Training without Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training without Supplements

So I went to lift the other day. I was a little pressed for time, it was Saturday morning - my choices were a) eat a small meal and lift, or b) take supps and lift. I decided to workout with just my natural determination and oats pre-workout. Boy, the difference was evident.

You don't realize what supplements do for you until you train without them! I haven't missed my GM+PW cocktail before a workout for months now. But Saturday morning I did. Lost endurance and energy, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong, I finished my workout and did what I needed. But I felt like I could've done alot more, and put more effort into it like I usually do. I realized what was missing!

I think alot of us are just in the habit of taking supplements, not so much feeling their effects but knowing subconciously that it does work. You don't know what you have until it's gone... !!!

using no supps is relaxing. i used alot for a year or two, now im just on a multi and protein, sometimes i swig fish oil down when i remember in the mornings before class..

im about to start creatine monohydrate research with a prof, get a months worth of powder at 3g a day for free.

Comment

RR, you are sooooo right. 2 months ago, I fell behind on my supp ordering. I ended up having to do 2 workouts with NOTHIN. Its funny now that I think about it. After each sorry ass bench set I laid there for a few minutes feelin like I just lifted a truck, and that was my warm-up!!! lmao Besides the fatigue, the focus was in the gutter. I would think about everything except my workouts. I wouldnt even look in the mirror!!!
      I wouldn't go so far as to say its a mindtrick. Cause if you gave me placibos of my stack, I would definately know. But it's true that just knowing that you got that extra suppliment support, its a world of a difference. TRUST ME, I keep a close eye on my supp. count now!!
      Faith is the substance of things hoped for......HEBREWS

Comment

Originally posted by Tommygnz
        RR, you are sooooo right. 2 months ago, I fell behind on my supp ordering. I ended up having to do 2 workouts with NOTHIN. Its funny now that I think about it. After each sorry ass bench set I laid there for a few minutes feelin like I just lifted a truck, and that was my warm-up!!! lmao Besides the fatigue, the focus was in the gutter. I would think about everything except my workouts. I wouldnt even look in the mirror!!!
        I wouldn't go so far as to say its a mindtrick. Cause if you gave me placibos of my stack, I would definately know. But it's true that just knowing that you got that extra suppliment support, its a world of a difference. TRUST ME, I keep a close eye on my supp. count now!!
        How true how true. Mind over matter makes all the difference but the supps are like a pal telling you lift another rep, hit another set, or 5 more minutes on the tread. People say supps are over rated and such, and maybe they are, but I'd rather error on the side of taking them and THINKING something is happening than not and not knowing what COULD be.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

I think alot of people rely on supplements waaaay too much..

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
            I think alot of people rely on supplements waaaay too much..
            If there work they work. Yeah, maybe my bench would've gone up 40lbs if I just felt like doing it. But maybe because I took the BU, it gave alittle added kick in the ass I needed. Unless I had a blood test, urinalysis, testosterone test and whatever else, I'd never know for a fact the supps make a different, but they affected my mindset in a positive way and if that's what I'm paying for, I'll take it regardless.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
            Purple Wraath
            Green Magnitude
            Orange Triad
            White Flood
            Blue Up
            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

i went without supps for about a month and I didn't lose much, but my intensity did start to suffer towards the end.. I think it all depends on where you are in terms of training experience..
              www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

I remember when I used to train in my HS days, the only supplements I took were protein shakes post workout.

Now though, I'm more serious about training. I'm training hard, 3 or 4 times a week, not inconsistent like I used to. It's tough sometimes to hit the weights, and I do find that the controlled labs stack I'm using gives me a little extra push in the right direction.

My training partner is pushing 50, and regarding supplements he says "Its not easy getting old". I guess sometimes its just hard to get the intensity needed to move the weight like you need to.

Comment

the intensity goes down
                  at least that what i am feeling right now, not taking gm, pw, wb any coz im out of town!!!!

Comment

supps work n all, but its not what its all about...

they supplement what you have

theres no magic pill or miracle drink ..

Comment

What about Eye of Newt?

Comment

they supplement what you have

Not saying there is. I think the general concensus (sp?) is that you know something is lacking when you don't use them. To be able to have abit of an edge, a slight boost, something allowing 1 more rep, is great. Anyone can train with ot without them, but if they can help, why go without?

I'd rather be with them,

than to be without.

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

My biggest concern on this issue is "psychological" dependence. What if you were weaker because your MINDSET and subconscious thoughts were telling your body "your weak today because you did not take your supps"....NEVER underestimate the power of the mind and subconcious thought. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my supps. and experience awesome gains when taking them. I just personally feel that dependence on anything sucks and that is why I will be cycling off my stack for a bit (a short bit).

Comment

Originally posted by AJM
                            My biggest concern on this issue is "psychological" dependence. What if you were weaker because your MINDSET and subconscious thoughts were telling your body "your weak today because you did not take your supps"....NEVER underestimate the power of the mind and subconcious thought. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my supps. and experience awesome gains when taking them. I just personally feel that dependence on anything sucks and that is why I will be cycling off my stack for a bit (a short bit).
                            That's why I cycle off after finishing a product, RA for instance. I was on Melting Point and once it finished, I gave it 2 weeks and then got RA. Same with BU, even though I went back to BU following, I still gave it time off. I don't discount the mind and what a person can do naturally, but if I can get bigger and stronger just that much more or that much sooner, so be it.(without nut shrinkage/acne/etc).

Current Supps:
                            Purple Wraath
                            Green Magnitude
                            Orange Triad
                            White Flood
                            Blue Up
                            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

its a very detable subject really, one with no real correct answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X