CROWLER's Triathlon log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three workouts today

AM Swim I can't believe I really don't even remember what I did lol I think it was some easy intervals.

Bike Workout This was a fun. 3 mile warmup then I did
    2 x 2 mile intervals
    10 x 1 mile intervals

I did them on an out and back course. There might have been a little bit of wind against me on the way out and of course with me on the way back. BUT the 1 mile intervals out I was doing them at 24.3 MPH Then coming back I was at 25 MPH and even got up to 26 MPH a few times.

These were REALLY tough, but I love this sort of tourturous workout against the clock. I just picture what things will look like on race day and hit it as hard as I can.

Does anyone else train with anger? Today I intentionally got myself pretty POed before the workout and then I put the hammer down.

2nd Swim Workout I did a continuous swim of almost 20 minutes. This was REAL nice. I didn't even have to push real hard. My shoulder is feeling ok so everything is right on track.

Overall faster times on the bike than I thought and able to push the night swim more than I thought I would so a all around good day.

CROWLER
    President

www.AnabolicInnovations.com
    www.HealthyCheatFoods.com

Comment

Originally posted by CROWLER
      Does anyone else train with anger? Today I intentionally got myself pretty POed before the workout and then I put the hammer down.
      Weights, yes. Multisports, heck no. I am the type who constantly monitors heart rate, breathing, stroke technique, stride, body posture, etc.. if I were angry my chubby ass would be all over the place.

BTW, what type of bike are you riding?

SCT
      Back to the basics!

Comment

Cervelo p2. It is nice BUT now I have NO excuse if I go slow lol

Yesterday was my day off so nothing to report there.

I will say I am starting to notice something strange. I appear more lean, infact my wife remarked and asked if I was dieting. BUT my weight is up a pound maybe even two pounds. Approx 202 or 203.
        My weights are up in the gym. This doesn't really make sense since my cardio is HUGE by bodybuilding standards. Oh well I will just enjoy it while it lasts lol

Todays workout was well can we just start out by saying pretty darn GREAT! by my standards. I did almost a half mile ocean swim followed immediately by a bike ride which was truly amazing. I really do not see how the MPH I was reaching are possible considering I have only been riding for less than 3 months and before that it was over 2 years ago.

So I am not going to even tell you the speed I will just wait and see if I can put the numbers up this Saturday. Total bike ride was only 22 miles BUT 18 of it was a pretty good push.

Which is GREAT seeing as how my race is only a 1/2mile swim followed by a 12 mile bike.

So that is it see you tomorrow.

CROWLER
        President

Comment

Monday's workouts

3 workouts

First workout was weights.

Chest
          Tris
          Back
          Bis

My lifts are doing so well I am VERY happy.
          I am also pleased I can actually see some upper chest growth too.
          This will be my last weight workout for the week as my race is on Saturday and I am tapering for it.

2nd workout Biking

I did 4 mile x 4 repeats. My speed is just not making sense to me. I am new to using a cyclo computer to keep track of my speed. I will let my ride on race day show what speed I am doing now because it just seems too fast lol It is REALLY some fun training to go so fast.

I pushed hard for each of the 4 mile repeats and then biked an easy 1/2 mile inbetween. I did the normal 3 mile warm up and 3 mile cool down. So the total for the day is 22miles

3rd workout swimming

This swim workout I did some repeats. I did a total of 14 repeats. Total distance was probably 1/2 mile they went well BUT my tris are STILL getting really pumped which isn't too good.

That is it.

CROWLER
          President

Comment

This week is a taper so I will be at full strength and ready to race on Saturday.

Today was basically cleaning my bike, putting the race wheels on, getting everything adjusted to fit the wheels such as the derailleur, brakes etc. I did a quick 12 miles on the bike and will do an easy swim tonight.

Tomorrow will be an off day and Friday will be another easy day with some swimming and biking.

Today I also am getting everything together so I don't forget something for the race.

CROWLER
            President

Comment

Bad news just found out the temperature tomorrow is only 47 and 15 MPH wind. Sounds pretty cold especially when getting on the bike being all wet.

Today's workouts will just be an easy swim and an easy bike ride just to check it out and make sure everything is working correctly.

I am trying to figure out what to wear that I can put on fast after the swim, pulling on any clothing is going to be SLOW seeing as how I will be wet. BUT I don't want to be cold on the bike and pull something. hmmmmmmmm will have to think about this one.

47 I am thinking is cold enough I may even need gloves. WTH Happened to FL weather lol

CROWLER
              Last edited by CROWLER; 03-16-2007, 09:32 AM.
              President

Comment

Bad news just found out the temperature tomorrow is only 47 and 15 MPH wind. Sounds pretty cold especially when getting on the bike being all wet.

Today's workouts will just be an easy swim and an easy bike ride just to check it out and make sure everything is working correctly.

I am trying to figure out what to wear that I can put on fast after the swim, pulling on any clothing is going to be SLOW seeing as how I will be wet. BUT I don't want to be cold on the bike and pull something. hmmmmmmmm will have to think about this one.

47 I am thinking is cold enough I may even need gloves. WTH Happened to FL weather lol

CROWLER

As for bike gloves.. at that temp FUDGE yes.

SCT
                Back to the basics!

Comment

water is 67 which is quite a bit warmer than my pool at home

Also I have a very nice long sleeve wetsuit YIPPY!

Thanks

CROWLER
                  Last edited by CROWLER; 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM.
                  President

Comment

Wellllllllll I woke up and my hamstrings were hurting not sure why.
                    It WAS cold and the wind was 15 MPH

There was a total of approx 300 racers, almost all of them were doing the triathlon where as I did the aquabike which is just the swimming and biking because my ankle is still bad from 5 years ago.

I started the swim and my game plan was to go nice and easy so I could at least finish it. Then go out pretty hard on the bike, see how things went and decide what to do from there. I felt real smooth and seemed like I was gliding through the water pretty easily.

Well about 1/4 of the way through I actually was PASSING a couple people and I was swimming hard but not killing myself.

1/2 way through I started pushing it more, my shoulders and triceps were not having fun BUT overall I felt good. I continued at that pace and the last 1/4 I pushed it more.

The run from the water to the bikes was almost a 1/4 of a mile. I felt fine and didn't push it too much. I got in the transition area and I took my wetsuit off REAL easy, better than I ever did in practice.

So I rip through the transition area and I had left my bike shoes on my bike, so I just put my helmet on and hopped on the bike and got my feet in the shoes as I was pedaling. I will admit 52 degrees in just a wet Speedo it PROBABLY was cold but I was ready to put the hammer down and didn't notice the cold.

Immediately there was a crash right in front of me, I barely was able to quick swerve to the left and avoid it. I got down in the aero position and set about my task of the 12 miles. I spotted some people in front of me and set my sights on passing them.

Not too much later I passed them and saw the next couple people, did the same thing and so on and so on. Things were going GOOD. Before I knew it I was at the half way point. The wind was there that is for SURE, BUT it wasn't bothering me in the least.

I came to do battle and was ready for ANYTHING. No bragging, honestly but some of these people I passed had the VERY latest equipment and were MOVING, but it seemed like they were almost standing still.

EVERYTHING was clicking on all cylinders it was FANTASTIC. I checked later and I passed over 30 people on the bike

I got toward the end of the bike and REALLY turned it on, came to a screeching halt at the end, jumped off the bike and sprinted to the bike rack.

Then ALMOST disaster ALMOST struck. I was running and I could NOT figure out which way to go. Almost everyone had to go on and do the 5K run but my race was over so I should have gone straight to the finish line but I couldn't figure out how to get there. People laughed because they thought I was suppose to run but I WASN"T lol

I finally found where to go, I sprinted and JUST as I crossed the finish line the dry heavies came. So there I am and was down on my hands and knees with the dry heaves. I finished FIRST of ALL the Aquabike people BUT as I say there were only a couple people. You can see I am on my hands and knees puking, this shows I timed the race perfectly.

IMO if you puke before the finish you went too hard and screwed up your race. If you do NOT puke you probably did not push yourself hard enough.

So I just checked my results I had the 40th fastest swim and the 7th fastest bike of EVERYONE, BUT they had to run after.

I was so VERY VERY pleased with the day. Oh yea I averaged OVER 23 MPH if the course was the distance the race director said it was, I am very happy about especially with the strong wind.

I really do not feel like I killed myself out there and things went better than I could have imagines. It was all just so smooth and fluid; I think the visualization I do each night before I go to sleep really paid off.

I had the best fun I have had in I don't know how many years!

Next race is in one month

CROWLER
                    President

Comment

Awesome Triathlon report Crowler! Sounds like your plan was pulled off to perfection.. I don't know about the entire puking thing, but it does make sense. That is a VERY nice bike speed and a VERY respectable swim rank. I can't wait to see the next month's race, you better beat this month's!

SCT
                      Back to the basics!

Comment

Thanks buddy, nice of you to say.

Not sure I can beat the bike speed. It really just doesn't seem that I could go that fast in 15MPH winds so I am really doubting the course was as long as they say it was.

CROWLER
                        President

Comment

Thanks buddy, nice of you to say.

Not sure I can beat the bike speed. It really just doesn't seem that I could go that fast in 15MPH winds so I am really doubting the course was as long as they say it was.

CROWLER
                          Don't you have a computer on your bike dude? You can't be riding a nice Cervelo P2 without having an onboard computer :P

23mph INTO the wind is QUITE impressive. Right now I'm averaging about 21-22mph on my old Cannondale.

SCT
                          Back to the basics!

Comment

lol Actually I do have a cyclocomputer BUT it has a rear wheel pickup so when I put on the disc it wouldn't work. I actually am glad as I think if I had seen my speed I would have thought OH no I better slow down because I am going to fast and wont last.

No no not 23 into the wind. I averaged 23.5 miles over the 12 miles and the wind was 15 MPH

20 - 21 is FAST, CONGRATS!

Oh yea my 3 workouts today

Swim Workout in the AM Split it up in 1/4s and did them hard, harder, hardest then easier.

2nd workout Weight workout
                            Chest
                            Bis
                            Tris

3rd workout run

I have a bad injury from 5 years ago BUT I am still going to try training for a full triathlon Swim Bike and Run later in the summer.

Did 1/2 mile run 10 second walk. Did this 3 times. Ankle of course is swollen but I am icing it.

That is it

CROWLER
                            President

Comment

Monday Day Off

Tuesday 2 workouts

Run Workout My ankle is still bad from 5 years ago but I am saying the heck with it and doing the best I can. I COULD just stay with AquaBike Races and never run in a race again but pfffffft I am going to try a series of triathlons up in NY this summer. So the first one is 3 months away and I am going to try and get in shape for it starting now.

I ran .5 mile and walked 10 yards 3 times for a total of 1.5 mile. Of course the ankle hurt and swelled up so iced it when I got home.

Swim Work out Did this at about 11 PM and it REALLY helped loosen my legs up. I did about a 1/2 mile split up into 4 seperate intervals.

Am happy with the speed of my run, actually I ordered a DVD on running form. I know seems strange but running at over 200lbs I need every advantage I can get

Wed 2 workouts

Bike workout 30 miles The wind was AMAZING today not sure how windy but it HAD to be gusting over 15 MPH BUT that didnt' matter one bit I HAMMERED it today. I just visualize the race in EXACTLY 1 month and went at it.

3 mile warm up then I did the following each with a 1/2 mile rest
                              4 mile
                              2 x3 miles
                              3x2 miles
                              4x1 miles
                              3 mile cool down.

My legs are SPENT. I was REALLY pushing it into the wind and with the wind. Didn't feel like I taxed my respritory system as much as I wanted but did hit the legs HARD.

I am HOPING this means I am actually getting more cardio fit and able to take the punishment better.

Tonight I will do a 1/2 mile swim with intervals. The race is only 1/3 of a mile so I am going to concentrate on shorter faster swims.

That is it.

See you later

CROWLER
                              President

Comment

Three workouts today
                                2 swim workouts and 1 run workout

AM Swim Workout Did 1/2 mile of intervals. Felt nice and strong good workout

Run Workout Did 2.5 miles! VERY pleased. I know it doesn't sound like much but I am STILL recovering from a bad accident 5 years ago. My ankle swelled up and I am icing it but that is pretty much every day life. I MIGHT be able to actually do a triathlon that includes running

Also I am trying to improve my running form. I know you would think running is just a simple thing you don't need to practice. Well I always did sprints in high school so my stride tends to be too long which is inefficient when running longer distances.

I can NOT believe I actually was not really winded during the 2.5 miles which I normally would be. I did go slow and I walked a few steps every .5 miles but I am on my way.

Swim Workout #2 Did 1/2 mile straight swim. Can NOT believe how much easier it is then just two weeks ago.

I am REALLY looking forward to my race on the 21st.

CROWLER
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X