No announcement yet.

Better then yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to get in the gym and do some light lifting tonight. Got a headache right after I got there. I think because it was so cold. My knees were really hurting. Tried doing my warm up and stretching. It sucked, I was so tight. My hamstrings are still pretty sore from the other day.

Split presses 3x10 25kg
    These felt okay.

Snatch press 3x10 15kg
    These felt horrible. Heavy and my shoulders were burning. Not sure what was going on tonight. Didn't feel sore from benches.

Incline press 3x12 15#db

Tricep extension 3x12 10#db

Tricep pressdowns (ppl band) 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

Pendlay rows 3x10 35kg
    These were tough, poor hammies.

GHD's 3x15

Tried working on my sumo stance squat with just the bar. These do not like me. I can't keep my balance on these. Kept falling backwards. Need to do a lot of hip mobility for this.
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• Since I got all my workouts done this week, today was my lifting day.

Squat Snatch Press 3x10 @ 23kg
      Last set 2 second pause at top

Snatch
      20x3
      25x3
      30 3x1
      35 2x1
      38 (m)
      46 (mx2)
      47 (mx2)

Feet off the board/dbl
      25, 30, 35
      Sngl
      38, 40

Snatch - let's try this again
      42, 44, 46, 48
      50 (mx3) I was under it so screw it
      51 (not pretty but I got it)
      53 (mx4) Mental...didn't want to go under it. Clarked the last 3

Clean & Jerk
      35, 40, 45, 50, 53, 56, 58
      Ripped both hands open on the 58
      Clean
      60, 62 (m)
      Wore myself out on the Snatches today.

Worked on my sumo squat
      5 @ 35
      5 @ 40
      5 @ 45
      5 @ 50

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• Today was max deadlift day off of 4” blocks. Started with 35kg and worked my way up to 112. This is a PR for me. My regular deadlift is 105. I tested this a couple of weeks before I started the Cube. That’s without doing any deadlifting for over a year at least. So that’s 7kg over my regular deadlift. Does that even count as a PR since it’s on blocks? Don’t know, but seeing as I’ve never done these for max, it still makes it a PR for me and I have never, ever lifted that much. Ever.
        Sumo Stiff Legged Deadlifts
        2x6 @ 65kg
        I’ve never done these before. How hard can they be right? Loaded 68kg on the bar. That’s my 65%. I was in my socks, walked up to the bar. Got in my stance, straight legs, grab the bar and lift. Nothing. O.o Couldn’t even get it off the ground and my feet were sliding in my socks. Fuck sumo. Stripped the bar down to 55 and put on my shoes. Tried again. Okay, that worked. Tried 60 and 65. 65 felt okay, think I can pull of 2 sets of 6.

Absolutely fucking horrible. Who the fuck comes up with this shit!!! And yes, I am fucking whining. It’s my blog so fuck you if you don’t like it.

DB Rows
        3x10 w/25#
        Felt some burning going on here.

DB Shrugs.
        2x20 w/10#
        Yes, I know 10#’s?! I hate shrugs. I don’t want to do them. I don’t want big traps and it doesn’t take much to build up my traps. Did I mention I hate these?

Up and Down Planks – 50
        First time doing these as well. Figured these would be pretty easy. Wrong. My upper back was burning by the time I was finished.

Thoughts: I’m seriously questioning my sanity with this program. The bodybuilding stuff, no biggie. Done most of them before. But I’ve never given much thought to what powerlifters do. They squat, bench and deadlift. Big fucking deal right?! Yeah, I take it all back. I will never laugh at a sumo anything anymore. They hate me. My tight little hips and powerlifting….really challenging for me.

My hands are raw and sore. My back and legs are tired. My ass is burning and cramping. I can’t wait for the 10 weeks to be over. And in all honesty, I really am loving this program. I’m learning all kinds of new things. And I feel much better and stronger overall.

I feel sorry for Corey (my coach) though. I ask a lot of questions. Those of you that know me, know I pretty much question EVERYTHING. I complain a lot too. When this program is done, I want to do it again. (I said I question my sanity, I never actually said I was sane.) Anyways, I don’t have any meets till about May that I want to do and my real goal this year is the Masters American Open. I plan on dominating all the old people.

Comment

• Floor press
          5x5 @ 70% 37kg/81#
          35kg is my 70% but it felt too easy so I went up just a little.

Incline DB press
          3x15 25#
          Definitely a bit more challenging on the last few reps.

Band pressdowns 100
          20, 20, 20, 20, 20 - They suck when I get to about 15.

Standing DB military press 3x10 20#
          These were so hard for me. Locking out the last 2 reps were pretty tough. I could barely get the last set.

Band Flyes 3x15 (purple band)
          Still not ready for the red bands.

Abs - 50
          Ghd's 2x25

So I have a lot of people questioning why I'm doing this program when I'm a weightlifter and not a powerlifter. I've heard do sumo's instead of conventional deadlifts. Don't do so sumo's, they won't help and so on. Everyone has an opinion on what I do or don't need to be doing. But I just want to say going into my 3rd week that I am feeling really good. I feel strong and HEALTHY. Not saying I'm not sore but I am finally not in pain. Maybe it has nothing to do with this program and maybe it has everything to do with this program.

My original plan was to tweak this program for weightlifting. I've decided I need to just follow the original program. I'm learning new things and hitting muscles I've forgotten were there. And most of all, I'm having fun again. Since some of these lifts are new to me I'm not sure what weight I'm capable of doing but I'm going to push heavier weights instead of babying it.

My overall goal is to get a 136kg squat and pull. Be able to snatch 60 and Clean & Jerk 75. Big goals, I know but I can do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bull.dogz View Post
            Tomorrow starts my first day of a new program called the Cube Method. This is a program Brandon Lilly put together.

Smart move. I read a bit about the cube method and to be honest if I made respectable money coaching I would buy the book just to get deeper info. It's simple but effective. Simple as in the programming not the effort required.
            Your oly lifts are going to take off . if your goal is to improve them, make sure your back squat doesn't go over 130% of your clean and jerk. I believe there is another ratio for front squat:back squat but I can't recall that off the top of my head.

if you watch videos from high level olympic lifters, they are all insanely strong. dudes squatting like triple bodyweight with no belt, wraps, and going insnaely deep. The downfall of weightlifting in the USA is the lack of focus on general strength and too much time on technique. combine that with the fact there is a very small pool of talent that actually begins olympic weightlifting in their youth and we are doomed to rarely ever win medals. it's sad we suck but at least some foreign information is beginning to spread

for the GHR I would use a band for assistance rather then pushing off the box -- the band will allow you to use a slow eccentric and develop the muscle you need while assisting the concentric to built the motor pattern. pushing will get the reps done but you use so much push off the box you arent really training that bottom portion which is the hardest aspect.. and there is little room for progression (you can push less hard but that is vague and hard to define/control) with bands you can go from thick to thin to ensure progress and eventually remove the band and begin to do BW and progress to loaded GHR. they are amazing, I did 3 sets of 50 once... it hurt for awhile...I really need to get a few nice GHR at my new job
            Last edited by FeMind; 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM.
            --lllll--------lllll--
            IRON MIND

Comment

• I'm going to have to try that with the band. My hamstrings are so weak. It's pathetic. Thanks for the tips!!

Comment

• I. am. EXHAUSTED! I think moving has finally caught up with me. I didn't want to get out of bed today. I didn't want to lift either.

Squat Snatch Press 3x10 @23kg.
                These usually get easier with each set. Not today. They got heavier and heavier.

Lockouts 3x10 @ 38kg
                I don't know what to call these. They were miserable. The last set I struggled with the last few reps.

Pullups - 1st red band, 2-3 blue band (10 reps ea)
                Red was too hard, blue was better. Only maybe the first 4 were easy. I'm embarrassed.

Pendlays 3x10 @35kg

Extensions 12#db max reps
                11, 10, 7
                Another weak area. My right arm was ready to give out before my left.

Abs
                Planks 1:30, 1, 1 (1 min rest in between)
                V-ups 2x10

I thought about doing some push ups. Thought about it. I just wanted to be done today. Feel like crap.

Comment

• More like Tigger and less like Eeyore. Coach calls me Eeyore because I go so slow. So today I tried to move faster. To be more explosive.

Deadlift 3x2 @ 89kg/196#

Deadlift 2x3 @ 84/185

2" block pull snatch grip 3x12 @ 63/139
                  Here's where it got nasty. 1st 2 sets were okay, around rep 8 on my second set I had to catch my breath. Set 3, I threw up in my mouth. Yeah, gross. I was thinking there's no way I can get through another 3 set of these. Low back was pretty tight now.

2" block pull snatch grip 3x10 @ 58/128
                  These felt easy. Guess I did survive another 3 sets. *shrugs*

Squats 4x10 @ 50/110
                  This must be where I'm going to die, right?! Legs were feeling a bit like jello but blew through these too. My body has definitely adjusted to the volume now.

4x10 GHR's or Lunges (2x10 walking lunges, 2x10 GHR's)
                  GHR's are my weakness and I know I should do them but I knew I wouldn't get through 4 sets with good form. So did 2 sets of walking lunges and 2 sets of GHR. Didn't feel horrible like the first time I did these. 2nd set (video) wasn't as pretty as the first. If you can call them pretty.

Ab work
                  50 criss crosses (don't know what you call them)
                  2x10 Knees to elbows

Lots of stretching to finish it off.

Comment

• you could do 10-20 glute hams to begin every session or finish every session with a set of 25 dimel deadlifts to bring your posterior chain up fast. reps = motor learning
                    --lllll--------lllll--
                    IRON MIND

Comment

• Week 4 Day 2
                      Bench press off of 2 boards 1x2-3 102%
                      warm up with sets of 5 till about 80%
                      5@20, 25, 30, 35
                      3@ 38, 40, 43, 45, 48, 50
                      1x3 @ 52/114
                      Left shoulder was bothering me during the warm up but felt fine once I was warmed up.

Bench 3 boards 3x15 @ 38/83
                      Had to remember to go slow and try to explode. Don't think I exploded lol.

Lat pulldowns 3x15 blue band

Band tricep ext 4x15
                      1st set I used the purple but it felt too easy, switched to red. Last 5 on these were much harder but I'm feeling stronger on these.

DB military press (palms facing in) 20#
                      1x10, 2x15
                      Turning my hands in feel much easier than palms forward so went up in reps.

DB bent over shrugs
                      1x10, 2x15, 1x10
                      I hate shrugs. These felt horrible. My back was still sore from the deadlifts.

Not a great day. I wasn't completely focused. The gym was packed and I was distracted most of the time.

Week 4 Day 3
                      Didn't know if I would get through this workout. I got a new puppy so I was up constantly. She slept just fine. I was up every hour looking for her, making sure she was still in bed or didn't pee. Anyways......

Warmup:
                      5@35, 2@45, 2@55, 2@60, 2@65, 1@70, 75

5x2 @ 80kg/176#

1x85kg/187# (I can't make a 10kg jump)

1x90kg/198#

Pause Squats
                      5x5 @ 55/121

Bulgarian Split Squats
                      4x12 15#DB
                      Everything was burning. I refused to take a video so Coach can laugh at my pain.

Good Mornings
                      3x12 @ 25kg/55
                      These are starting to feel more comfortable.

KB Swings
                      3x15 53#

Abmat situps
                      2x25

Week 4 Day 4
                      Not the best lifting day. Legs and ass are still pretty sore.

Snatch
                      3x20, 3x25
                      Flr
                      30, 35, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50 (mx3 forward, knee snatches)
                      Board
                      35, 38, 40 (m behind)
                      Flr
                      40, 43, 45, 47(m), 49(m)

Clean & Jerk
                      35, 35, 40, 45, 50, 53, 55, 58, 60(no jerk)
                      Tweaked my wrist at 50, powered it but didn't get under it.

Really didn't want to get under anything today. Was under the snatches but tough standing them up.

Split press
                      3x10 @ 25kg

Squat Snatch Press
                      3x10 @ 25kg

Pullups
                      3x10 w/blue band

Pendlays
                      4x8 @ 37kg

Ring Dips w/red band max reps
                      12, 13, 11
                      Edit/Delete Message

Week 5 Day 1
                      Speed deadlifts

Deadlift
                      8x1 @ 75kg/165#

2" Block Pull Snatch Grip
                      1x20 @50/110

Squat - wide stance
                      5x6
                      3 sets @ 55/121
                      2 sets @ 60/132
                      These are feeling easier. Still need work though.

Clean shrugs
                      3x15 @ 35/77

Back raises
                      20, 20, 20

Band lat pulldowns
                      4x15 blue band
                      Felt really hard, struggled with the last 5 reps on all sets.

Up/down planks
                      2x25

Deadlifts are feeling much lighter. No Eeyore today.

Comment

• Week 5 Day 2
                        Bench - Reps

Flat Bench
                        1x3 @ 44kg/96#
                        1x3 @ 45/99
                        1x3 @ 46/102

Military Press
                        3x10 @ 25kg

Lat Band Pulldowns
                        4x15 Blue band

Band Tricep Pulldowns
                        Red band - 20, 20 Purple band - 20, 20, 20

Side Lateral w/2.5kg - 100
                        No resting till all 100 are done. They sucked ass.

Tired and cranky today. Didn't want to train at all. Was in a class for 9 hours in traffic for 3. All I wanted was to go home and sleep. Didn't do much of a warm up and I could feel it with the bench, they all felt hard.

The only good thing that happened today is the rooster that lives across the street got hit by a car. Put a smile on my face when I pulled into the driveway and saw him laying there.

Week 5 Day 3
                        Back squats
                        1x85%, 1x92.5%, 1x 97.5%
                        1x85kg 85%
                        1x90
                        1x92 92% - I didn't think I could stand this up.
                        1x95 (M) Since I struggled with 92 I only went up to 95.
                        Was completely frustrated that I missed this.
                        2x85kg

3x12 @ 50kg

Front squats
                        3x20 @ 40

Lunges
                        3x12

Back raises
                        20, 20, 20

Shitty fucking night. Was so frustrated, really wanted to give up. After that miss all that was going through my mind was fuck this program, fuck this whole fucking thing I want to quit.

I miss lifting. And I'm tired of being tired and sore. This shit is not getting easier and I'm feeling weaker. Like I'm not making any gains at all.

*And yes Corey, I know how you feel about me doing front squats but I didn't care tonight. Just wanted to do something I enjoyed. Or used to. I hate squats.

Comment

• Squat snatch press
                          10@15kg, 10@20, 10@25

Snatches/dbl (flr/kn)
                          20, 20, 25, 25, 30

Snatch
                          35 (m-in front) not a good start :/
                          43 (m)
                          43 - did something I never do with snatches....I wore a belt
                          47 (m)
                          49 (m)
                          52 - Clarked it a couple of times. I seem to have a metal block when I get here

Clean & Jerk
                          58 (m - jerk forward)

Push presses
                          2x10 @ 35kg, 10 @ 38kg

Burpee Pullups
                          2x10

"Cindy" AMRAP 20min
                          5 Pull ups
                          10 Push ups
                          15 Air squats

11 rounds + 11 reps
                          (1-3 strict pushups, rest on knees)

Today is supposed to be bodybuilding day. Really didn't feel like doing much after the push presses. I had planned on doing push ups today anyways so ended up doing Cindy with Chris. No, I don't normally Crossfit. I know I'm going to regret this one. I'll be lucky if I can lift my arms tomorrow.

Comment

• Bench – Speed

Floor Press (w/up 20, 25, 30, 35 x3)
                            8×3 @ 40kg/88#

Incline DB Press 3×15
                            2×15 25#, 1 x max reps w/25#
                            We only have db’s that go up to 25 so went for max reps on the last set.

Band Pressdowns – 100
                            Red band 20, 20 Purple band 20, 20, 20

Standing DB Military press
                            4×6 – 1st set w/20#, sets 2-4 w/25#

Band flies
                            3×15 Red band (really hard)

Abs – 50
                            GHD’s 25, 25

The class was working on Snatches tonight. I wanted to work on Snatches. I didn’t.

Comment

• Snatches/dbl
                              20, 25, 25, 30, 35
                              Singles
                              40, 43, 45, 48 (m- under it, just didn't push back).
                              48 (m-behind), 48 (m-knee), 45 (m-knee)
                              Low back is still tight. Didn't really plan on going up past 40 today but they felt pretty easy. Just not sitting back on my heels on the 48.

Clean & 2 Jerks
                              35, 40, 45, 50, 53, 55, 58 (m-jerks), 58 better but didn't lock out the 2nd jerk on the right side. I haven't done these in a couple of months. Was surprised at how good the jerks felt. The most I could ever do 2 jerks of were 50 and the 2nd rep was never pretty.

Clean & Jerk
                              60, 62 (PR), 64 (PR) almost lost it behind me after I recovered.

Didn't expect my lifts to feel good today, low back is still tight and ass and thighs sore from squats still. Only planned on doing light sets to warm up and help with the soreness. Jerks felt so good I couldn't stop there. All the doubles after 50 were PR's.

Split press
                              3x10 @ 25kg

KB press - singles to max 26#kb
                              12, 11, 10
                              I tried to use the 35# kettlebell but couldn't get it up at all.

KB C&J 26#kb - 2 sets to max
                              15, 11
                              That was more cardio than anything.

Lat pulldowns - blue band
                              50, 50

Planks
                              1, 30sec, 30sec
                              Damn my abs are sore

Comment

• AM Session:
                                Snatch (Hips/triples)
                                20, 20, 25, 25, 30, 30, 30, 30
                                Traps are sore from yesterday, 30 felt pretty heavy today.

Clean Pulls
                                30x6x3

Afternoon: (Low back tired and sore before I even started today)
                                Deadlifts - Reps
                                1x2 @ 90kg
                                Rattled my brain when I dropped the weight on the 2nd rep. Don't laugh, you know you've done it too.

4" Block Snatch Grip
                                2x15 @ 65kg

Front Squats
                                3x12 @ 50kg
                                Felt like it's been forever since I've done these. Had a hard time not popping my butt up.

GHR's
                                3x10
                                These actually didn't feel horrible. Tried to slow down coming back down on the last 2 sets.

Back raises
                                20, 20, 20

Abmat situps - 25

Planks - 1, 1, 1

Comment

Working...
                                X