CROWLER's Triathlon log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CROWLER's Triathlon log

SCT has inspired me to start my own triathlong log.

I will be updating every few days.

I am doing a triathlon in 2 weeks. I am going to compete at a little over 200lbs so I qualify for a division called Clydesdale not sure if I will do that or just run in the open/age group entry.

I have a severe ankle injury from an accident about 6 years ago so not sure how the running will go.

Actually the first race I have is an aqua bike. You swim half a mile then bike 20k. I have not swam nearly as much as I should but the bike training is going pretty good.

Well I am off for a 15 - 20 mile bike followed by a 2 mile run.

Talk to you later

CROWLER
    President

www.AnabolicInnovations.com
    www.HealthyCheatFoods.com

Well I did chest, bis, back and tris then went for an 18 mile bike ride well over 20 MPH and then did 1.5 mile run.

Lifting was GOOD. Hit a couple PRs at this weight. I do a modified HIT/DC program. Time under tension is most important so lifts are NOT alot of weight but I feel the damage they are doing lol

Things like 225 incline 1 sec up 4 sec down I do 12 reps, rest for 5 deep breaths do 3 more reps, rest 5 more deep breaths then do 2 more reps. If I had a spotter I could do more but am in my back barn lifting by myself. Hate to make my wife a widow lol

Bike ride was sort of strange, got pains in my hamstrings within the first 10 mins, tried stretching. They did go away so the next 45 mins were interesting. LOTS of wind but I was happy with my speed.

The run was not as good as I would have liked. I had to hobble for about half a mile, my ankle is pretty bad today swollen up and hurts. Some days are better than others. So over all I would say a 9. I did what I wanted to, got myself confident I will have a nice race on Sat.

I am concerned about the swim as I have swam VERY VERY little. I will rectify that over the next 2 weeks.

CROWLER
    President

Comment

Good to hear man, keep it up.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
      US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Thank you for the kind words man.

Well that little 1.5 mile run two days ago REALLY swelled my ankle up. It doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when I run on the beach. Maybe I need to move closer to the ocean lol

Ok today I did a 1/2 mile open water swim. Within the first few mins my tris and shoulders were pumped up(who would think you would NOT want a pump lol)

So the rest of the 1/2 mile was pretty painful and it was like lifting 20lbs dumbells 300 times in one set

Finished it which is good seeing as how in less than 2 weeks I have to do that for just the FIRST part of the race. Water was COLD, I had a wetsuit on so it help ALOT but my feet and hands were still getting numb. I was ok with the workout, can't expect much more with so VERY little swimming practice in the last few years.

Ankle is being iced yet again and I can't even sleep with the comforter covering it as just that little bit of weight causes more pain. Hopes for a good steady race are still high.

Could be because I practiced putting on and taking off my bike shoes while on the bike while at about 20 MPH. I repeated this approx 30 times.

A couple times I really wrenched the ankle a few times. BUT this alone can save you half a minute which in the long run can be the differance of a few places in the race.

CROWLER
        President

Comment

Originally posted by CROWLER
          Could be because I practiced putting on and taking off my bike shoes while on the bike while at about 20 MPH. I repeated this approx 30 times.

A couple times I really wrenched the ankle a few times. BUT this alone can save you half a minute which in the long run can be the differance of a few places in the race.

CROWLER
          Are you doing a trisuit for your race? What about ditching the socks to save some time? I'm all about saving transition time since I'm slower than some of the pack.

Sounds like a good workout, and boy do I feel you on the ankle.. Mine is STILL swollen on me.

AI should put out a triathlete product.. *wink wink*

Think Excel + Joint Support, muwhahaha.

SCT
          Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
            Are you doing a trisuit for your race? What about ditching the socks to save some time? I'm all about saving transition time since I'm slower than some of the pack.

Sounds like a good workout, and boy do I feel you on the ankle.. Mine is STILL swollen on me.

AI should put out a triathlete product.. *wink wink*

Think Excel + Joint Support, muwhahaha.

SCT
            I am 1000% with you on saving time in the transition areas. To me that is FREE speed right? Below are some suggestions you may already know but if not they might help.

As for socks, I do not wear them. What I suggest is to get used to going without them in your training. If you go for a run just stick a pair in your pockets and if you feel rubbing put them on and continue running. This way you work your way up to going without socks.

Few suggestions for this. DEFINITELY practice your T1 and T2s so you are as fast as possible. REMEMBER to breath while in the transition area, nice and deep and slow it down if possible.

Towards the end of the swim start kicking more to get more blood into the legs.

If there are people there to help you out of the water and you feel dizy grab their arm and let them help you lol

If you have bike shoes practice taking them off while you are on the bike. So as you are slowing down for T2 take one off, put your foot on the top of it, then peddal a few times then do shoe #2. Then you get off your bike, leave the shoes on the bike, as you are running with your bike you take off your helmet so all you do in T2 is put on your running shoes. I use shoes which have no laces by Nike. Not sure if they make them anymore. Or you can use those lace locks. You pull the laces tight then push the lace lock down you are set to go. I cut the lace down so there is not alot left over.

OR you can get those stretchy laces that have their own locking device at the end. BUT make sure you tie a TIGHT know in the end of the lace so it does not come out of the lace lock.

Bring a BRIGHT colored swim noodle and duct tape it to the end of your bike rack you will be able to spot it EASY when you come out.
            Bring a shallow bucket(something you might soak your feet in) and put about 2 inches of water in it. Have it by your bike so you can quick step in and step out onto a towel so you get the sand and dirt off your feet.

Try to place your bike as close to the bike EXIT as you can so you don't have to run very far in your bike shoes. I am just now practicing leaving my bike shoes on the peddals and stepping on them to take off on the bike. Then once underway reaching down to put them on. Actually it is going pretty good you may want to practice it. I get up to speed, stopb peddaling, reach down get one shoe on, get back up to speed then do the second shoe.

For your race number Take it and crumple it up a number of times, this will get rid of any sharp creases or corners that could chaff after running with it on for mile after mile. Then use a thin piece of elastic band approx 1/2" (sewing places or Walmart sell this). Use two safety pins to pin your number to the this cord. DO NOT use just the holes on the number. Double the corners over at least once so you are actually putting the pin through a couple times. I have seen number rip and come off.

Put the elastic around you(step into it) then fold your number like an accordian and put if under whatever you are wearing to swim in. So it is like a belt under your swim suit. Then when you finally start the run you just pull it out.

For fun wear a neon orange swim cap UNDER the cap they give you but let some of it show, it makes it nice for the people who came to watch you see where you are in the swim.

DARN I wish we lived closer it would be GREAT to train together.

Oh jeeze I don't even want to say what I am wearing for my race but ok. I will wear a wetsuit because the water is COLD! Plust of course it makes you faster in the swim. Underneath I will have a speedo and just wear that the rest of the race.

I would imagine trying to put a shirt on a wet body while you are huffing and puffing would be a nightmare.

IF these are helpful let me know I have some other ideas I have not seen talked about too much. IF they are not no biggie and I will keep my big mouth shut

CROWLER
            Last edited by CROWLER; 03-06-2007, 09:01 AM.
            President

Comment

This may be a dumb question but I am new, what is the diff between a "tri"suit and something like a 3mil wetsuit for say, scuba diving.
              Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
                This may be a dumb question but I am new, what is the diff between a "tri"suit and something like a 3mil wetsuit for say, scuba diving.
                A trisuit is actually not a wetsuit, it is merely a type of clothing that can be worn for all three of the events. For example, it has the aerodynamic properties that benefit in the water (minus the flotation), has a chamois for the bike ride, and has the wicking material for the run. So essentially you never change anything but your shoes.

Here is a good pic of one:

Back to the basics!

Comment

As for socks, I do not wear them. What I suggest is to get used to going without them in your training. If you go for a run just stick a pair in your pockets and if you feel rubbing put them on and continue running. This way you work your way up to going without socks.
                  My only concern with training sans socks is that I have a bad ankle and I wonder if taking away even more support is a good idea, ya'know?

Towards the end of the swim start kicking more to get more blood into the legs.

If there are people there to help you out of the water and you feel dizy grab their arm and let them help you lol
                  Haha, good idea because I always had a tad dizziness after anything over a 1/4 mile swim.

If you have bike shoes practice taking them off while you are on the bike. So as you are slowing down for T2 take one off, put your foot on the top of it, then peddal a few times then do shoe #2. Then you get off your bike, leave the shoes on the bike, as you are running with your bike you take off your helmet so all you do in T2 is put on your running shoes. I use shoes which have no laces by Nike. Not sure if they make them anymore. Or you can use those lace locks. You pull the laces tight then push the lace lock down you are set to go. I cut the lace down so there is not alot left over.

OR you can get those stretchy laces that have their own locking device at the end. BUT make sure you tie a TIGHT know in the end of the lace so it does not come out of the lace lock.
                  This is one area I am afraid of. My bike does not have clip-in pedals, and for at least my first race I am probably not going to be able to afford them. So I'll be changing into my running shoes in T1 and using them for the bike and the run. I know I will lose power on the bike because of this, but the wife will not be moved. I need to line up a shoe sponsorship.. lolol.

Bring a BRIGHT colored swim noodle and duct tape it to the end of your bike rack you will be able to spot it EASY when you come out.
                  Bring a shallow bucket(something you might soak your feet in) and put about 2 inches of water in it. Have it by your bike so you can quick step in and step out onto a towel so you get the sand and dirt off your feet.
                  Very nice idea! That was one of my fears was the entire 'where is my bike' nightmare!

DARN I wish we lived closer it would be GREAT to train together.
                  Just fly out for a week or so and we'll train! :P

Oh jeeze I don't even want to say what I am wearing for my race but ok. I will wear a wetsuit because the water is COLD! Plust of course it makes you faster in the swim. Underneath I will have a speedo and just wear that the rest of the race.
                  I would do that, but the other participants would run the wrong way in fear then... muwhahaha.

IF these are helpful let me know I have some other ideas I have not seen talked about too much. IF they are not no biggie and I will keep my big mouth shut
                  CROWLER
                  Feel free to keep sharing. Knowledge is power and I'm willing to soak up whatever I can get.

SCT
                  Back to the basics!

Comment

Thanks for all the help, the transitions are the parts I know least about. The first thing my wife said to me when I told her I was going to do a tri was "your not going to wear a speedo, are you?
                    Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, the transitions are the parts I know least about. The first thing my wife said to me when I told her I was going to do a tri was "your not going to wear a speedo, are you?
                      It is all about the Jammers man.

All the benefits of a speedo, minus all the attention on your junk.
                      Back to the basics!

Comment

lol first thing my wife said was you ARE going to wear a speedo aren't you

Not sure if it is the differance is our wives or us lol

SCT I see what you mean about the sock and the ankle. How did you hurt it by rolling it?

As for the bike shoes SERIOUSLY don't give a second thought. Just train in the same shoes as you will ride in. AND think of it this way your T2 will be FASTER

Todays workout:

bike 3 mile warm up VERY happy NO pain. Both my achillies were acting up. I think from running on the beach the other day. Then I did 4 x 4 mile intervals. Went well. I was good and didn't turn them into an all out sprint. 3 mile cool down. I passed(going the other way unfortunately ) a group of 3 triathletes and then another group of 2 triathletes. I am ITCHING for this race. I gotta represent the bodybuilding clan!

Kept to my game plan. then went home and did a 15 min continuous swim. YIKES it was cold even with a wetsuit on.

Day was another strange one. I broke the cleat on my bike shoe, broke my brake cable and suddenly my goggles now leak water. BUT the good news is it is still 10 days from race day so this is the PERFECT time for it to happen.

I probabaly have enough time to replace all 3 before the race.

CROWLER
                        President

Comment

SCT I see what you mean about the sock and the ankle. How did you hurt it by rolling it?
                          I think it is actually from doing some fin training in my swimming. Since it essentially forces me to adapt a different ankle angle it has been putting some extra stress on it.

SCT
                          Back to the basics!

Comment

That makes sense.

Well after my practice swim the other day I realize I am in a BIT of trouble and need to double my efforts. I REALLY do not want my tris and shoulders to give out half way through the race and end up doggie swimming back to shore

To this end I did a swim workout in the AM and then again tonight when I got home. No bike workout today. I feel pretty good about the bike part but the swim is in some doubt. BUT fear not my fellow iron pumpers I am on the case and shall NOT let you down. I pledge to represent us iron heads well agains the skinny tri guys lol

CROWLER
                            President

Comment

Ok did 4 workouts today.

Swim Workout: Mostly concentrating on form. Trying to 'catch' as much water as possible, which definitely helps you swim faster BUT it puts alot more pressure on the shoulders and tris. So I was not able to do many strokes before having to take a rest but I am building up to longer and longer times.

Weight workout:
                              Chest
                              Back
                              Bis

I didn't do tris and shoulders as I normally would because I am trying to keep them relatively fresh for my swim workouts.

Bike Workout:

After the first 3 miles my achilles tendon on my right leg started giving me some pain. I probably should have stopped but I kept going another 27miles for a total of 30 miles.
                              I took it pretty easy.

I was not pushing it but wanted to get some miles into get myself accustomed to longer workouts.My avg speed the first 9 miles was 16.9 MPH Next 9 was 18.2 MPH Next 9 miles I avg 18.5 MPH Last 3 miles as always is a VERY easy cool down. I feel it helps me recover much quicker for the next day.

Those are not very fast but I was not pushing hard. I hope to avg 20 MPH for the race which is 12 miles, so doing 18 MPG for the last 18 miles has me feeling good.

2nd Swim Workout of the day: Did a continuous swim of approx 15 or more mins. I didn't push real hard as I already have put alot of work in on my shoulders and tris for the day.

So overall for the day I met all my workout goals so it was a really good over all day.

That is it. Tomorrow is another day
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X