Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirulina: Supergreen Superfood ?

What Is Spirulina

Spirulina is a blue-green algae. It is a simple, one-celled form of algae that thrives in warm, alkaline fresh-water bodies. The name "spirulina" is derived from the Latin word for "helix" or "spiral"; denoting the physical configuration of the organism when it forms swirling, microscopic strands.

Spirulina is being developed as the "food of the future" because of its amazing ability to synthesize high-quality concentrated food more efficiently than any other algae. Most notably, Spirulina is 65 to 71 percent complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. In comparison, beef is only 22 percent protein.

Spirulina has a photosynthetic conversion rate of 8 to 10 percent, compared to only 3 percent in such land-growing plants as soybeans.

In addition, Spirulina is one of the few plant sources of vitamin B12, usually found only in animal tissues. A teaspoon of Spirulina supplies 21/2 times the Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamin B12 and contains over twice the amount of this vitamin found in an equivalent serving of liver.

Spirulina also provides high concentrations of many other nutrients - amino acids, chelated minerals, pigmentations, rhamnose sugars (complex natural plant sugars), trace elements, enzymes - that are in an easily assimilable form.

Even though it is single-celled, Spirulina is relatively large, attaining sizes of 0.5 millimeters in length. This is about 100 times the size of most other algae, which makes some individual Spirulina cells visible to the naked eye. Furthermore, the prolific reproductive capacity of the cells and their proclivity to adhere in colonies makes Spirulina a large and easily gathered plant mass.

The algae are differentiated according to predominating colorations, and are divided into blue-green, green, red and brown. Spirulina is one of the blue-green algae due to the presence of both chlorophyll (green) and phycocyanin (blue) pigments in its cellular structure.

Even though Spirulina is distantly related to the kelp algae, it is not a sea plant. However, the fresh-water ponds and lakes it favors are notably more saline - in the range of 8 to 11 pH than ordinary lakes and cannot sustain any other forms of microorganisms. In addition, Spirulina thrives in very warm waters of 32 to 45 degrees C (approximately 85 to 112 degrees F), and has even survived in temperatures of 60 degrees C (140 degrees F)

Certain desert-adapted species will survive when their pond habitats evaporate in the intense sun, drying to a dormant state on rocks as hot as 70 degrees Centigrade (160 degrees F). In this dormant condition, the naturally blue-green algae turns a frosted white and develops a sweet flavor as its 71 percent protein structure is transformed into polysaccharide sugars by the heat.

Some scientists speculate that the "manna" of the wandering Israelites, which appeared miraculously on rocks following a devastating dry spell and was described as tasting "like wafers made with hone " may have been a form of dried, dormant Spirulina.

This ability of Spirulina to grow in hot and alkaline environments ensures its hygienic status, as no other organisms can survive to pollute the waters in which this algae thrives. Unlike the stereotypical association of microorganisms with "germs" and "scum", Spirulina is in fact one of the cleanest, most naturally sterile foods found in nature.

Its adaptation to heat also assures that Spirulina retains its nutritional value when subject to high temperatures during processing and shelf storage, unlike many plant foods that rapidly deteriorate at high temperatures.

Spirulina is also unusual among algae because it is a "nuclear plant" meaning it is on the developmental cusp between plants and animals. It is considered somewhat above plants because it does not have the hard cellulose membranes characteristic of plant cells, nor does it have a well-defined nucleus. Yet its metabolic system is based on photosynthesis, a process of direct food energy production utilizing sunlight and chlorophyll, which is typical of plant life forms.

In essence, Spirulina straddles that fork in evolutionary development when the plant and animal kingdoms differentiated. Thus it embodies the simplest form of life. In contrast, other algae such as Chlorella have developed the hard indigestible walls characteristic of plants.

Spirulina
    TRADE NAMES

Fingerprinted Spirulina (GNC), Hawaiian Spirulina (Source Naturals, Rainbow Light), Chinese Spirulina (Nature's Way), Spirulina Pacific (Nutrex), Spirulina Green Superfood for Life (Earthrise), Spirulina Gold (Earthrise), Spirulina Sunrise Bar (Glenny's).

DESCRIPTION

Spirulina is a genus of the phylum Cyanobacteria. Cyanobacteria are classified as either blue-green algae or as blue-green bacteria. Spirulina is a popular food supplement in Japan and is marketed as a nutritional supplement in the United States. Spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass and chlorella are sometimes referred to as "green foods." There are several species of spirulina. The ones most commonly used in nutritional supplements are Spirulina platensis (also called Arthrospira platensis) and Spirulina maxima.

Spirulina used for the production of nutritional supplements is either grown in outdoor tanks or harvested from lakes in as Mexico, Central and South America, and Africa.

Spirulina is a rich source of protein. It also contains chlorophyll, carotenoids, minerals, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and some unique pigments. These pigments, called phycobilins, include phycocyanin and allophycocyanin. The pigments give spirulina their bluish tinge. Phycobilins are similar in structure to bile pigments such as bilirubin. In the spirulina cell, phycobilins are attached to proteins; the phycobilin-protein complex is called phycobiliprotein.

ACTIONS AND PHARMACOLOGY

ACTIONS

Spirulina has putative antiviral, hypocholesterolemic, antioxidant, hepatoprotective, antiallergic and immune-modulatory activities.

MECHANISM OF ACTION

A sulfated polysaccharide called calcium spirulan isolated from Spirulina platensis (Arthrospira platensis) was found to inhibit a number of membraned viruses. The viruses inhibited by the polysaccharide included herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), cytomegalovirus, measles virus, mumps virus and HIV-1. Calcium spirulan appears to inhibit the penetration of these viruses into host cells. These studies were performed in vitro.

Spirulina has been shown to have hypocholesterolemic activity in experimental animals. The mechanism of this activity is unknown.

The spirulina pigment phycocyanin has demonstrated antioxidant activity. It scavenges peroxyl radicals.

Phycocyanin has been found to protect against hepatotoxins in rats. The mechanism may be via its antioxidant activity. An extract of Spirulina maxima also protected against carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity in rats. The phycocyanin contained in the extract, as well as other antioxidants, probably account for the hepatoprotective effect.

Mast-cell mediated immediate-type allergic reactions were found to be inhibited in rats by spirulina. It is speculated that there are substances in spirulina that may inhibit mast-cell degranulation, possibly by affecting the mast-cell membrane.

Spirulina platensis extracts have been demonstrated to enhance macrophage function in cats and to enhance humoral and cell-mediated immune functions in chickens. The mechanism of these effects is unknown.

PHARMACOKINETICS

The pharmacokinetics of spirulina in humans have not been studied. However, the proteins, lipids and carbohydrates in spirulina should be digested, absorbed and metabolized by normal physiological processes.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE

Spirulina has shown some indication of having antiviral effects in preliminary in vitro and animal studies. There is also evidence of a preliminary nature that it might favorably affect some immune functions and have some hepatoprotective capability. It has shown some promise of inhibiting some allergic reactions in recent experimental studies. Hypocholesterolemic effects have been reported in some animal studies.

RESEARCH SUMMARY

An extract of spirulina inhibited in vitro replication of HSV-1 simplex virus type 1. It also significantly prolonged survival time of HSV-1-infected hamsters. It seemed to act, not through direct virucidal effects, but rather through inhibition of viral penetration into cells. Subsequently, further experiments demonstrated that spirulina extract significantly inhibited in vitro replication of several enveloped viruses, including human cytomegalovirus, measles virus, mumps virus, influenza A virus and HIV-1. Again, the mechanism of action was said to be selective inhibition of viral penetration into host cells.

More recently still, other researchers have focused specifically on the ability of a spirulina extract to inhibit HIV-1 replication in human T-cell lines, peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) and Langerhans cells (LC). The researchers stated: "We conclude that aqueous A platensis extracts contain antiretroviral activity that may be of potential clinical interest."

Spirulina and some of its constituents have shown an ability to favorably affect various immune functions. In one animal experiment, it boosted phagocytic activity and increased natural killer (NK)-cell activity two-fold, compared with controls.

Spirulina has significantly inhibited chemically induced anaphylactic shock and serum histamine levels in rats, leading to the conclusion that spirulina may inhibit mast-cell degranulation. In another animal experiment, spirulina significantly inhibited local allergic reactions induced by anti-dinitrophenyl (DNP) IgE. It demonstrated, more specifically, a significant inhibitory effect on anti-DNP IgE-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha production, leading the researchers to conclude that spirulina inhibits mast-cell mediated immediate-type allergic reactions both in vitro and in vivo.

Finally, a constituent of spirulina, administered intraperitoneally, significantly reduced the hepatotoxicity of a carbon tetrachloride challenge. A more recent study confirmed this finding.

CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS, ADVERSE REACTIONS.

CONTRAINDICATIONS

Spirulina is contraindicated in those who are hypersensitive to any component of a spirulina-containing supplement.

PRECAUTIONS

Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid spirulina-containing supplements.

Spirulina can accumulate heavy metals, such as mercury, from contaminated waters. Those who use spirulina supplements should select reputable products that are free of any heavy metal contamination.

ADVERSE REACTIONS

Occasional gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, have been reported. Also, there are a few reports of allergic reactions to spirulina-containing supplements.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

There are various forms of spirulina supplements, including capsules, tablets, flakes and powders. Spirulina is also found in some functional foods and in combination "green food" products with barley grass, chlorella and wheat grass. Doses range from 250 mg to 5 grams daily.

HOW SUPPLIED

Bar — 1000 mg
    Capsules — 350 mg, 380 mg, 400 mg, 429 mg, 500 mg
    Powder
    Tablets — 5250 mg, 00 mg, 750 mg

LITERATURE

Ayehunie S, Belay A, Baba TW, Ruprecht RM. Inhibition of HIV-1 replication by an aqueous extract of Spirulina platensis (Arthrospira platensis). J Acquir Immune Defic Synd Hum Retrovirol. 1998; 18:7-12.

Chamorro G, Salazar M, Favil L, Bourges H. [Pharmacology and toxicology of Spirulina alga.] [Article in Spanish.] Rev Invest Clin. 1996; 48:389-399.

Devi MA, Venkataraman LV. Hypocholesterolemic effect of blue-green algae Spirulina platensis in albino rats. Ann Nutr Reports Int. 1983; 28:519-530.

Hayashi T, Hayashi K. Calcium spirulan, an inhibitor of enveloped virus replication, from a blue-green alga Spirulina platensis. 1996; 59:83-87.

Hayashi K, Hayashi T, Morita N, Kajima I. An extract from Spirulina platensis is a selective inhibitor of herpes simplex virus type 1 penetration into HeLa cells. Phytotherapy Res. 1993; 7:76-80.

Johnson PE, Shubert LE. Accumulation of mercury and other elements by spirulina (cyanophyceae). Nutr Rep Intl. 1986; 34:1063-1071.

Kim HM, Lee EH, Cho HH, Moon YH. Inhibitory effect of mast cell-mediated immediate-type allergic reactions in rats by spirulina. Biochem Pharmacol. 1998; 55:1071-1076.

Lissi EA, Pizarro M, Aspee A, Romay C. Kinetics of phycocyanine bilin groups destruction by peroxyl radicals. Free Rad Biol Med. 2000; 28:1051-1055.

Miranda MS, Cintra RG, Barros SB, Mancini Filho J. Antioxidant activity of the microalga Spirulina maxima. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1998; 31:1075-1079.

Quereshi MA, Ali RA. Spirulina platensis exposure enhances macrophage phagocytic function in cats. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 1996; 18:457-463.

Quereshi MA, Garlich JD, Kidd MT. Dietary Spirulina platensis enhances humoral and cell-mediated functions in chickens. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 1996; 18:465-476.

Romay C, Armesto J, Ramirez D, et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of C-phycocyanin from blue-green algae. Inflamm Res. 1998; 47:36-41.

Torres-Durán PV, Miranda-Zamora R, Paredes-Carbajal MC, et al. Studies on the preventive effect of Spirulina maxima on fatty liver development induced by carbon tetrachloride. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999; 64:141-147.

Watanabe F, Katsura H, Takenaka S, et al. Pseudovitamin B12 is the predominant cobamide of an algal health food, spirulina tablets. J Agric Food Chem. 1999; 47:4736-4741.

Yang H-N, Lee E-H, Kim H-M. Spirulina platensis inhibits anaphylactic reaction. Life Sciences. 1997; 61:1237-1244.

Comment

Claim:

Spirulina contains the most remarkable concentration of functional nutrients ever known in any food, plant, grain or herb.

Comment

just to be anal, the first article got it wrong here;

pirulina is a blue-green algae. It is a simple, one-celled form of algae that thrives in warm, alkaline fresh-water bodies. The name "spirulina" is derived from the Latin word for "helix" or "spiral"; denoting the physical configuration of the organism when it forms swirling, microscopic strands.
        Blue-green algae is not an algae but a bacteria. The second article got it right though.

Comment

who here has used this or does use this
          i was thinkin about getting the pill form
          Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

also has some PEA in it.
            REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
            Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
            Purple Psyko
            Gold Feast
            Blue Gene
            Blue Growth
            REDuction AM/PM Shots
            REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
            Orange TRIad
            White Flood (5 Flavors)
            Black Hole
            Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
            Green Bulge
            White Blood 2
            Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
            Blue Up
            Blue Up (Stim-Free)
            GlycerGrow (Elements line)
            CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
            Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by adoniscomplex
              who here has used this or does use this
              i was thinkin about getting the pill form
              I use it whenever I'm on a extreme budget

I bought the powder from BAC and cap it myself

Comment

I took it

About 5 months ago, I started taking it and it made me feel sick. I took it for 3 weeks and it upset my stomach, made me feel awful. I stopped, felt better, then tried it again and I felt sick again, so I quit taking it. Just didn't work for me.

Comment

interesting...i might just have to pick some up when i go out

Comment

yea

on the topic of different superfoods, this interesting article came up on netscape. i gotta research it some more, but interesting none the less.

http://channels.netscape.com/homerea...ds&floc=HR-1_T

Comment

you got the link to the loc on BAC pu12? i was lookin but didnt see it...

i did come across this interestin gproduct tho..

Sex-ess

SEX-ESS contains extracts of Damiana, Licorice, & Dong Quai, with alpha GPCholine and Histidine. Created especially for women, users report it relaxes, enhances desire, and promotes quick, intense (and/or multiple) orgasms! Can be used by men too. Works best for those who take adequate vit B6, niacin, & C. 100 grams, $13.50. Code 802.5

sounds nifty...

Comment

Taking this product for some years now.
                        www.spirulina-mr.com

4 pills in the morning and I'm sorted.

Comment

ever use the powder from that ste? i could cap it myself to save cash, but just curious how it mixes/tastes...

Comment

I watched a show on super food. And they had me convinced but then it just turned out to be one of those ADs for a blender or something wierd. It was pretty neat though.

Jdub

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                              ever use the powder from that ste? i could cap it myself to save cash, but just curious how it mixes/tastes...
                              Powder tastes like crap.... mixing it with something else will probally spoil your beverage.

Look for the pills... powder is a no no unless you love to take CEE with a teaspoon unmixed

Comment

Working...
                              X