Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

I've decided to give it a real go. Here's the deal. I've hit a plateau in a number of muscle groups and wanted something to help break through that. With a lot of help from farmerson12 and some reading and thinking, I've decided on a hybrid based on the program seen here: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...dgainersq.html

As that article says, the program is designed for athletes, so leaves room for sport-specific training days and whatnot. I went on to read the WS4SB Part 2 and Part 3 articles as well, and added some things from the variations listed in those, based mostly on the facts that I don't get much physical activity in outside of the gym and that I would like some more specific arm/shoulder work (what the third article calls "vanity work").

Just to let everyone know, I'm going to do my best to focus on form while sort of re-starting myself for this program, so my numbers will probably be pretty low, especially in deadlift, since I haven't really done much of that. Also, this will be my first time really going after any maximal weight reps, so I'm not sure how courageous I'll be starting that.

I start this thing for real tomorrow, and we'll see how everything goes!
    We'll see how this goes...

I just thought about this...I like how I always start things like this on weekends, when I have a lot more time, and then wonder why it's tougher to keep up with it during the week.

Comment

Day 1 - Max Upper

So, my first max effort upper body day. One of my hesitations about this program was the fact that I don't train with a partner, so don't have a consistent spotter. Interestingly enough, a buddy of mine that usually trains a bit later than I do was in there at the same time, also starting a new program. He's doing some German volume training, so we helped each other out this morning.

Anyway, just a note - I'm adding a little bit of short cardio to the end of each workout, just because I really like the way it feels to burn out that way after lifting. Here's how things went:

Bench Press: 8x45; 6x135; 6x135; 5x185; 5x205; 5x215; 3x225 (needed some help at the end)
      I should have gone for 95 before 135, but just sorta went on autopilot - definitely needed a second set at that weight to feel comfortable moving on.
      Incline Dumbbell Press: 8x50; 8x60; 8x60; 8x65
      T-Bar Row: 12x90; 12x115; 12x135; 12x135
      Rear Delt Fly Machine: 15x85; 15x85; 15x85
      Preacher Curl: 10x65; 10x65; 10x65, 10x65
      Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

I think it was a fairly successful first day. The interesting thing is that even though I went full out on each exercise (I definitely could not have done any more than I did), I did not feel as exhausted after the full workout as I'm used to. Maybe that's because I wasn't using one single body part over and over the entire time. I guess it fits, though. One of the things in the article about the template was that the point of each workout is not to exhaust you or make you puke or whatever, but to help you work toward better total strength.

I'm excited to see how the rest of the week goes - a lot of new stuff going on. I'm also interested in seeing how my buddy likes his GVT. He said he never thought he'd need so much help benching 115, but that makes sense doing 10x10. Leg day should be interesting for both of us.

Until later,

Comment

I ended up getting some extra cardio today. I haven't been able to get to many krav maga sessions lately due to work hours, but I made it tonight - felt good.

Just a heads up: I probably will not post tomorrow, but will update on Wednesday and include tomorrow's work. I have to go into work early since I'm leaving early. I have a recording session tomorrow night. The horn ensemble I conduct is going to be featured on a local history program, so it's time to put in some studio hours.

Comment

Day 2 - Max Lower

This was actually yesterday...

Squat: 8x45; 6x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x275; 5x315; 3x365
          Bulgarian Split Squat (back leg elevated, holding dumbbells): 12x45; 12x45; 12x50; 12x50
          Lying Leg Curl: 8x120; 8x120; 8x130; 8x130
          Plate Pinch Grip: 3 timed sets to failure holding two 25 pound plates
          Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
          Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

So, my first thought is that I feel like it was really hamstring heavy compared with what I'm used to. Maybe I've just used really quad-heavy routines before. Either way, even a day later, I don't really feel much in my quads. I expected the Bulgarian split squats to hit them, but felt those more in my hams as well.

Regarding the grip training, I had a hard time with it because my gym has coated plates that are really thick, so putting two together is tough to handle for a smaller guy like me. I think I might venture into the "group training area" next time, which I've never actually entered. They use a set of standard dumbbells with different plates for BodyPump classes. Those plates might serve that purpose a little bit better.

Anway, if anyone has any suggestions on why the quads aren't feeling it, let me know.

I will say that though I wasn't extremely exhausted after Monday, man am I feeling my chest and back now. This is the best feeling soreness I've had in my pecs since I was really a new lifter.

Comment

Day 3 - Endurance

I can't help but include some endurance cardio during my training. I think it comes from years of being the fat kid at school who could never finish the mile run in gym class.

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
            Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
            Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
            Elliptical: 2.34 miles in 10 minutes
            Stationary Bike: 7.62 miles in 20 minutes

This setup really gets my legs from all angles. Regarding the ab work, these heavy sets along with body weight work on Sundays seems to be the best option for me.

Comment

I almost forgot, conducting last night through an over three hour recording session was great - an awesome experience. Also, a way to force my back, arms, and shoulders through some DOMS, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
                ll.
                Anway, if anyone has any suggestions on why the quads aren't feeling it, let me know.
                This can be somewhat expected and there is a reason for this(as stated by Joe Defranco, Zach Evan Esh, and other trainers and documents). This template is geared towards athletes and people who want to enhance their athletic abilities(while gaining strength and mass). In most sports, hamstrings(along with the whole posterior chain) are activated alot more than the quadriceps. For example: a lineman pushing pass an opponent. Even as a firefighter, I have had great experience directing more effort towards my hams, glutes, and lower back. Unlike other squats, bulgarian squats have a tendency to hit more of your glutes and hams than quads. However, you should still be feeling more in your quads. Especially with barbell squats. If you arent participating in any type of sport or similar activity, you can substitute another excercise for you 2nd or 3rd excercise.
                "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
                CFD

Comment

That makes complete sense. And yes, I did feel more in my quads through the day today, though it wasn't too bad. I wanted to try the Bulgarian squats since I've never really done them seriously. I'm thinking about what would make a good unilateral sub for them that might focus a little more on quads for the future.

Comment

I should also say that while I don't do a whole lot of physical activity other than training, I have been getting as involved in krav maga as possible. The problem with that right now is that things at work are pretty crazy, so I never know when I'm actually going to make it to a class.

Comment

That makes complete sense. And yes, I did feel more in my quads through the day today, though it wasn't too bad. I wanted to try the Bulgarian squats since I've never really done them seriously. I'm thinking about what would make a good unilateral sub for them that might focus a little more on quads for the future.
                      One good unilateral movement that will hit your quads well is barbell step ups(on a bench or box). Great excercise. Most lunges will as well. You also got me thinking so I decided to experiment and found a great one. Front squat bulgarian squats! Just set up like a normal bulgarian squat(with the barbell over your back) and perform like normal.
                      CFD

Comment

Day 4 - Rep Upper

Incline Bench Press: 35x95; 24x95; 21x95
                        EZ Bar Pushdown: 8x70; 8x70; 8x85; 8x85
                        Lat Pull: 10x150; 10x150; 10x160; 10x165
                        Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 12x45; 12x45; 12x45
                        EZ Bar Curl: 10x55; 10x55; 10x55; 10x65
                        Dumbbell Shrug: 12x90; 12x90; 12x90
                        Elliptical: 2.42 miles in 10 minutes

Shoulder presses sure are tough after all those presses at the beginning. I hope I didn't hurt myself. Don't worry, not totally my fault. During my last rep of shoulder presses, someone was walking behind the bench I was using without paying attention and kicked the base. I was pushing really hard for that last rep and that caused me to lose control of the weight. Right arm fell backwards. Right now it feels like the shoulder and pec are a little tweaked. Hopefully that works itself out. At least he apologized, I guess, but owww.

Regarding the legs thing, I might play around with some variations on some things.

Comment

I'm also considering the fact that I have still felt that my quads were worked. I have always been pleased with my quads progress and a little unsatisfied with hams. Maybe wanting more on the quads is just looking for some instant gratification, since they seem to grow more quickly for me. I may stick with a little bit more hamstring-oriented setup, as it can't be a bad thing for them to catch up. I guess I'll play it by ear as I go along.

Comment

Day 5 - Endurance

Elliptical: 2.40 miles in 10 minutes

I guess I'm pretty consistent with my cardio output for the time being.

Shoulder update - it got to feeling really rough last night, but after some sleep, it has loosened up a little bit. That doesn't mean it's good, unfortunately. Hopefully, it will keep recovering through today. I really don't want this to set anything back too much, but if I need to, I'll definitely take it easy to let it get better.

Comment

Elliptical: 2.40 miles in 10 minutes

I guess I'm pretty consistent with my cardio output for the time being.

Shoulder update - it got to feeling really rough last night, but after some sleep, it has loosened up a little bit. That doesn't mean it's good, unfortunately. Hopefully, it will keep recovering through today. I really don't want this to set anything back too much, but if I need to, I'll definitely take it easy to let it get better.
                              Make sure you work and warm up your rotator cuff well before and after workouts. Youll be thankful for it later. A great excercise before is shoulder dislocations(with either broomstick or band). Im sure youll also see improvement in your bench as well. Keep it up!
                              CFD

Comment

Working...
                              X