Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better then yesterday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Better then yesterday

My goal in this journal is just to be better then I was yesterday. Just starting back into working out after a shoulder injury which kept me from training upper body for about 6 months.

I've lost a lot of strength because of it but I'm easing back into things. Trying not to let my ego get in the way.

My style of training? CrossFit. I've been doing this for almost 2 years and loving it. It's gotten me into the best shape of my life.
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Hiiii Guess who? Hehe! So funny that you just posted this today as this is my first time logging on here in well over a year! I made me a baby Just had her back on March 9th. Getting back into working out again after WAY too much time off! Gained 70 lbs over my pregnancy But have dropped 25 lb so far - 45 to go! I'll have to start getting on here again and keep an eye on ya!

May 2
    "Jeremy"
    21 - 15 - 9
    Overhead Squats
    Burpees

Time: 9:40 Weight: 43#

May 3
    Front Squats
    5-5-5-5-5
    Weight: 83#-93-103-108-118

May 5
    "Griff"
    800m Run
    400m Backwards run
    800m Run
    400m Backwards run
    Time: 17:46 Previous time: 16:24 (Feb 2 2010)

May 9
    21 - 15 - 9
    Box Jumps 20"
    Power Snatch 53#
    Pull Ups (C2B = Chest to bar)
    Time: 17:28

Kipped my pullups. Shoulders are feeling pretty good. Not strong enough for c2b yets though.

May 10
    5 Rounds:
    5 Overhead squats 53#
    10 T2B (Toes to bar)
    15 DB Power Cleans 20#db
    20 Double Unders
    Time: 24:24
    This was a gasser. Lungs were burning.

May 12
    "CrossFit Total"
    Backsquat - 185# Max: 200 (Feb 23, 2010)
    Shoulder Press - 42# Max: 95#
    Deadlift - 205# Max: 240#
    First time doing a shoulder press. I could feel it in my left shoulder but it wasn't painful. Finally getting my back squat back up as well. Couldn't back squat before since it was painful to hold bar. Deadlift I didn't want to go for my max. I plan on working out today so I didn't want to be too sore. I did hit 230# so I know my deads are still pretty close to my max.

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Quote Originally Posted by dogsofgold View Post
    Hiiii Guess who? Hehe! So funny that you just posted this today as this is my first time logging on here in well over a year! I made me a baby Just had her back on March 9th. Getting back into working out again after WAY too much time off! Gained 70 lbs over my pregnancy But have dropped 25 lb so far - 45 to go! I'll have to start getting on here again and keep an eye on ya!
    Congratulations!!!!!!! I was wondering where you disappeared to. What's her name and you need to post a picture!!!

Great job on the weight loss, that's quite a bit. Are you going to start a journal so I can keep track of YOU!

May 13
    "Annie"
    50-40-30-20-10
    Double Unders
    Abmat Sit-Ups
    Time: 7:31 PR (Previous 7:42) - Rx'd (as prescribed)

Hell yea !!!

Red face

May 15, 2001
    5 Rounds for time:
    15 Thrusters
    Bar facing Burpees
    Time: 14:30

This workout was the true test of my shoulders. Burpees is how I originally hurt my arm/shoulder a fews years back. I stuck with just the bar since this was my first time doing thrusters in a long time. Lowering the bar was no problem. No pain at all.

Book I'm reading now: "Lone Survivor" Marcus Luttrell.

This is seriously a must read!! Makes you really appreciate what our soldiers are really doing for us.

"Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July, 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to have a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His teammates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.

A born and raised Texan, Marcus Luttrell takes us from the rigors of SEAL training, where he and his fellow SEALs discovered what it took to join the most elite of the American special forces, to a fight in the desolate hills of Afghanistan for which they never could have been prepared. His account of his squadmates' heroism and mutual support renders an experience for which two of his squadmates were posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism that is both heartrending and life-affirming. In this rich chronicle of courage and sacrifice, honor and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers a powerful narrative of modern war." (taken from Barnes and Noble)

Afternoon:

FS
    88 (PR)
    89 (M)

Sots press 3x10 @ 23kg

Evening:

Snatch (Hips/dbl)

Snatch (kn/ohs)

Snatch
    35 (M)
    35 (M)
    25 (M)
    40 (M)(M)(M)
    All my misses were me coming down on my knees. I don't know what the hell, I'm fine from the hips and knees.

Clean & 2 Jerks
    Wrists started to really hurt at 50 but the jerks were good.

FS
    85 (M) no bounce with these

Split press 3x10 @ 25kg
    These don't seem to be getting any easier.

Situps w/10kg plate

FS
    88 (M)
    Didn't feel much bounce in these which was why I went up little by little.

Sots press 3x10 @23kg

Snatch (hips/dbl)

Snatch (kn/ohs)
    40 - right knee touched, adjusted and ohs

Clean & 2 Jerks

Clean & Jerk 50
    Clean only 53 - wrist didn't like it too much

FS
    85 (M)

Split press 3x10 @ 25kg

Worked the Moxie Madness this weekend. (CrossFit team competitions) Had a lot of fun judging. Was pretty tired so didn't train Saturday or Sunday. Thought about taking today as a rest day since I did so much running around this weekend but went in anyways.

FS
    87 - Struggled with this one.

Sots press 3x10 @ 23kg
    These were horrible since I have a sunburn on the back of my neck.

Snatch - hips/dbl

Snatch - flr w/pause at knees/knee
    Just trying to work on pushing my knees back.

Clean & 2 jerks
    50 - cleaned this and tweaked my right wrist; no jerk, stopped here

Split press 3x10 @ 25kg

FS
    83 (M) wrist was hurting

Truck twists and situps w/10kg plate 3x10

FS
    87 (M)

Split press 3x10 @ 25kg

Going to try working out in the am before work tomorrow. Not to sure about this, I'm not a morning person.

AM:
    FS
    87 (M)

Sots press 3x10 @ 23kg

PM:
    FS 35
    89 - PR
    90 (M)

Push press
    25 x5
    35 x5
    40 5x5

Ab work: planks

BS
    Warmup:
    35x5
    45x5

57x3
    66x2
    76x5
    76x5
    76x5
    76x5
    76x5
    76x5

Something snapped in my right shoulder/chest on the 7th set. I normally use a wide grip on my bs but tried to go closer. Guess it didn't like it. Didn't feel any pain. Right now I can feel it but not sure how to describe it. No pain.

Sots
    20x5
    23x5
    25x5
    28x5 - couldn't press out on the last rep, so did it again with a dip drive

Stretching

Deadlifts
    3x3 @ 74/163

Pulls - 4" Block
    2x3 @ 79/174

BS
    3x8 @ 50/110

GHR
    4x10
    These were horrible. I can't do them and had to use a box.

Back raises
    50 - not sure I did these right. Sending video to Corey for any form corrections.

Planks 3x1min (1 min rest in between)

Bench Day

Floor press – work up to single
    Warm up
    bar (15kg)x 10 (2 sets)

50 (110#)
    53 (Missed)
    I know I’m not supposed to miss but I’ve never done these so didn’t know what my max was. 50 felt okay.

Bench press
    30kg 215 (66#)
    2nd set was hard

Lat pulldown (w/red band)

Band pressdowns – (w/little purple band) 100
    10, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15

DB Shrugs
    15#db 315

Military press
    20kg 312
    Should have just used the bar. These were horrible, my arms were jello. And I used a wider grip then I’m used to. My presses have always been close grip but I tried to do these as strict as possible, going down to chin. My last set I had to rest to get the last 4 reps. Could barely lock them out.

Abmat situps – 30

Was praying this workout wouldn't kill me when I started. By the end I was praying it did just so I could be done with it.

Back Squats 3x3 @ 70kg (70 was the plan anyways)
    80kg 1x3 (felt so heavy so lowered the weight)
    75kg 3x3 (into the 2nd set I realized this was 75 and not 65)
    I normally use the 15kg plates when I squat and completely forgot I had put on the 20's. So ended up doing squats at 75%.

Front Squat @ 70% for max reps
    63kg for 10 reps

Back Squats 5x5 Wide stance @ 50kg
    Felt weird but I kinda like these. Probably because they're something different. Knees wanted to cave in a little so had to focus on pushing them out.

Front Squats 4x15 @ 35kg
    Yeah, this workout was really starting to suck at this point.

Lunges 3x12
    By the 3rd set everything was really burning. Especially my ass.

KB Swings 3x15 @ 20kg
    Had planned on using the 24kg but my back was tired and didn't want to risk it.

Butt cheeks and quads are still pretty sore from leg day. Today is supposed to be my "fun" day. I think it's a lie.

Squat Snatch Press
    3x10 @ 23kg

Snatch
    flr/kn
    20, 25, 30

Singles from the floor
    35, 38, 40, 43, 45 (M)

Just wanted to get some lifting in today. Was moving pretty fast (for me). Around 40 I could feel it in my shoulders a bit.

Clean & 2 Jerks
    35, 40, 45

C&J
    50, 53, 56 (M) missed the clean, was completely forward, 56 (M/J) didn't want to get under that jerk today. Fuck it.

Split press
    3x10 @ 25

DB Incline press
    3x12 15#

Jumping
    3x10
    Goal is to be able to do them from a deadhang again. I use a pretty close grip, doesn't hurt my shoulders this way.

Ring dips (red band)
    3x12
    Think I'll do tri extensions next time (just a note for myself)

Bulgarian Split squat
    1x10 15#db - What the fuck was I thinking doing these. IT FUCKING BURNED!! Dropped the weights
    2x10 bodyweight

Ab work:
    V ups - 3x10
    Side bends 3x10

Thoughts: First week down. Not sure how I feel about the benching and what they are doing to my shoulders and what they are doing to/for my lifts. I think I need to add in a lot more shoulder mobility work. I don't think the deadlifts are effecting my technique on Cleans, cause I kinda suck at those to begin with. Felt great light, that miss at 56 I just don't know what happened. That's not a hard lift for me.....it shouldn't be anyways.

Snatch (dbl/board)
    20, 20, 25, 30

Singles - board
    35 (M - behind), 35, 35 (M - behind), 35

Deadlifts 10x1 @ 68
    Got them done in 2 minutes. I could have pulled them all 10 in a row without putting them down but I figured since they were supposed to be singles....

Snatch grip deadlift 1x20 @ 53
    My butt started to really burn around 15, low back was pretty pumped.

Squats (wide stance) 3x8 @ 50
    These felt so heavy and hard today. My knees wanted to cave in and my chest kept dropping.

Clean high pulls 3x12 @ 45 (on a board)
    Should have done the shrugs. These were horrible, trying to keep my butt down and working on pushing my knees forward.....didn't happen. My legs and butt were burning. I should have gone a bit lighter. The last set didn't look as bad as the 2nd (one's in the video). Broke it down to 8 and 4.

Back raises 50
    Did 15, 15, 10, 10

Band lat pulldowns 4x15 (Blue band)

Abs:
    Abmat situps 2x15
    GHD situps 2x10

Lots and lots of stretching which helped relieve the tightness I was feeling in my back.

Since I got all my workouts done this week, today was my lifting day.

Squat Snatch Press 3x10 @ 23kg
    Last set 2 second pause at top

Snatch
    20x3
    25x3
    30 3x1
    35 2x1
    38 (m)
    46 (mx2)
    47 (mx2)

Feet off the board/dbl
    25, 30, 35
    Sngl
    38, 40

Snatch - let's try this again
    42, 44, 46, 48
    50 (mx3) I was under it so screw it
    51 (not pretty but I got it)
    53 (mx4) Mental...didn't want to go under it. Clarked the last 3

Clean & Jerk
    35, 40, 45, 50, 53, 56, 58
    Ripped both hands open on the 58
    Clean
    60, 62 (m)
    Wore myself out on the Snatches today.

Worked on my sumo squat
    5 @ 35
    5 @ 40
    5 @ 45
    5 @ 50

Today was max deadlift day off of 4” blocks. Started with 35kg and worked my way up to 112. This is a PR for me. My regular deadlift is 105. I tested this a couple of weeks before I started the Cube. That’s without doing any deadlifting for over a year at least. So that’s 7kg over my regular deadlift. Does that even count as a PR since it’s on blocks? Don’t know, but seeing as I’ve never done these for max, it still makes it a PR for me and I have never, ever lifted that much. Ever.
    Sumo Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    2x6 @ 65kg
    I’ve never done these before. How hard can they be right? Loaded 68kg on the bar. That’s my 65%. I was in my socks, walked up to the bar. Got in my stance, straight legs, grab the bar and lift. Nothing. O.o Couldn’t even get it off the ground and my feet were sliding in my socks. Fuck sumo. Stripped the bar down to 55 and put on my shoes. Tried again. Okay, that worked. Tried 60 and 65. 65 felt okay, think I can pull of 2 sets of 6.

Absolutely fucking horrible. Who the fuck comes up with this shit!!! And yes, I am fucking whining. It’s my blog so fuck you if you don’t like it.

DB Rows
    3x10 w/25#
    Felt some burning going on here.

DB Shrugs.
    2x20 w/10#
    Yes, I know 10#’s?! I hate shrugs. I don’t want to do them. I don’t want big traps and it doesn’t take much to build up my traps. Did I mention I hate these?

Up and Down Planks – 50
    First time doing these as well. Figured these would be pretty easy. Wrong. My upper back was burning by the time I was finished.

Thoughts: I’m seriously questioning my sanity with this program. The bodybuilding stuff, no biggie. Done most of them before. But I’ve never given much thought to what powerlifters do. They squat, bench and deadlift. Big fucking deal right?! Yeah, I take it all back. I will never laugh at a sumo anything anymore. They hate me. My tight little hips and powerlifting….really challenging for me.

My hands are raw and sore. My back and legs are tired. My ass is burning and cramping. I can’t wait for the 10 weeks to be over. And in all honesty, I really am loving this program. I’m learning all kinds of new things. And I feel much better and stronger overall.

I feel sorry for Corey (my coach) though. I ask a lot of questions. Those of you that know me, know I pretty much question EVERYTHING. I complain a lot too. When this program is done, I want to do it again. (I said I question my sanity, I never actually said I was sane.) Anyways, I don’t have any meets till about May that I want to do and my real goal this year is the Masters American Open. I plan on dominating all the old people.

Thread Information