Beleif in exercise makes it more effective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beleif in exercise makes it more effective

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who think they're getting a good workout obtain more benefits than those who perform the exact same activities, but don't think what they are doing is exercise, according to the findings of a study by Harvard researchers. These results support the idea that the benefits of exercise may involve a placebo effect.

Hotel cleaners who were told that their work of cleaning roughly 15 rooms each day was enough physical activity to maintain a healthy lifestyle were more trim and fit four weeks later than their peers who weren't given this message, Dr. Ellen Langer and her student Alia J. Crum report in the February issue of Psychological Science.

While the placebo effect of fake pills is widely accepted, Crum and Langer note, no one has yet studied whether the belief that exercise is maintaining fitness might exert a kind of placebo effect as well.

To investigate, the researchers recruited at 84 female housekeepers working at seven different hotels. Workers in four of the hotels were told that the exercise they got on the job met or exceeded the Surgeon General's activity recommendations for a healthy lifestyle, while those in the three other hotels were not told anything. Several measures of participants' fitness and health were taken at the beginning of the study and four weeks later.

Before the study started, about two thirds of all participants said they didn't exercise regularly, while one third said they didn't exercise at all. After four weeks, 79.7 percent of the women in the informed group said they exercised regularly. They also lost two pounds, on average; lowered their blood pressure by 10 percent; and showed reductions in percentage of body fat, body mass index, and the size of their waists in relation to their hips.

All of these changes were significantly greater than those seen in the group who weren't told that their work was good exercise.

One possible explanation could have been that women in the informed group became more active and ate more healthily, the researchers note, but they found that this was not the case, making it unlikely that the fitness improvements were due to changes in behavior.

"These results support the hypothesis that exercise affects health in part or in whole via the placebo effect," Crum and Langer write. "Whether the change in physiological health was brought about directly or indirectly, it is clear that health is significantly affected by mind-set."

SOURCE: Psychological Science, February 2007.

yeah, i saw this this morning, its pretty interesting.
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

The power of suggestion is pretty powerful.

Comment

sport & exercise psychology; it's science.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
          NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who think they're getting a good workout obtain more benefits than those who perform the exact same activities, but don't think what they are doing is exercise, according to the findings of a study by Harvard researchers. These results support the idea that the benefits of exercise may involve a placebo effect.

Hotel cleaners who were told that their work of cleaning roughly 15 rooms each day was enough physical activity to maintain a healthy lifestyle were more trim and fit four weeks later than their peers who weren't given this message, Dr. Ellen Langer and her student Alia J. Crum report in the February issue of Psychological Science.

While the placebo effect of fake pills is widely accepted, Crum and Langer note, no one has yet studied whether the belief that exercise is maintaining fitness might exert a kind of placebo effect as well.

To investigate, the researchers recruited at 84 female housekeepers working at seven different hotels. Workers in four of the hotels were told that the exercise they got on the job met or exceeded the Surgeon General's activity recommendations for a healthy lifestyle, while those in the three other hotels were not told anything. Several measures of participants' fitness and health were taken at the beginning of the study and four weeks later.

Before the study started, about two thirds of all participants said they didn't exercise regularly, while one third said they didn't exercise at all. After four weeks, 79.7 percent of the women in the informed group said they exercised regularly. They also lost two pounds, on average; lowered their blood pressure by 10 percent; and showed reductions in percentage of body fat, body mass index, and the size of their waists in relation to their hips.

All of these changes were significantly greater than those seen in the group who weren't told that their work was good exercise.

One possible explanation could have been that women in the informed group became more active and ate more healthily, the researchers note, but they found that this was not the case, making it unlikely that the fitness improvements were due to changes in behavior.

"These results support the hypothesis that exercise affects health in part or in whole via the placebo effect," Crum and Langer write. "Whether the change in physiological health was brought about directly or indirectly, it is clear that health is significantly affected by mind-set."

SOURCE: Psychological Science, February 2007.
          Mind over matter in every sense of the phrase.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

The reason is that they actually put more effort into their activity since they think it is giving a greater benefit then just dusting some shelves.

It was like when I was putting in my pond, it was back breaking work and a lot of manual laber. But when I took it as a chance to do some GPP not only did I enjoy it but also put more effort into it and actually got some benefit out if it besides a sore back. I would even take the wheel barrow full of dirt and rock and push/ pull it around the yard in different manners.

Comment

see.. i knew that thinking you are a BAMF is gonna help
              www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                see.. i knew that thinking you are a BAMF is gonna help

Comment

That whole scene is one of my favorites of all time in a movie.

"Yolanda, I thought you were gonna be cool. When you yell at me, it makes me nervous. When I get nervous, I get scared. And when motherfuckers get scared, that's when motherfuckers get accidentally shot."

Lol what a great movie!
                  A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                    That whole scene is one of my favorites of all time in a movie.

"Yolanda, I thought you were gonna be cool. When you yell at me, it makes me nervous. When I get nervous, I get scared. And when motherfuckers get scared, that's when motherfuckers get accidentally shot."

Lol what a great movie!
                    No no. "I want you to reach into that back and grab my wallet." "How will I know which one it is?" "Because it'll say Bad Mother Fucker on it."

Or, the royal with cheese scene, with Phil Lemarr in the backseat. Priceless.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
                    Purple Wraath
                    Green Magnitude
                    Orange Triad
                    White Flood
                    Blue Up
                    100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Lol its the same scene!

The whole scene where they're in the diner is amazing. One of my favorite movie secnes of all time
                      A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                        Lol its the same scene!

The whole scene where they're in the diner is amazing. One of my favorite movie secnes of all time
                        I know its the same. That's why it's so great. But seriously, **** ****** storage with Quinten, hilarious!

I could literally watch that movie over and over and laugh at all the same parts every time.

http://www.gotwavs.com/php/sounds/?i...t&file=dns.wav

http://www.gotwavs.com/php/sounds/?i...file=bitch.wav
                        Last edited by Mr. Aries; 02-20-2007, 11:09 PM.

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Working...