No announcement yet.

CROWLER's Triathlon log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wont believe this I ran 3.2 MILES I have run a total of approx 5 miles in the past few years and I did a 2.5 couple days ago and a 3.2 today WOW I am PSYCHED>

Ankle is swollen and required icing afterwards but that is a daily thing now so no biggie.

But I am getting ahead of myself

FOURworkouts today Sunday

Weight Workout Chest, shoulders, tris, back and bis

Ran 3.2 miles walked for 5 seconds every half mile

Biked 20 steady miles no sprints just steady

Swam Over a half mile striaght swim and I felt COMPLETELY fine when I finished. Not even sore or breathing very hard.

The day was FANTASTIC! TONS of eating but my metabolism must have been screaming because I could eat ALOT over a 2 hour period and then half an hour later I was ready for my next workout.

A BANNER day for SURE

Ok next day Monday. Yikes woke up and was a little sore as you can imagine.

2 workouts

Bike 3 mile warm up 16 miles of TOUGH TOUGH intervals. VERY windy again. Legs were tired from yesterdays. 3 mile run. then did 2 mile cool down

Swim 1/2 mile with intervals.

GOOD day but feel tired. Tomorrow is day off

CROWLER
    President

www.AnabolicInnovations.com
    www.HealthyCheatFoods.com

Comment

3 workouts today.

Today was REAL nice. I am getting there and VERY happy with my progress

Run: 3.2 miles and I only stopped 3 times for 15 seconds each. I could have pushed through and not stopped but I am REALLY trying to work on my form. So when I felt it deteriorating to much I stopped and stretched.

I don't know how fast or slow I am going. I am just looking to increase the distance now and work on speed in a few weeks.

Bike: 30 miles Didn't push it hard, took it fairly easy averaged 18 MPH with a pretty good wind going. This was good

Swim: 1/2 mile swim. Did some interavals. Tris are getting less pumped so this makes it easier to go faster.

Next race is the 21st of next month I am PSYCHED!

CROWLER
      President

Comment

Just one workout today but it was BRUTAL!

Bike 3 mile warm up then 16 x 1mile intervals with 1/2 mile rest between each one. They just ABOUT killed me!

The last interval I was about to give up but then I got MAD! Part way through I just manned up and hit 27.4 MPH into the wind. I was CRANKING. When I finished I almost fell over lol

Tomorrow is a day off and I REALLY need it.

Race is in 3 weeks I sort of feel sorry for my competition lol just kidding.

CROWLER
        President

Comment

Ok two days of GREAT workouts

Saturday

Ran 3.8 miles
          Didn't stop or walk at all. I can NOT believe it. This is only the 10th time I have run in the past 5 or so years because of a bad ankle injury. Of course it swelled up but I am icing it a couple times a day and all is good.

Bike 20 miles Pretty easy pace just to get some miles in

Swam 1/2 mile REALLY good workout. I am trying to improve my form and dramatically changed my hand path. I REALLY think this alone will make me quite a bit faster so GREAT DAY

Sunday

Bike 60 MILES yes that is right 60 miles This is double the distance I have gone before in the past 5 or 6 years. AND I didn't stop once except to refill my water bottle one time.

The last 5 miles were BRUTAL. I started at about 11:30 AM and had not eaten anything. ;( By the time I got to about mile 55 my body was definitely trying to burn fat for its fuel. I even had a hard time staying in a nice straight line.

So 2 GREAT days I am VERY happy and looking forward to the next race.

Tomorrow is a day off

CROWLER
          Last edited by CROWLER; 04-01-2007, 10:29 PM.
          President

Comment

Do you feel good (mentally and physically) now that your doing all the cardio/running??

I've been skipping cardio and just plain bulking (large amounts of food + heavy lifting) and overall have been feeling sluggish...

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
              Do you feel good (mentally and physically) now that your doing all the cardio/running??

I've been skipping cardio and just plain bulking (large amounts of food + heavy lifting) and overall have been feeling sluggish...
              Definitely feel good. Better at 200lbs than I did when I was not doing cadio. After the triathlon season ends in Oct I will go to a clean bulk and try and put on a few more pounds. Overall my goal would be to race as a muscular and lean 225lbs but I don't know how realistic that is because I REALLY like winning trophys lol

CROWLER
              President

Comment

Well todays workout seemed almost effortless. I know even as I typed that it doesn't seem possible. Here I am less than an hour after finishing and I feel fine.

Run 4.2 miles straight

Swim .6 miles

Sort of strange. The practice I have been doing with both my swimming and running form is REALLY paying off. And it has only been a week or so. SIMPLY amazing and of course VERY nice,

CROWLER
                President

Comment

Bike 4 x 4 mile intervals I crushed these things! Actually I crushed myself. Speed was nothing spectacular. not sure what was up. I probably should get a heart rate monitor and go by that but I already have so much stuff I don't know maybe, maybe not

Swim 1/2 mile straight swim New form is going GOOD! Left shoulder is hurting so I am icing it right now.

Lot more strain with the new form because I am moving alot more water which is good.

CROWLER
                  President

Comment

2 workouts today

Bike 20 miles but I did a 16 mile time trial
                    averaged 21.5 miles I know it sounds slow and it was BUT very windy 15 - 20 mph wind so I am not sure what to think.

I could guess I could have gone another 1 MPH faster with less wind another 1 MPH with race wheels and helmet and probably another .5 MPH faster if it was an actual race. Of course those are guesstimates. That would me at 24 MPH which would be REAL nice, but not sure it is realistic.

I need to get to 25 MPH in a race to dominate so that is my goal

Swam 1/2 mile straight. Shoulder is feeling bad so I am icing it. Went well I was pleased but nothing special

CROWLER
                    President

Comment

3 workouts

Did some Bike Run intervals

Did this 4 times. Bike 4 miles then immediately run 1 mile, then immediately bike 4 miles and run 1 mile for a total of 16 miles biking and 4 miles running.

Idea is to get the body used to going from one to the other so in a race it is no big deal.

Swam 1/2 mile
                      Not sure what to think.

My speed on the bike is not where I would like it but there are so many factors, wind, rain, running afterwards etc.

Only the next race will tell how I am doing. Next race is in 2 weeks.

I should think about getting a power meter but for $1000 I am not sure it is worth it for me.

That is all

CROWLER
                      President

Comment

3 workouts back to back

Bike 16 miles

Immediately ran 1.6 miles

immediately swam 1/2 mile

Instead of splitting up my workouts I am going to try doing some back to back workouts. This should save time because it will mean only 1 warm up and 1 cool down instead of 3 of each.

Also I will be swimming last as a nice cool down and to help me with recovery from the bike and run.

That is it. Last weight workout before the next race will be either Sun or Monday.

Last hard bike/run/swim workouts will be Tuesday of next week, race is on next Saturday.

CROWLER
                        President

Comment

2 workouts

Open water swim 6/10ths of a mile then ran XXX Miles (See Below) immediately afterwards on the beach

Well this workout simply stunned me. I have ALWAYS been a horrible runner. even when my VO2 Max was good I just couldn't run long distances fast. I could sprint fast but was completely out of breath trying to run long distances at a fast pace.

So as I say a few weeks ago I COMPLETELY shortened my stride and the results have been AMAZING>

I did the swim and half way through my tris were so pumped it was more and more difficult to continue but I made it. Got out of the water ran and took my wetsuit off and put my shoes off. I was REALLY breathing hard and thought DAMN I REALLY am not ready for the start of the triathlons in June( I am only doing Aquabike races so far)

Then a miraculous thing happened as I ran I actually got my breath back and was breathing LESS hard than when I was swimming(which I have always been fairly good at).,

So I kept running the sand was mostly hard packed but some areas were pretty tough to get through.

I kept to my short quick steps got to an area of the beach that was all hard rocks so I turned around, thinking WOW I wanted to run 2 miles but I am SURE this is going to be far less than 2 miles because I am not out of breath and no tired(little did I know how wrong I was ).

BUT when I turned around I was running INTO the wind. To my amazement, AGAIN, I was able to keep going with the short quick steps and not killing myself.

I finished, thinking DARN I didn't run very far and LITERALLY within 1 minute I was barely breathing hard. My wife saw me and she said what happened did you have to walk? I said why, she said because you are not breathing hard. In reality my breathing had returned ALMOST to normal in just that short a time.

Now at this point I didn't know how far I had run and I still do not know how fast.

We got in the car and I wasn't feeling too great about my future prospects of being on the podium at my next 6 races but I NEVER lose hope.

So when we left I clocked it on the care odometer, it was 3.4 MILES!!!!!!!!! This is GREAT because my longest triathlon is just 1/2 mile swim ( I swam 6/10ths today) and 3.1 mile run with a 12 mile bike, I am very confident on the bike so not worried about that.

SOooooooooooooooooo I was and still am psyched to go up to New York and do some damage come June. :head:

CROWLER
                          President

Comment

Not much to report, I have a race in 4 days so I am tapering for the event. Little swimming a little easy biking a little easy running.

Going over my bike to make sure it is all ready.

Actually I think I am hitting it just about perfect. I was over training a bit, got a sore throat, couldn't sleep well etc which is exactly where I was hoping to be.

I believe in a rebound effect if you can time the over recovery to land on or very near race day.

Getting a little ansy, just trying to chill and be ready for battle

I have 8 more races this year and this is one of the stepping stones BUT I have to do my very best or I will get crushed in this race, no need to be looking any further down the road then this Saturday.

I probably wont report anything the rest of the week.

CROWLER
                            President

Comment

Quick run down. I took 2nd place over all, the winner beat me by 45 seconds. Keep in mind this was an aquabike (swim and bike) and most people did the triathlong(swim, bike and run)

NO EXCUSES again what follows are NOT excuses for my crappy performace. I felt like a dang newbie out there and probably psyched myself out. Simply amazing a guy with so much experience, ,meaning ME, could do such a bad job of my tactics and my racing this race.

WHo knows maybe I did do well but was beat by a faster person but it feels TERRIBLE.

I went out too fast in the swim and again too fast in the bike. I lost to a guy who weighs 35lbs less (in triathlongs and Aqua bike lighter weight is MUCH better) than I do but I was still pretty bummed out not to go away with a win.

I didn't even know he was infront of me. Maybe I could have done something if I knew he was but I really don't think so.

I finished up the race crossed the finish line and was laid out in the parking lot puking and dry heaving. My nose hurt so much from puking out it I had to take some pain killers later on.

It SEEMS I paced the race perfect as I did not feel like getting sick til the end but who knows. I am completely clueless at this point, I don't even know where to go at this point to improve.

Probably part of what bummed me was when I crossed the finish line I was announced as the winner. It was not until MUCH later my wife told me no you were in second place.

The entire next day I felt bad too, just could NOT shake the bad feeling I had. I kept thinking how embarressing I have to go back on the board and give this race report, IT really bothered me and this is why I have put it off this long.

I went over the race a hundred and one times in my head and could NOT for the life of me find where I could have picked up that 45 seconds. Maybe if I had actually gone slower in the beginning I would have been faster overall I just don't know.

The bike part was 25% longer than the last one I did and I went 22.7 MPH with wind around 10 - 15 MPH.

I had the 11th fastest bike of ALL the aqua bikers and triathletes. My swim time was within 20 seconds of the 5th fastest racer. I race in the 45 - 49 year old category and I out weigh most by 30 - 40 lbs but it still doesn't ease the pain of losing.

I felt pretty bad for most of the swim. A quarter of the way into the swim I KNEW I had gone too fast but not much I could do.

I could NOT keep a straight line to save myself and swam much too far going outside the bouys and having to go back. I pretty much horrible the ENTIRE bike ride just never clicked.

Felt COMPLETELY bummed about my race I just pretty much sucked. NO excuses I just have to bring a better version of myself.

I pretty much know for a fact the guy that beat me cheated (my wife has the pics)but really to me it does NOT matter. I should have been fast enough that his cheating did not determine the outcome of the race.

I meet him again the same race same location in one month. No promises what will happen.

I am going to take this log into stealth mode and come back in a month with the results from next months race. Sort of a Rocky goes into seclusion to train thing

So that is all from me in this thread until the end of next month after the race.

Take care.

CROWLER
                              President

Comment

Ok I have come out of triathlon hiding

Short story I won

I took my training up to 240 miles biking and 7 miles of swimming per week and it really paid off. I was over 2 minutes faster it is ALL good.

Training continues at a very high level and have added the running back it as I will be doing full triathlons with the swimming biking and running.

Still concentrating on the 'sprint' races which take about and hour to complete of 1/2 mile swim 15 mile bike and 3.1 miles running.

Things look good for the rest of the season. I am still maintaining my 200lbs and pretty darn lean. I eat ahhh basically anything. Really I do eat very clean then if I find my body weight slipping I throw in some other foods mostly pizza and or gatorade and simple sugars.

CROWLER
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X