Looking for a little bit of a change - any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a little bit of a change - any help appreciated

Hey guys - I posted this at BB.com as well, but they get so many posts in the workout programs forum that it's totally off the radar already and I haven't gotten any responses, so I figured I would post it here and see if some of you awesome CL people would help out. Here is my original post for help:

Hey guys - I am currently doing a four-day split as far as lifting is concerned. I have had some great results with it. I have been very happy with my progress with legs, back, and shoulders. Arms have been okay. Chest has FELT really good, but I have hit a bit of a plateau and haven't SEEN as much growth or change there. Any ideas anybody could give me would be great.

Oh, another note - I have some serious wrist issues that are not strength-related, but are from prior problems with tendonitis, so I can't do some things that I would like to without upsetting the joint. This includes standard barbell curls and most exercises requiring a straight grip - underhanded or overhanded.

Here's what my current routine looks like:

Monday

Squat
    Hack squat
    Single leg extension
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Lying leg curl

Wednesday

Incline barbell bench press
    Machine chest fly
    Flat dumbbell bench press
    Straight arm EZ bar pullover
    EZ bar curl
    Rope cable curl

Thursday

Bent over EZ bar row
    Underhand t-bar row
    Low seated cable row
    Lat pull
    Hyperetension
    Seated calf press

Saturday

Standing military press
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell shrug
    Machine rear delt fly
    Two-arm front dumbbell raise
    Rope tricep pulldown
    Standing dumbbell overhead tricep extension
    Standing calf press

Let me know what you think - I don't guarantee I will take every suggestion, but I appreciate them all!
    We'll see how this goes...

whats your goals?
    "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
    CFD

Comment

For the most part, I'm looking to build muscle - strength and mass. I know questions about diet will follow me saying that, so I'll let you know that I'm working on that and getting it set up alright. I guess the easiest way to explain my full goal is just to do it. I lost a lot of weight, roughly 120 lbs, a little while ago. Now I'm building strength and muscle, and my biggest priorities are how I feel and how I look, so I want to keep body fat down as much as possible and put on more quality muscle. I have found that as I gain muscle mass, the left over loose skin is getting filled in a little bit, just with good mass instead of fat. I would like to keep that going. I don't have plans to compete or anything like that, so there are no time constraints or whatever. I just do it for me.

Comment

Oh, and please feel free to make suggestions apart from arms and chest as well - I'm always open to considering new ideas.

Comment

I suggest checkin this out:
          http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...dgainersq.html

Its a good template to use for both strength and mass. Ill tell you that you will gain strength faster with it than just a regular bodybuilding program. Plus WS4SB brings in both GPP and training of the posterior chain(back, hips, hams, calves) in to play which both will help you be in better athletic condition. It helped me gain solid mass and start powerlifting when I started in a couple of yrs ago. But most of all, do what you love. Good luck bro
          CFD

Comment

Thanks, man.

I looked over the article and it looks really interesting. Unfortunately, I've tried routines that are closer to this and powerlifting routines before, and have trouble sticking to them and getting the results I should...basically because of the fact that I train alone. It's tough to find a consistent workout partner at 5am, lol, and without a trusted person there consistently, I have trouble getting myself to go really heavy or max out. Squatting and benching without a spotter is no time to push for full-out maxes, at least not in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
              Thanks, man.

I looked over the article and it looks really interesting. Unfortunately, I've tried routines that are closer to this and powerlifting routines before, and have trouble sticking to them and getting the results I should...basically because of the fact that I train alone. It's tough to find a consistent workout partner at 5am, lol, and without a trusted person there consistently, I have trouble getting myself to go really heavy or max out. Squatting and benching without a spotter is no time to push for full-out maxes, at least not in my head.
              Funny that you mention that bc I never had a long term partner. And like you, that always kept me from getting into much heavy lifting. But I finally told myself I wasnt going to let that get in the way of my training. One thing I loved about this template(I dont like calling it a program since there are so many variables) is that you train heavy but you dont use your total max. At top, I use 85-90%. 3-5reps at max. At first even that wasnt light enough for me to try but I did and its very doable. Hardly ever do I need a spotter. On squats, I set the safety bars to parallel for protection. On bench, Ill do them in a power rack and use safety bars or if all else fails, Ill just ask a guy for a quick spot. Dont let that keep you from trying heavier weights. As far as not getting results, Im can see that. most powerlifting templates/programs do not focus on as much muscle mass/ size as many want. Their goal is total strength. Even though this program is a modified WSB, its different. You never perform singles(only when testing) and there is more assistance and supplemental excercise for building SIZE and strength. I can promise you that if you had a proper diet and tried this template, you will get the results you want and then some(like increase in speed, poewr, agility, etc.)
              CFD

Comment

I went ahead and read the second and third WS4SB articles and put together a hybrid of the first routine, the "off-season" routine, and the "washed up meathead" routine. I'm excited to try it. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I can even get off my tail and log it (decently, and with some actual consistency), but that's not a promise.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
                  I went ahead and read the second and third WS4SB articles and put together a hybrid of the first routine, the "off-season" routine, and the "washed up meathead" routine. I'm excited to try it. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I can even get off my tail and log it (decently, and with some actual consistency), but that's not a promise.
                  Good to hear man. Ya try to log. It helps. Hope to hear more about it. Good luck bro
                  CFD

Comment

I'll try. I'm not too great at keeping up with things like that, so who knows. Just so you know, since I don't get a whole lot of physical activity outside of what I do in the gym, I added a fourth day, and included deadlifts in there, as well as some extra arms, calves, and shoulders. I think I'm going to let this change also reset my technique, and really focus on form. I try to do that anyway, but I know we all get off track from time to time. I figure a big change like this is as good a time as any to take some weight off and really dial in that area. You've been a big help!

Comment

Sounds good bro. Keep it up. anytime
                      CFD

Comment

How are things goin ?

Comment

Everything's going pretty well. I've got a log running now in the logs section.

Comment

Working...
                          X