A must read!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jzepp View Post
    Everybody has a different opinion on what works best for size and strength.

science > opinions

it is also critical to understand the difference between size, strength, and power. though all are complexly interrelated, all are uniquely individual skill sets.

Cross sectional area (size) relates directly to strength potential, and strength potential relates directly to the possible rate of force development (power).. in my opinion failing to train any one biomotor ability decreaes ones ability to maximize the true physical potential even if they desire to focus primarily on enhancing one ability more than others.

Though I am young in my training and readings, I believe the russian conjugate sequence system to be far superior to any other form of periodization/program design. This is the basis of westside barbells training and many elite athletic programs. It also incorporates multilateral training into the weekly design through the incorporation of dynamic, maximal, and reptition effort sessions.

A large downfall in the average persons training is thatr there is simply no periodization or logical approach to monitoring fatigue and ensureing the theory of progressive overload is adhered too. most people walk into the gym, throw there ipod on, and wing it, primarily using the bench press, shrug, and bicep curl as a gauge of fitness. this is what I call douchebag training.
    Last edited by jiritt0; 04-09-2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

LOL @ douchebag training. I like that. VERY well said JD!

Comment

WOW my mind now = blown.... I too fall in the training muscle once per week category. Thank you for putting that up.
        http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/RRBolo/

Comment

Can someone explain in more detail the reasoning behind #8? I have always and still to this day do a pyramid scheme for all exercises for each bodypart in my workout. I usually do an 8, 6, 4, 2 or 10, 8, 6, 4 rep range depending on the exercise and increasing the weight each set. After reading this article i am thinking of switching to a 6-8 rep scheme for chest, back, shoulders and an 8-10 rep scheme for biceps, triceps, legs, hamstrings and keeping the weight the same for all sets. Then after a 6 weeks or so switching to a 4-6 rep scheme for chest, back, shoulders and a 6-8 rep scheme for biceps, triceps, legs, hamstrings. Will this deliver better results than the pyramid scheme that i have been using and why?

Comment

Old(ish) thread, but deserves a bump, thanks for putting it up.

It is things I've come across in various places put this puts it together rather nicely. Will be linking many-a-lifter here. Also strikes me as really quite similar to Kane's workout principles, with a few modifications.
            Brute force without wisdom falls by its own weight.
            Horace, Odes, iv, 65

Comment

Originally posted by JackM View Post
              Old(ish) thread, but deserves a bump, thanks for putting it up.

It is things I've come across in various places put this puts it together rather nicely. Will be linking many-a-lifter here. Also strikes me as really quite similar to Kane's workout principles, with a few modifications.
              Should be the basis of anyone's training but unfortunately its not. The average weight lifter(and I mean about 95% of that population) is quite misdirected in anatomy, science, and philosphy of weight training; whether its bodybuilding, powerlifting, sports specific, or general. Hell Ive learned so much about training since my last post in this thread than I have all of my life. Hopefully others will follow these or similar guidelines.
              "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
              CFD

Comment

Excellent read. Thanks.

Comment

Excellent read. This helped me put together a long overdue revamp of my work out routine
                  Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Working...
                  X