Pain in wrists :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in wrists :(

I been getting alot of pain in my wrists while doing presses excercises. This has severly raped my bench press, making my attempts in the gym very depressing(usually maxing out at a pathetic 135lbs). I'm taking animal Flex for my joints, but it doesnt seem to be helping. Anyone know what may be causing this?
    I do have arthritis in my hips (which is very uncommon, and shitty, for a 19 year old), and I'm thinking maybe i have arthritis in the wrists too. How could I lessen or get rid of this wrist pain?

I used to get a shooting pain in my wrists when doing presses. I took some time off and it seemed to help. Have you tried to wrap your wrists at all? Maybe they just need some extra support.
    A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

A. Youve had an MRI/Xray of your hips? Or is that a slef diagonise?
      B. If you did have an MRI/Xray did the doctor or any other blood work?

I would also check your wrist postion when your pressing I see alot of people bend the wrist backwards

Comment

I had pain in the hand and wrist when benching due to tendonitis. However, changing my grip on the bar worked wonders. They say don't do it, but I don't wrap my thumb around the bar. It sits to the side and made the stress on my wrist and hand go away.
        Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
          I used to get a shooting pain in my wrists when doing presses. I took some time off and it seemed to help. Have you tried to wrap your wrists at all? Maybe they just need some extra support.
          I got some shitty lil wraps i use, dont help rilly. Did you take time off of weightlifting all together or just time off pressing excercises?

Comment

I actually took a lot of time off from lifting, it was 5months or something close to that. Life got in the way
            A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
              I had pain in the hand and wrist when benching due to tendonitis. However, changing my grip on the bar worked wonders. They say don't do it, but I don't wrap my thumb around the bar. It sits to the side and made the stress on my wrist and hand go away.
              Yeah takin my thumb off from around the bar helps some, but when I go heavy I'm a lil too scared to do so

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
                A. Youve had an MRI/Xray of your hips? Or is that a slef diagonise?
                B. If you did have an MRI/Xray did the doctor or any other blood work?

I would also check your wrist postion when your pressing I see alot of people bend the wrist backwards
                had an xray and my doctor said it looks like i've got some arthritis developing in my hip

Comment

time for 20 questions

Originally posted by adrian andras
                  had an xray and my doctor said it looks like i've got some arthritis developing in my hip
                  the hip bone is connected to the . . . wrist bone? sorry I could not pass that one up

Anyway, can you describe the pain a bit more, does it radiate to the hand and if so what part of the hand? Any numbness or pins and needles feelings in wrist or hand? Do you have this pain when you wake up? Any decrease in grip strength? any history of arthritis in your family (osteo or rheumatoid) aside from you? Anything else aside from bench aggravate your wrist? How long ago did this start? Is it getting better or worse? Have you tried ice or NSAIDs?
                  Last edited by Dr.Dave1; 02-28-2007, 06:45 PM.
                  Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Yeah takin my thumb off from around the bar helps some, but when I go heavy I'm a lil too scared to do so
                    Don't be, that was my initial thought too when I changed to this other grip. Not sure to how heavy you go, but I can hit 225 like that no prob, and did 275 negatives yesterday with no problem or fear of weights slipping. Gotta make sure your bar has actually grip on it, and not these olympic chrome ones that are slippery as shit. Just do it light, and work form on the way to upping the weights.
                    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
                    Purple Wraath
                    Green Magnitude
                    Orange Triad
                    White Flood
                    Blue Up
                    100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

When I read the original post I immediately thougt that it was the type of grip that was causing this since I had severe wrist pains in the past due to poor hand placement during bench presses ... make sure you're not bending the hand back and that the bar is placed in the palm and not higher up on the fingers ... this is what causes that pressure on the upper part of the hand and will cause the strain on your wrist to compensate

i would also recommend wrist wraps ... i've been using the wraps from APT for a while now and I haven't experienced any further wrist pain ... here's a link to what I use: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/14651

good luck!!
                      Last edited by strester; 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM.
                      jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                        Anyway, can you describe the pain a bit more, does it radiate to the hand and if so what part of the hand? Any numbness or pins and needles feelings in wrist or hand? Do you have this pain when you wake up? Any decrease in grip strength? any history of arthritis in your family (osteo or rheumatoid) aside from you? Anything else aside from bench aggravate your wrist? How long ago did this start? Is it getting better or worse? Have you tried ice or NSAIDs?

Sometimes (not very often) I get some pain going up through my thumb.
                        It's not a very sharp pain, it's usually only there when I'm pressing alot of weight.
                        No pain upon waking.
                        Yes, decreased grip.
                        History...um, My grandfather I believe.
                        Any pressing excercise(bench press, shoulder press, etc.).
                        Started several monthes ago.
                        It hasn't gotten any worse/better.
                        Haven't tried ice, wtf is NSAIDs?

I'm thinking about just trying to take some time off, but how much time should I take off?
                        Last edited by adrian andras; 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

It's not a very sharp pain, it's usually only there when I'm pressing alot of weight.
                          No pain upon waking.
                          Yes, decreased grip.

I'm thinking about just trying to take some time off, but how much time should I take off?
                          Time off is entirely up to you considering if you return and the pain is still there. However, I'd still guess it's an issue with where the weight's force is in relation to the bones in your wrist/hand that is causing this.

Current Supps:
                          Purple Wraath
                          Green Magnitude
                          Orange Triad
                          White Flood
                          Blue Up
                          100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

No pain upon waking.
                            Yes, decreased grip.

LOL NSAIDs are thing like ibuprofen and motrin . . . sorry somtimes I use medical jargon accidentally
                            It's hard to say without being able to examen the hand but . . .
                            pain shooting up to th thumb could be carpal tunnel syndrome (treatment is rest, NSAIDs, ice and a splint . . . surgery if severe)
                            More likely it could be a tendonitis @ the wrist . . . symptoms are on target with this. (treatment is rest, ice, NSAIDs) wrist wraps can help prevent this
                            Less likely is a fracture to a bone in your wrist . . . also has similar symptoms and can pretty easily be ruled out with a quick wrist exam

Bottom line is that it's probably best to go to a doc to get it checked out just to make sure its nothing bad like a fracture . . .
                            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Fishoil... natural (mild) anti-inflammatory

Comment

Working...
                              X