Hypnosis and positive thinking... post your experiences here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypnosis and positive thinking... post your experiences here

Basically my doctor tells me that I need to "reduce stress" and I just laugh. But with the links between stress and cortisol, and my own reading and research on the conscious vs. subconscious mind, I've been considering hypnosis or self-hypnosis as a possible way to reduce stress.... please discuss your experiences or theories.

I've seen lots of people close to me go to hypnosis to resolve issues (stress/smoking/etc.) ... they'll be ok for maybe a month or two, then it's back downhill ... i don't think hypnosis is the best way to go about solving those types of issues ... whatever you do, good luck ... and let me know if anything works out for you ... they don't call me "strester" for nothing
    jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
      Basically my doctor tells me that I need to "reduce stress" and I just laugh. But with the links between stress and cortisol, and my own reading and research on the conscious vs. subconscious mind, I've been considering hypnosis or self-hypnosis as a possible way to reduce stress.... please discuss your experiences or theories.
      you could reduce stress by having afternoon tea with joel and deserusan everyday or maybe a nice brunch with a slice of cantalope.
      REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
      Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
      Purple Psyko
      Gold Feast
      Blue Gene
      Blue Growth
      REDuction AM/PM Shots
      REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
      Orange TRIad
      White Flood (5 Flavors)
      Black Hole
      Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
      Green Bulge
      White Blood 2
      Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
      Blue Up
      Blue Up (Stim-Free)
      GlycerGrow (Elements line)
      CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
      Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
        you could reduce stress by having afternoon tea with joel and deserusan everyday or maybe a nice brunch with a slice of cantalope.
        and maybe some opera music and a few med student's

Comment

my wife and a certain fellow from ohio?
          REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
          Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
          Purple Psyko
          Gold Feast
          Blue Gene
          Blue Growth
          REDuction AM/PM Shots
          REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
          Orange TRIad
          White Flood (5 Flavors)
          Black Hole
          Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
          Green Bulge
          White Blood 2
          Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
          Blue Up
          Blue Up (Stim-Free)
          GlycerGrow (Elements line)
          CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
          Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

I have no experience with hypnosis or anything similiar, but with my background in psychology I would wager to guess something like that may work for the very short term (ie: immediately afterward you will feel less stress/no stress but once the activors return the stress will return)...

in fact, i believe we may have discussed hypnosis very vaguely in one class, and proved it to be practically pointless.. but i cant gurantee... i remember vaguely alot of things from class at this point,even fewer i remember completely

to my knowledge, you would be better off doing a something else. here are some suggestions I would have:

1 - dedicate 10-15 minutes a day to quiet time; if you want, you could even try to mediatate and use aroma therapy from scented candles. just chill, clear your head, try to think of nothing except relaxing. they say focusing on your breathing helps, long deep breaths? i think

2- when you feel stress kicking it, slow everything down a bit, take some deep breaths and just focus on relaxing

3- occasionaly enjoy the marijuana smoke (honestly, it has it great anti-stress results that last even long after the initial high wheres off) this is my personal fav way of relieveing stress/tension/just straight up relaxing -- hell if you wanna laugh, throw in a good comedy and sit back...maybe get a big ol container of nuts and some xtend/protein shake for the munchies, as well as additional water... should curb the tendancy to eat pizza and wings.

4- exercise is a great way to reduce stress -- perhaps you should get a punching bag to take out your tension on. - if you do , dont use people as a punching bag if it is not around.

if i get motivated/bored enough, ill dig out some of my psych books and look for stress information

happiness/laughter is the best medicine.. i can vouch for that from an experience with my aunt handling cancer. you can make a heaven of hell or hell of heaven, its all in your mental outlook; and if your laughing and enjoying the moment, your more likely to make a heaven out of hell (good out of bad).

surrond yourself with positive, avoid the negative (but acknowledge its existance) there is no reason to live with an overwhelming feeling of stress and anxiety from anything..
            to be blunt...In the end, were all gonna die and lose everything we've ever worked to get, so make the best of everything, and enjoy it while your here..

'every second you spend angry, frowning, depressed, is one second of happiness and enjoyment of your life you can never get back.'

Comment

HEY! what's wrong w/ med students, we are not all bad
              Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                HEY! what's wrong w/ med students, we are not all bad
                You already rank way above my doc in my book.... although... he likes to prescribe shiat for me...WEEEEEeee what should we try today !!!

Comment

You already rank way above my doc in my book.... although... he likes to prescribe shiat for me...WEEEEEeee what should we try today !!!
                  LOL thanks
                  Yeah, drugs are the answer to everything . . . totally unrelated to the kick backs from the pharm companies based on prescribing history (just in case someone was unsure there are no kick backs to docs based on prescribing I was kidding) . . . if you've got a problem or even if you don't the pharm companies will be there with the drug that can help . . . but only on a chronic basis b/c if they cure you they lose their source of income.

OK back to topic

Reducing stress is definitely a good idea for overall health and longevity.
                  My thoughts on hypnosis . . .
                  It works really well for some people . . . and for others it does not work at all. It depends largely on how open to the power of suggestion one is. However, refreshers are often needed even when it does work.

That being said IMO it does not address the issues that are stressing you. I'll go on a little tangent here and then get back to my point Which relates to prescribing meds for depression. I will agree that some individuals have neurotransmitter imbalances that can trigger depression and meds can be very helpful. However, they often times have behaviors and thought processes that make things worse. That's why I support considering something like cognitive behavior therapy in addition to meds. CBT looks at the behaviors and thoughts processes that cause the depression and looks for ways to work with them more effectively. Obviously, I'm not saying you're depressed but the theory still applies to stress. You can even do it on your own and try to determine what stresses you, why it does, does it really matter, how can you change it so that it doesn't etc.
                  Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Working...
                  X