Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight training and cardio for Taekwondo (going for 2nd Dan at end of 2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight training and cardio for Taekwondo (going for 2nd Dan at end of 2011)

I currently do weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and do Taekwondo on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I have Sunday off for total rest.

First I tried cutting down to lose weight, that didn't work because I lost motivation, then I decided to bulk up, and I have had success with that and have got quite strong quite quickly from lifting heavy weights with low reps.

My question is: Should I do lighter weights with higher reps and cut down? Because I am a little over weight and am finding the TKD sessions to be killers. I've recently started again at black belt level, but havnt done it for about 4 years. I need to lose some fat in the belly too.
    Also should I do any more cardio other than the 3 TKD training sessions?

My aims are: The perfect balance between speed and strength and still having some good mass to me. I would like a body like Bruce Lee's, but a bit more bulky. And I need to get WAY more fit and have WAY more endurance.

Overall goals: Obtain 2nd Dan and compete at competiton level in TKD or cage fighting. I love sparring, but under stand that is different to real fighting I like both.

Training and obaining a 2nd Dan is pretty hardcore. I can do all the stuff pretty good, muscle memory is an amazing thing.

If you need to cut down, I would rarely ever suggest lighter weights and higher except to possibly improve conditioning or in a sport specific program.
    Lift heavy with lower reps but be in a calorie deficit whether through diet alone or with additional cardio sessions.
    After a few weeks in a calorie defict, you may have to reduce your total volume with your weights but try continue to lift heavy.
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply mate, you are an inspiration to me. I've been lifting heavy with medium reps, and i've decided to bulk. So I am eating lots, it's a dirty bulk too (can't help myself atm to be honest, but I am disappointed in myself)

I am great at training but find it hard with the diet, eating lots isnt the problem it's what I eat lol. Isnt all bad though, lots of protein. Training is going awesome, i'll keep you updated and pics coming soon, I need to get someone to take them with my webcam. Thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Seroph4x
        I have had success with that and have got quite strong quite quickly from lifting heavy weights with low reps.
        Adjust diet specifically, and keep training as hard as you can (smart too)

DEFINITELY get some pics up ASAP so we can be more specific....

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g View Post
          Adjust diet specifically, and keep training as hard as you can (smart too)

DEFINITELY get some pics up ASAP so we can be more specific....
          ill post some up tonight

I got a real problem though, im cant control my diet at all, im dirty bulking to the max, IM OUT OF CONTROL I TELL YA! i eat 6-8 meals a day, of what ever i can get, usually high in fat but always high in protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Seroph4x View Post
            ill post some up tonight

I got a real problem though, im cant control my diet at all, im dirty bulking to the max, IM OUT OF CONTROL I TELL YA! i eat 6-8 meals a day, of what ever i can get, usually high in fat but always high in protein.
            Make sure you dont buy trash foods. If you dont have those foods in your house then most likely wont go out and get it. Whether its training or nutrition, consistency and discipline is the main key.
            "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
            CFD

Comment

Working...
            X