Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you know when to up your calories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you know when to up your calories?

okay, so what I've read about fatloss has lead me to this..

lose fat by dropping cals.
    as fat loss slows, slightly decrease cals and/or increase cardio.
    repeat.

at some point, as you get leaner, you are supposed to increase your calories.

why is this? how many cals? how do you know you're at this point?

Increased calories will start getting the metabolism kicking in more. Should probably start with like 200-500 calories each week increase. You'd probably be at this point when you start no longer seeing a change in body comp.

Just my thoughts...

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

so when fatloss starts to slow down, you add calories instead of decreasing them? wouldn't that make you gain weight back??

Comment

you want to slowly increase your calories back up to a maintenance level so you are consuming the correct amount of calories that your body needs ... not increasing to the point that you provide a caloric surplus (bulking)
        Last edited by strester; 03-14-2007, 04:28 PM.
        jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by strester
          you want to slowly increase your calories back up to a maintenance level so you are consuming the correct amount of calories that your body needs ... not increasing to the point that you provide a caloric surplus (bulking)
          Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

thanks!!! how do you know when you're at the point that you need to increase cals back to maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by crucialkc
              thanks!!! how do you know when you're at the point that you need to increase cals back to maintenance?
              You're no longer seeing a change in the mirror or on the scale as you may have been before.

Current Supps:
              Purple Wraath
              Green Magnitude
              Orange Triad
              White Flood
              Blue Up
              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

so once fatloss slows down to the point that you don't notice any changes anymore, you UP the calories? this sounds like the complete opposite of what I've always been told..

Comment

so once fatloss slows down to the point that you don't notice any changes anymore, you UP the calories? this sounds like the complete opposite of what I've always been told..
                  no, you keep cutting calories or increasing cardio until you reach the fat loss goal that you have ... then you slowly increase back up to maintenance to not lose anymore fat and become lighter than you want to be ...

hit the target weight/bf% you want, then slowly increase back to maintenance to stay at that that target ... or continue to decrease calories to cut even lower, or increase calories beyond maintenance to do bulking .... I think we lost the point that you first achieve the goal you have set for yourself

hope that clears things up
                  jdouchebag for president

Comment

no, you keep cutting calories or increasing cardio until you reach the fat loss goal that you have ... then you slowly increase back up to maintenance to not lose anymore fat and become lighter than you want to be ...

hit the target weight/bf% you want, then slowly increase back to maintenance to stay at that that target ... or continue to decrease calories to cut even lower, or increase calories beyond maintenance to do bulking .... I think we lost the point that you first achieve the goal you have set for yourself

hope that clears things up
                    thanks a ton! that clarified everything for me!

Comment

thanks a ton! that clarified everything for me!
                      You could try carb cycling as well. The key to that is actually reaching ketosis, and bringing your metabolism back from the dead at least once a week with a refeed. A lot of weight loss is mental as well, sometimes you see yourself not changing although you actually are losing weight.

Comment

Originally posted by RisingAgainst

You could try carb cycling as well. The key to that is actually reaching ketosis, and bringing your metabolism back from the dead at least once a week with a refeed. A lot of weight loss is mental as well, sometimes you see yourself not changing although you actually are losing weight.
                        Exactly my point. If you do a refeed / carbup / etc you can boost metabolism that has slowed.

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                          Exactly my point. If you do a refeed / carbup / etc you can boost metabolism that has slowed.
                          Yes, agreed, but if you don't actually reach ketosis, there's no point in running low carbs at all, it's easier to run a clean diet and bust your ass. In order to reach ketosis it has to be NO carb.

Comment

Yes, agreed, but if you don't actually reach ketosis, there's no point in running low carbs at all, it's easier to run a clean diet and bust your ass. In order to reach ketosis it has to be NO carb.
                            I disagree that ketosis is the only reason to run low carb/carb cycling. Glycogen depletion is still achieved on lower carbs FAR before Ketosis is attained. Carb Cycling and a Ketogenic Diet are two ENTIRELY seperate animals.

SCT
                            Back to the basics!

Comment

Ketosis isn't required for you to lose fat for every individual. It's simply another path he could take. Refeeds / carb cycling / etc can be utilized in any decent "diet" and be effective. Just like anything though, it's effectiveness depends on how good the "diet" and how hard you're working and pushing it at the gym.
                              However, his question is refering to boosting a slowed metabolism / fat loss. By simply looking at your diet, taking a day to boost your calories up to a decent level and more or less "resetting" the body, you'll keep up fat loss. Giving a specific number of calories depends on you. It depends on your diet, how many calories coming in, how many you are burning (RMR/BMR) at rest and at play, etc.
                              You're body looks at the surplus crucial and realizes that since there is more, there is less need to fully hold onto all the calories you've worked down to in the cut. Since it sees this, when you resume the cut after, your metabolism will still be ramped with less calories to work with, thus moving it into using fat and muscle to continue operating. Obviously boosting protein, meals, etc in the diet will stave off most of the muscle loss and the body would use more fat.
                              Like I mentioned before, if you see weight loss/ fat loss slowing down or the mirror not being as nice as it once was, you should probably re-up for a boost then resume the cut. Good luck.

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Working...