SCT's Triathlon Training, Sponsored by Controlled Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCT's Triathlon Training, Sponsored by Controlled Labs

This log will run from today until the end of the triathlon season, or whenever Tank sees fit to cut off my supply of Red Acid Gen 2.. hopefully never.

About Me:

I'm a 24 year old male who is on a journey. A journey to finish my transformation that began back in September 2005, and a journey to be a competitive triatlete. While that may seem a lofty goal, it is one that I will acheieve, because I have nothing to lose but more weight.

About The Product:

Red Acid GEN 2? is the most advanced fat incineration matrix available today... so effective you can actually feel it working !! This unique formula is designed to enhance your metabolism, control your appetite and cravings, and keep you focused and energized all day long.

Even with proper diet and cardio, many individuals will eventually experience problems losing fat at an "optimal" rate. Now we have the answer: Red Acid GEN 2?. Unlike other fat loss products, Red Acid GEN 2? helps you to achieve fat loss via several different pathways to overcome your metabolism for optimal fatloss results.

Red Acid GEN 2? includes a special cacao extract, that serves as a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPAR-alpha) agonist and can help to modulate ghrelin levels, producing a hunger satisfaction and stimulating glycerol and fatty acid release from adipocytes throughout the body. To enhance this effect, we included herbal appetite suppressants that work via the brains central nervous system rather than the digestive tract to deliver a one-two punch to "knock out" hunger and cravings.

With cravings and appetite under complete control, we took Red Acid GEN 2? to the next level with powerful naturally occuring energizers, nootropics, and thermogenics like isobutyryl-thiamine disulfide, theobromine, hordenine, evodiamine, and vinpocetine. Forskolin stimulates cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and a synergistic blend of cayenne extract and raspberry ketones releases norepinephrine, which in turn increases lipolysis and results in the reduction of fat storage. The potent cayenne extract aids in delivery and absorption. Working together, these powerful compounds work to increase your metabolism, activity level, and focus all day long making Red Acid GEN 2? one of the most powerful and effective fatloss products on the market.

Let's face it, fatloss shouldn't be torture... with the Red Acid GEN 2? formula, instead of constant hunger, low energy, and carb cravings, you can focus on cardio, the gym, and the other important things in your life !

REFERENCES
    1. Dorfman LJ, Jarvik ME. Comparative stimulant and diuretic actions of caffeine and theobromine in man. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1970 Nov-Dec;11(6):869-72.

2. Hapke HJ, Strathmann W. Pharmacological effects of hordenine. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 1995 Jun;102(6):228-32

3. Morimoto C, Satoh Y, Hara M, Inoue S, Tsujita T, Okuda H. Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sci. 2005 May 27;77(2):194-204. Epub 2005 Feb 25.

4. Van Reeth O. Pharmacologic and therapeutic features of sulbutiamine. Drugs Today (Barc). 1999 Mar;35(3):187-92.

5. Micheau J, Durkin TP, Destrade C, Rolland Y, Jaffard R. Chronic administration of sulbutiamine improves long term memory formation in mice: possible cholinergic mediation. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1985 Aug;23(2):195-8.

6. Rampler H, Weinhofer I, Netik A, Forss-Petter S, Brown PJ, Oplinger JA, Bugaut M, Berger J. Evaluation of the therapeutic potential of PPARalpha agonists for X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy. Mol Genet Metab. 2003 Dec;80(4):398-407.
    Back to the basics!

Previous Related Training Logs Can Be Found At:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1470891

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When today started I could feel a buzz in the air. I felt in my bones that it would be a good day. I decided upon waking that I was going to head to the gym early enough to eat some oatmeal (they make the best oatmeal) and then chill out until it was time to work out. The oatmeal was not only delicious, but it turned out that it was FREE! Theresa insisted on it being on the house since she had accidentally added walnuts, which are the one kind of nut I despise. I tried to gently reject the offer of free oatmeal, but I was vetoed by the Cafe staff.

After my meal I hung out for a while and talked to a few regulars, all who asked about my indoor tri experience. Finally, about 45 minutes later, I felt that I had digested enough to head for the sauna. Normally in the sauna I just sit with my mp3 player and rock out for 5 minutes, just to get myself 'warm' before my warmup. However, today was also the start of my training being MP3 player FREE.. meaning that since my races are music free, so will be my training.

The 5 minutes in the sauna provided me a chance to really think over the plan I have been working on. I've posted the link a few times, so I won't bother to look it up now, especially after the modifications that have been made make it very unlike the original 'cookie cutter' plan.

After leaving the sauna I headed for the weights area. Today was the restart of my weight training routine, I'm taking it nice and easy on weights to ensure my shoulder holds up this time.

Weights:
    Bench Press, 4 sets of 15
    Incline Bench Press, 4 sets of 15
    Seated Row, 4 sets of 15
    Shoulder Press, 4 sets of 15
    Seated Bicep Curls, 4 sets of 15
    Overhead Tricep Extensions, 4 sets of 15

As you can see the weight routine is all high rep work, which means the weights are superlow. I will share increases in weights used from week to week. During my weight training I talked a bit with TC about my August Sprint Tri and he informed me that due to MY motivation, he went and registered for a July Olympic distance triathlon, that crazy man.

After weights I had to attend a meeting with Kathy to discuss my and her thoughts on the swim portion of my triathlon training. We were both of the mindset that I should not drop volume just to follow the program. Because of this I will be keeping distance high, and using a variety of drills and distancework to ensure that I am prepared for the race.

After the meeting I was stoked beyond all belief, and headed for the bike for today's ride.

Bike: 4 miles, 12 minutes and 2 seconds

The pace on the bike was JUST under 20mph, which made me cheese from ear to ear since it was done without music. Talk about being a different type of animal, training without music is just plain harder for me.

After the bike I started to walk a mile cooldown when I noticed a younger guy (maybe 19) playing basketball on the courts. He had just asked an older gentleman if he wanted to play one on one, to which the older guy had said no. The young buck, as he shall now be referred to, was kind of cocky and arrogant about it, telling the old guy he would have lost anyways. That was just about all I needed..

Walking onto the court I asked the kid if he wanted to play a game of one-on-one.. after smirking at me he said he would love to. I shot for ball, made it. We were going to 21 by 1s and 2s.. I ended up 11-0 after the first few minutes, I think he expected me to be slow for some reason. He was huffing and puffing, hands on his knees.. I was just cruising along.

I think at that point he mentally decided he needed to find an edge on me, and on my next layup he decided to elbow me hard.. in the nuts.. Yes.. I was seeing red. My first reaction was to strangle the twit, but instead I walked it off and came back to claim the ball. He said, 'That wasn't a foul.' It was then I knew he was going to play dirty for the rest of the game.

I did my best to play defense while avoiding the elbows and trip attempts when I was shooting, but after I had managed to get up 18-6 the play became even MORE rough.

He attempted a layup, I blocked it. Instead of taking a step back and regathering himself he just jumped up again. I leaped, with my hands up, prepared to block him again. However, the ball did not head for the goal, but instead my nose. I took the 'shot' right in the nose. Luckily I have a tough nose and titanium frames for my glasses.

At that point I just literally stood there and let him score the 15 points he needed to do to win. I didn't attempt a shot, didn't attempt a rebound.. didn't attempt anything. I just wanted to be done with this moron.. he won and he was happy.. I was sad for him.

After the game I finished my cooldown walk and headed to the cafe for a wonderful chicken breast with 99% fat free ham sandwich with swiss cheese and fat free ranch on homemade honey-almond bread with mixxed fruit.

You would think that I would have been aggravated by the basketball game, but inside I felt on top of the world. I have came so far in my journey that I managed to outrun, outplay, and outclass someone 50lbs less than me and 5 years younger. It feels good to realize that..

I ended up taking unplanned time off from work today, because I am getting behind on laundry and some other things that NEED to be done. We get a lot of vacation at work though, so it is ok. I tend to frontload a bunch and then work a long of the year without vacation, but so be it.

I stopped at Spoke and Sport on the way home and talked shop with the bike guys for a good 30 minutes, and sent them on the hunt for a GOOD trisuit for my August triathlon for under $100, in a size XXL. They seemed to love the challenge.

After the stop at S&S I headed home, to find that I received TWO packages.. yes TWO.

The first was my package from Amazon.com with my recently ordered books of: 'Total Immersion' and 'The Triathletes Training Bible'.. talk about exciting. I now have TWO of the premiere books used by triathletes worldwide.

The second package was from a former boss of mine, Tank, who owns Controlled Labs, a bodybuilding supplement company I used to be a rep for. He sent me a goodie package to help along the way with my triathlon adventures!

To top it ALL off, the wife and I are going to look at bikes tonight.. I might be able to talk her into letting me buy one.. oh yeah baby.. what a freaking day.

Josh
    Back to the basics!

Comment

lol, good luck man. Just don't get a bike with tassels or John Lee with take it from you.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
      US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
        lol, good luck man. Just don't get a bike with tassels or John Lee with take it from you.

Picked up a basic road bike for now, and after a few tris I'll upgrade to a nice bike. But for now, here it is:

Back to the basics!

Comment

February 21, Sprint Training Day 3

Supplements Taken:
          Red Acid Gen 2, 20 minutes prebreakfast

Supplement Effects:
          Smooth energy that lasted a while. Not as much 'kick' as I remember, but that could be because I am a caffeine addict. I did notice the hunger benefits though immensly. Having been off supplements for a while the hunger factor was just HUGE for me. I don't know if I'll want to eat for the rest of the day, haha.

Training:
          Today I had to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn to take the wife to work, since we are doing a car juggling act today to make sure everyone gets to go to work. My original plan was to do laundry and then head to the gym, but instead.. I just went to the gym! I wanted to see the morning crowd that I normally miss, so at 7am I walked in the gym doors.. groggy-eyed and sluggish.

After a nice breakfast at Simon's Cafe (I spend too much $$ there) I headed to the pool and read some of the Total Immersion book for about 40 minutes before changing out into my swim gear. Swimming in the morning is way different than the afternoon, because the pool windows face the east.. so as the sun rises it makes lots of cool reflections on the pool floor, anyways.. I digress.

I did the following in the pool:

400 warmup
          50x2 catchup drills
          50x6 freestyle w/ fins
          50x2 6 kick rolls
          50x6 stroke count drills
          100 cooldown

Total - 1300 yards

After the swim I changed into my running gear and headed for the gym. Today was scheduled for a total of 3 miles of walk/run with the majority being walked, so I did the following.

5 laps brisk walk, 2 laps run

I repeated this for a total of 3 miles, and as time progresses the walks will get shorter while the runs get longer. I estimate about 12-13 weeks before I can run a 5k nonstop.

After the gym I headed home and am now going to relax a bit before work.
          I might try riding my new bike..

Josh
          Back to the basics!

Comment

Nah, with the routine you have now, the 3 miles won't be much. However, no music would kill me personally, so you are truly a stronger individual than I. Oh, and I like the bike. Didn't know GMC made those too...

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
            Purple Wraath
            Green Magnitude
            Orange Triad
            White Flood
            Blue Up
            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Nah, with the routine you have now, the 3 miles won't be much. However, no music would kill me personally, so you are truly a stronger individual than I. Oh, and I like the bike. Didn't know GMC made those too...

Actually, after some careful research and negotiating with the LBS (local bike shop) I returned the walmart special and got myself a REAL bike.. oh yes baby.. a real road bike.

Yeah, I know the 3 miles will probably be pretty cake, but the lack of an mp3 plkayer is so huge it is hard to imagine.

SCT
              Back to the basics!

Comment

February 22, Sprint Training Day 4
                Well, I got my workout in today. However, before I left the gym I managed to get sick all over the place. There must be a stomach bug in the area or something because when I went to the doctor she didn't seem suprised nor concerned that I had blew chunks all over the locker room.

Supplement Facts:
                2 Red Acid Gen 2
                1 Multivitamin
                1 Vitamin C

Energy:
                4/10 - could be due to being sick.

Notes:
                Huge energy dropoff, which is why I rated today a 4. I think the virus/whatever just decided to kick in right as soon as my workout was over because the workout felt strong.. then it all just went to hell.

Anywho, workout from today:

1.5 mile warmup walk @ 4.0mph
                5 mile bike, 14 minutes 47 seconds
                1 mile cooldown walk @3.5mph
                Core work on swiss ball

I'm off to be miserable and hope that this is only a 24 hour bug..

Josh
                Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                  As you can see the weight routine is all high rep work, which means the weights are superlow. I will share increases in weights used from week to week. During my weight training I talked a bit with TC about my August Sprint Tri and he informed me that due to MY motivation, he went and registered for a July Olympic distance triathlon, that crazy man.
                  Why are you just sticking to higher reps ?

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
                    The purpose is two-fold:

Working slow-twitch muscle fibers and slowly recovering my repeatedly injured shoulder.
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

Supplements:
                      2 Red Acid Gen 2 preworkout

Energy:
                      10/10 - Felt very strong today even though it was a short workout.. if I didn't have to work I'd be back at the gym knocking some miles down on the treadmill.

----------------------------------------

Today was an eventful day to say the least! I had a shortened workout due to having a few very special events occur today.

The first was having my interview with Jaine Andrews for the Kelo-Land Healthbeat, that will be ON THE AIR tonight at 6pm CST. I'm hoping to grab the webcast of this so I can post it to the page.

The interview 'started' at around 11:45 and encompassed a q/a session as well as them filming me doing some treadmill running.

The downfall of this was that there was another treadmill runner in the shot and he was running at 6.0mph, so I had to crank it up faster to not be outdone on my own tv segment. I figured they would take a couple minutes of footage and be done, but after what seemed an eternity they said.. ok we got it all. I had went through FOUR songs on the mp3 player... hehe.

I got in a quick 10 laps in the pool, then changed out and headed to lunch with Joi and Kevin, a couple of myspacers also from here in South Dakota. We had a nice lunch and conversation, it was nice to meet some other fitness enthusiasts from around here.

Now I'm writing this on the fly so I can get ready for work.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing the workout that was originally scheduled for today.

Josh
                      Back to the basics!

Comment

Muscular endurance > power for triathalon athletes.

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Just wait until I kick in my fatigue based training. This is reversing the typical weights then cardio routine and doing full swim training followed by upper body or full run/bike training followed by a leg routine.

Insane? Why thank you.

SCT
                          Back to the basics!

Comment

Higher reps isnt a good way to gain muscular endurance

Comment

Higher reps isnt a good way to gain muscular endurance

In this article you will learn that the higher the reps, the more slow twitch fibers you work and the lower the amount of reps, the more fast twitch fibers you work and much more...

Slow & Fast Twitch Muscle Fibers.

By: Shane Giese

It is generally accepted throughout the world that there are two different types of muscle fibers. Slow twitch (Type I) muscle and fast twitch (Type II) muscle fiber. From there, you can further categorize fast twitch muscle fiber into Type IIa and Type IIb.

Type I Muscle Fibers

Type I muscle fibers have the slowest-contractile speed, the smallest cross-sectional area, the highest oxidative (aerobic) capacity, and the lowest glycolytic (anaerobic) capacity. They contract slowly and are able to hold a steady paced twitch for long durations without fatigue. Type I muscle fibers are predominately used in endurance activities. Long distance runners, swimmers, and cyclists mostly use Type I fibers.

Type II Muscle Fibers

Type IIb muscle fibers have the fastest-contractile speed, the largest cross-sectional area, the lowest oxidative capacity, and the highest glycolytic capacity. They are ideally suited for short fast bursts of power. These muscle fibers are used in such activities as sprinting, powerlifting, and bodybuilding. Type IIa muscle fibers are intermediate and their properties lie between type I and type IIb.

How Type I & Type II Muscle Fibers Are Different

Type I fibers are different than type IIb fibers for many reasons. You can think of them as opposites. Type I is for long endurance activities while type IIb is for short fast bursts. Type I fibers are highly oxidative and are not likely to hypertrophy as much. Type IIb fibers are highly gycolytic and tend to hypertrophy more than type I fibers. Type I fibers are also known as red fibers due to their abundant supply of blood. Type IIb fibers have little blood causing them to be white in appearance.

How Your Body Recruits Muscle Fibers

Even the small muscle groups in your body have over 100,000 muscle fibers. A motor neuron is what stimulates our muscles to contract. It carries impulses (messages) from our brain and spinal cord to our muscles. One motor neuron controls anywhere from 2-2,000 muscle fibers. A single motor neuron and the fibers it stimulates are called a motor unit. Each motor unit mainly contains muscles of its kind. Also, the motor unit fires with a frequency that is conducive to the fibers it stimulates. Simply put, a slow twitch motor neuron will cause the muscles in it to contract slowly while a fast twitch unit will fire quickly.

The quicker it fires the more power it produces. If the activity is light, it will mainly stimulate type I muscle fibers. When it becomes too intense it will call upon type IIa muscle fibers. And finally, for the highest intensity movements, it will recruit the type IIb fibers. This is why type I fibers are called low threshold, and fast type IIb fibers are called high threshold. Low threshold because they are the first muscle fibers to be recruited and high threshold because they are only recruited under the most intense circumstances. Your body always activates its muscle fibers in this fashion.

An Example Of How Your Muscle Fibers Are Recruited

Say you were to help someone lift a heavy couch up a flight of ten stairs. You would use your hands as grips and let your legs do all the work. On the first step your legs will start to recruit type IIa fibers. By the 2nd or 3rd step your nervous system does not recruit more motor units. This being the case the first set of fibers rest and more type IIa fibers are recruited. Along with these, a number of type IIb fibers are called into play (to maintain fluent motion up the stairs).

As your journey continues more type IIa and type IIb fibers are recruited until by the last step they have all come into play. Your muscle fibers weren't twitching at maximum speed until the end of the stairs when they neared failure. The faster a muscle fiber twitches the greater the force is. At the beginning, the fibers weren't forced to twitch at maximum frequency to overcome the weight, but at the end they had to produce as much force as possible to overcome the weight. This is how recruitment is designed to maintain a certain amount of force.

Recruitment In Low Rep Sets

Low repetition work (in the 1-5 rep range) provides an extremely unique adaptation. To overcome the weight, your body must recruit as many motor units as humanly possible. This will cause your nervous system to become more efficient at this process. Over time, you will learn to lift the heavier weight with all (or close to as possible) of your motor units in one rep. Powerlifters are brutally strong for this reason. They can basically make all the their motor units fire at once.

Strength Gains Without Muscular Hypertrophy?

Strength gains in the 1-5 rep range can take place without muscular hypertrophy. This doesn't mean that growth cannot occur at these junctions. It just means that growth is not the optimal method of adaptation in this zone. This is for two reasons. First, although more motor units are recruited at once, low repetition sets cannot recruit as many muscle fibers as in a higher repetition set.

This is due to signaling problems occurring in the nervous system. These problems occur because the nervous system is asked to act extremely fast and furious and is taxed to its limit. Second, contractile proteins in a cell are responsible for muscular growth. These must be exposed to enough stress (which they aren't in low repetition sets) or they will not be damaged enough to overcompensate and increase in size.

How Does A Certain Rep Range Affect Your Muscle Fibers & Strength Gains?

Overview Growth In Muscle Fibers Below
                              Repetition Range Type I Type IIA Type IIA Strength Gains
                              1-2 repetitions Very Low Low Low Excellent
                              3-5 repetitions Very Low Low Decent to Good Excellent
                              6-8 repetitions Very Low Good Excellent Good
                              9-12 repetitions Low Excellent Very Good Good Within Rep R.
                              13-15 repetitions Decent Very Good Decent to Good Endurance
                              16-25 repetitions Very Good Diminishing Low Endurance
                              25-50 repetitions Excellent Low Very Low Endurance

SCT
                              Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
                              X