day typically.
                  Yup, my point exactly. If I got wrist wraps I might go heavier on DB's, just haven't gotten around to it tbh.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
                  Purple Wraath
                  Green Magnitude
                  Orange Triad
                  White Flood
                  Blue Up
                  100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by boxernbjj
                    my gym only has dumbells and today i did my personal best i benched 85 pound dumbells 3x10 and i was woundering if i can do that any idea how much i could do on the barbell?
                    thanks
                    Wow, your gym sucks. You could prolly bench more than the average dude though.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                      Wow, your gym sucks. You could prolly bench more than the average dude though.
                      According to what science and what's the "average dude"?

Most people would say that if you can bench your weight, up to about 1.5 times your weight, that those numbers would represent the average. So, until he performs an actual bench, to base it off his dumbbell total is rather....lacking.

Current Supps:
                      Purple Wraath
                      Green Magnitude
                      Orange Triad
                      White Flood
                      Blue Up
                      100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                        According to what science and what's the "average dude"?

Most people would say that if you can bench your weight, up to about 1.5 times your weight, that those numbers would represent the average. So, until he performs an actual bench, to base it off his dumbbell total is rather....lacking.

I even highly doubt thats the average heck go ask anyone on the street how much they bench they probably tell ya 100lbs or so.

Comment

i dont think many people can lift their weight. but to someone who lifts regularly their weight to 1.5x their weight is prolly average.

i know i barely top my weight anymore.. but i havent been lifting for that type of goal, i just wanna look good not be able to bench alot. im shallow and vain.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                            i know i barely top my weight anymore.. but i havent been lifting for that type of goal, i just wanna look good not be able to bench alot. im shallow and vain.

Comment

theres kids in my campus gym that lift like 300-400 on bench, some for reps. but their fat and have pussy school girl legs. i feel bad for them. I'm cool sacrificing strength for less bodyfat and more defnintion.

I used to weigh 275 when iw as playing football and was biiiggg.. than i dropped to 175 before college, than bulked to like 250ish during first two years of college, at one point jr year i was like 230 and i maxed bench at 345.. now im like 215ish and rep 230ish for sets... havent maxed out in awhile cos my lifting partner is at home student teaching, so i just do reps of everything w/o spots

its all about feeling good, staying healthy/fit/lean/whatever.. and lookin good to me.. not many chicks care if you can bench 300+

Comment

Working...
                              X