No announcement yet.

Muscle loss during cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love almonds and water when im a lil hungry, really fills you up.

a lack of fiber can cause excessive hunger spells too

Comment

go get some ground up flax seeds.
      www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

or wheat grass...

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

For me it really comes down to what I eat during a cutting phase that determines hunger. When using a 40/40/20 macronutrient breakdown I find that I usually end up pretty hungry, but if I modify it slightly to a 40/30/30 I end up having a feeling of satiety for most of the day.

That being said, back when I did keto cutting I was NEVER hungry.. hehe.

SCT
          Back to the basics!

Comment

I've solved my hunger issue by taking fish oil and conjugated lineolic acid supplements. I just finished bottles I bought a while ago (and already threw them away) but I was taking about 500mg EFA, 200mg DHA, and 150 GLA a day. This really helped out. I didn't feel hungry at all throughout the day.

Comment

Check out this article:

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand...D=35&pageNum=1

If it was that simple that would be cool
              "Stimulate, don't Annihilate." - Lee Haney

Comment

Yeah, it has some decent points and ideas but I don't see that as real world.
                However, I've seen since my cardio has gone up my weights have gone down. Perhaps due to lower caloric availablity, OR perhaps due to low glycogen stores from not eatting pre-cardio and then hitting 35-40 minutes pre-weights. Only real drop I've had is my bench and actually probably since I am working more on using a 1-2 second delay at my chest in the bottom position and trying to explode up. Who knows. Different routine, different results. Plus, at 185lbs, I'd be at 2700+- calories for the day. I don't think so. Everything I've looked at had me higher just on RMR/BMR. Inexact science for sure.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
                Purple Wraath
                Green Magnitude
                Orange Triad
                White Flood
                Blue Up
                100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                  Yeah, it has some decent points and ideas but I don't see that as real world.
                  However, I've seen since my cardio has gone up my weights have gone down. Perhaps due to lower caloric availablity, OR perhaps due to low glycogen stores from not eatting pre-cardio and then hitting 35-40 minutes pre-weights. Only real drop I've had is my bench and actually probably since I am working more on using a 1-2 second delay at my chest in the bottom position and trying to explode up. Who knows. Different routine, different results. Plus, at 185lbs, I'd be at 2700+- calories for the day. I don't think so. Everything I've looked at had me higher just on RMR/BMR. Inexact science for sure.

I think you need to recheck your math. Its Maintence - 31 cal per lb of Fat.

(ie 180 lb. person at 10% at sustain a 558 deficiet, so assuming a maintance of 2600 the lowest they should go would be 2042) What gets tricky is calories cycling, Is that the lowest day or the average?
                  Last edited by retro_roots; 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by retro_roots
                    I think you need to recheck your math. Its Maintence - 31 cal per lb of Fat.

(ie 180 lb. person at 10% at sustain a 558 deficiet, so assuming a maintance of 2600 the lowest they should go would be 2042) What gets tricky is calories cycling, Is that the lowest day or the average?
                    According to all the calculators for my height, weight in pounds, and age, I'm at an average of 1943 RMR.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.php

Info:
                    male 185, 70 inches tall, 28 years old.

Now that doesn't account for my daily activity, or hitting the gym 4-5 days a week for some decent cardio and weights. With those added in, it's about 3100 for maintenance. So that's why I'm kind of fucked up. I don't think I've been NEAR maintenance for a while if it is 3000 calories. Also, I would say that is about average (total I gave) +- what I spend at the gym (500-1000 calories).

Current Supps:
                    Purple Wraath
                    Green Magnitude
                    Orange Triad
                    White Flood
                    Blue Up
                    100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

lol it says I burn 5000 calories a day, whew!
                      A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                        lol it says I burn 5000 calories a day, whew!
                        Because you're a monster!

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                          According to all the calculators for my height, weight in pounds, and age, I'm at an average of 1943 RMR.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.php

Info:
                          male 185, 70 inches tall, 28 years old.

Now that doesn't account for my daily activity, or hitting the gym 4-5 days a week for some decent cardio and weights. With those added in, it's about 3100 for maintenance. So that's why I'm kind of fucked up. I don't think I've been NEAR maintenance for a while if it is 3000 calories. Also, I would say that is about average (total I gave) +- what I spend at the gym (500-1000 calories).

I'm lost, the article is about calculating max calories deficeit based on BF%. The idea is that each lb. of fat can prvide 31 cals of energy per day under normal circumstances. Maintence can vary greatly depending o anumber of factors.

Comment

Originally posted by retro_roots
                            I'm lost, the article is about calculating max calories deficeit based on BF%. The idea is that each lb. of fat can prvide 31 cals of energy per day under normal circumstances. Maintence can vary greatly depending o anumber of factors.
                            Sorry, wasn't referring to the article. All the calculators I've gone by off the web give me roughly the 3000 cal maintenance I refer to. It's based off sex, height, weight, bf% if known and age. It uses numerous formulas to get said total. I copied them here for you to peruse:

Method One Description:

Males: 66+ (6.22 x weight (lbs)) + (12.7 x height (inches)) - (6.8 x age)
                            Females: 655 + (4.36 x weight (lbs)) + (4.32 x height (inches)) - (4.7 x age)

Method Two Description: Harris-Benedict Equations

BW = body weight in kilograms, HT = height in cm, Age in years
                            Men: RMR = 66.473 + (13.751*BW) + (5.0033*HT) - (6.755*Age)
                            Women: RMR = 655.0955 + (9.463*BW) + (1.8496*HT) - (4.6756*Age)

Method Three Description: REVISED Harris-Benedict Equations

BW = body weight in kilograms, HT = height in cm, Age in years
                            Men: RMR = 88.362 + (13.397*BW) + (4.799*HT) - (5.677*Age)
                            Women: RMR = 447.593 + (9.247*BW) + (3.098*HT) - (4.330*Age)

Method Four Description: Quick Estimate Formula

Men: BW (in kg) * 24.2
                            Women: BW (in kg) * 22.0

Now granted, they may not be exact, but that's what's out there. My RMR will be about 1900+- a few. Add in my daily work, plus my training, and it comes to about 3000+- (take your number for rmr x 1.6 moderate work,etc).

Current Supps:
                            Purple Wraath
                            Green Magnitude
                            Orange Triad
                            White Flood
                            Blue Up
                            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Working...