Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with a Knee injury that is years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a Knee injury that is years old.

I was hit by a car when I was younger and I kind of wonder if that is where this comes knee issue comes from. My left knee is always aching and It really never seems to get much worse but starting back again I feel like I can't put much pressure on it yet. I have had somewhat strong legs in the past squating 275 for 5 reps which for my 5'4" height and 150lb weight at the time seemed good. My question is can I stretch or warm up my knee in any way that might help with the aggravation starting to work out again is causing? Ive been out of the gym for almost 2 years now.

1: do you lift with correct mechanics?

2: what is your strength ratio in terms of quadriceps:hamstrings? If there is a large difference, the muscular imbalance will cause issues in relation to the pull on your knee joint (this applies to every joint; most often we see SERIOUS shoudler issues due to imbalances between the chest and back)

3: how much do you run? and on what surfaces?

4: do you consistenyl wear fresh shoes with little to no elevation in the sole?

5: you have to warm up with dynamic stretches pre workout -- this is basically taking any static stretch, holding it for 2-3 seconds, and repeated 10-15 -- in addition to movements raising core temperature (jump rope, jumping jacks, burpees, etc)

6: you shoudl also spend 10-15minutes post workout static stretching to cool down; holding same stretches as preworkout for 30-60seconds, 1-3 reps

7: DO TKE's, daily, all the time, youtube buddy morris TKE (i think) for video demo

8: active recovery outside of training sessions is ideal

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
      1: do you lift with correct mechanics?

2: what is your strength ratio in terms of quadriceps:hamstrings? If there is a large difference, the muscular imbalance will cause issues in relation to the pull on your knee joint (this applies to every joint; most often we see SERIOUS shoudler issues due to imbalances between the chest and back)

3: how much do you run? and on what surfaces?

4: do you consistenyl wear fresh shoes with little to no elevation in the sole?

5: you have to warm up with dynamic stretches pre workout -- this is basically taking any static stretch, holding it for 2-3 seconds, and repeated 10-15 -- in addition to movements raising core temperature (jump rope, jumping jacks, burpees, etc)

6: you shoudl also spend 10-15minutes post workout static stretching to cool down; holding same stretches as preworkout for 30-60seconds, 1-3 reps

7: DO TKE's, daily, all the time, youtube buddy morris TKE (i think) for video demo

8: active recovery outside of training sessions is ideal

Thanks for the above. I don't stretch as much as I should but also not sure how to stretch the knee joint. My legs have always been a problem. I run on treadmill that has a decent "shock" systems which is much easier on my knee then running on pavement. Will look into the TKE's also. Thx again for the reply.

Comment

you don't stretch the joint, you stretch the muscles surronding and connected to the joint to develop greater mobility/flexibility at said joint

lifting will strengthen the same muscles creating better stability at the joint as well (and further enhance flexbility if an ideal range o fmotion is used)

youtube videos on stretching the quads, hamstrings, and calves -- they're all very easy and basic to do. running in itself is horrible on your joints, especially if it is a distance/duration run.

TKE's are hands down the best at reducing/preventing knee pain IMO.. I started doing em a few months back, and can no do max effort squats/deads with no knee pain the next day (assuming proper warm up/cool down as mentioned previously) -- in the past my knees would be destroyed after any form of heavy leg workout, so much so I basically abadoned ME lower body all together

of course, if you have a serious tendon/liagment/muscule issue there could be nothing short of surgery that would significantly help -- if the pain is that strong and consistent, see a doctor.

Comment

I am 3 workouts into using TKE's.... I have to say my knee has been feeling better with less pain during the day. I am looking into some new shoes as well. Thx again Jdirrito!

Comment

Thank buddy morris (for being a genius), dave tate (for being injury prone), and jim wendler (for being dave tates home boy)

Comment

Never heard of TKE. Going to check that out.
              CONTROLLED LABS
              Email: dracoy [@] controlledlabs.com
              Forum: controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer: The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

terminal knee extensions -- possibly the most important movements noone does (right up with shoulder dislocations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNilld58tks&feature=fvw)

activates the vastus obliquus medialis (VOM - quadricep) to develop healthy knee articulations -- it's best when utilized in high rep ranges (25+) through it's progressions and as part of a warmup for squats/deads

It's theorized to help re-align the patella tendon in the knee capsule (not sure it has been proven though)

Comment

I saw defranco video clip that showed a couple ways to do these. I personally like the band. Mine has become all to easy so I will picking up another band soon. I have shoulder problems sometimes also.. I will look into the shoulder dislocations.... sounds painful
                  Last edited by LilBG; 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

the buddy morris interview series by elite fts is 9 segments long, they show all the progressions for it from start to finish.

the goal of TKE's isn't too be difficult.. it's not a strength/power movement (or anything similiar) - it's primary focus is PREhabailitation of the knees.. preventing injuries before they occur

I'm in the process of reading every blog post defrancos made.. i've got from 2005-2008 left... needed a break from textbook style reads

Anything by DeFranco or elitefts is worth its weight in gold. go to elitefts.com and subscribe to the newsletter - a lot of great minds writing great articles.. it'll make you strong(er)

and if there is one piece of equipment you should save for, it's the PROWLER.. (just barely beats out a glute-ham bench i say)
                    Last edited by jiritt0; 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I have no idea whre i could use that prowler if i had one.. looks sick though!

Comment

the buddy morris interview series by elite fts is 9 segments long, they show all the progressions for it from start to finish.

the goal of TKE's isn't too be difficult.. it's not a strength/power movement (or anything similiar) - it's primary focus is PREhabailitation of the knees.. preventing injuries before they occur

I'm in the process of reading every blog post defrancos made.. i've got from 2005-2008 left... needed a break from textbook style reads

Anything by DeFranco or elitefts is worth its weight in gold. go to elitefts.com and subscribe to the newsletter - a lot of great minds writing great articles.. it'll make you strong(er)

and if there is one piece of equipment you should save for, it's the PROWLER.. (just barely beats out a glute-ham bench i say)
                        When I met PT in Vegas, finally got to use one at the GOLD's we were working out at.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/no_prowler.htm
                        kane@controlledlabs.com
                        Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                        Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                        www.controlledlabs.com
                        www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf View Post
                          When I met PT in Vegas, finally got to use one at the GOLD's we were working out at.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/no_prowler.htm
                          We had one of those when I played some college football. They are a beast. Very good piece of equipment. Only have seen one in my life. Gyms hardly ever carry equips like that
                          "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
                          CFD

Comment

I have a glute ham bench in my basement got it for free too..

glute ham benches should be the only stationary equipment based movements you consistently utilize in training -- everything else is a waste of time

IMO nothing can replace a prowler... you can mimick it all you want (sleds, plate pushes on the mats/turf), but nothing can come close to the same thing (and I've never used/seen one in real life -- this is all based on what I've read/understand from science)

I literally can not wait to start working 40,50,60 hours a week training people/athletes...all i need is the opportunity to implement a program how I want too and run with my skill sets with a grop of blue collar people that value hard work and know all work has value..

Comment

I have a glute ham bench in my basement got it for free too..

glute ham benches should be the only stationary equipment based movements you consistently utilize in training -- everything else is a waste of time

IMO nothing can replace a prowler... you can mimick it all you want (sleds, plate pushes on the mats/turf), but nothing can come close to the same thing (and I've never used/seen one in real life -- this is all based on what I've read/understand from science)

I literally can not wait to start working 40,50,60 hours a week training people/athletes...all i need is the opportunity to implement a program how I want too and run with my skill sets with a grop of blue collar people that value hard work and know all work has value..
                              While I have alot of respect for your knowledge, you lost me here.
                              kane@controlledlabs.com
                              Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                              Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                              www.controlledlabs.com
                              www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X