Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over training?

Just curious, but have to ask...

I workout on average about 4-5 times a week, some more some less, but usually that much. Generally I will hit all upper muscle groups one day, then next would be all lower groups the next. I've been uping my weight almost weekly since I began lifting again (about 8 year layoff, sad) and some days I go in, I'm still sore from 2 days prior work out (ie. upper is still sore on day 3). I'm just so pumped to hit the gym I work through it.

Most times my workouts last anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 hours and I get about 2-4 exercises per muscle group lifting heavy weight low reps, and then drop sets if I feel I'm almost worn out on that particular exercise.

Right now I'm taking BSN NO-Xplode pre-workout and it works well IMO, and LIPO-6 after finishing with ON Whey as my shake. Going to start on PW, WB, and maybe BU or GB soon. Lay it on me...

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Originally posted by Spartan
    Just curious, but have to ask...

I workout on average about 4-5 times a week, some more some less, but usually that much. Generally I will hit all upper muscle groups one day, then next would be all lower groups the next. I've been uping my weight almost weekly since I began lifting again (about 8 year layoff, sad) and some days I go in, I'm still sore from 2 days prior work out (ie. upper is still sore on day 3). I'm just so pumped to hit the gym I work through it.

Most times my workouts last anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 hours and I get about 2-4 exercises per muscle group lifting heavy weight low reps, and then drop sets if I feel I'm almost worn out on that particular exercise.

Right now I'm taking BSN NO-Xplode pre-workout and it works well IMO, and LIPO-6 after finishing with ON Whey as my shake. Going to start on PW, WB, and maybe BU or GB soon. Lay it on me...

2 and a half hours in the gym..

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
      2 and a half hours in the gym..
      Only way I can fit in all the things I want on occassion. 2.5 hours is usually like once a month if I'm lucky. But like today I was there for about 1.75 - 2 hours with my cardio, weights, then cardio cooldown before I left. Some times on cardio I don't pay attention to my time and it just jumps up on me, but never when running unfortunately...
      Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

so you're doing cardio pre- and post-lifting ... so how long are you actually lifting? ... what are your goals with that kind of workout? 1.75-2.5hrs seems excessive to me, but that also depends on the amount of time you're spending on cardio (see first question) ... as long as your body can take it and you feel like you're recovering enough, then go for it

I used to work back-to-back days like you, then I dropped glutamine from my supplementation and noticed that my body couldn't take the intensity of my max effort days so close together ... now I workout every other day with medium intesity cardio in between

so, if you're asking if you are overtraining, then I think the answer is "it depends... listen to your body"
        jdouchebag for president

Comment

I do about 10-15 minutes of running on the tread at 7.0 (good speed run) and then hit the weights. After all my weights are done, I usually go for anywhere from 5 minutes to like 15 minutes on the tread at 3.0 (mild walk) to just cool down a bit before the drive home. I think it takes long because I am working on building power right now and take about 1.5 - 2 minutes to let my muscles recover a bit then hit it again. Also because I try to hit all my upper body (minus abs) one day and all lower the next and I listen to my body for a day off. Actually I should start taking glutamine but haven't added it in yet.
          Most of my exercises are running 6x6 right now, and on bench and db press I do drop sets after my last regular set. The Xplode just gives me so much energy I dont feel tired from that. Hoping my CL stack does the same.

Also, currently I am 5'9 198lbs and at last tab, about 3-4 weeks ago was 22.2% body fat. So, I'm trying to drop fat, build strength and then when there is a decent medium there, I may start bulking abit, but that's not really my main concern yet.
          Last edited by Spartan; 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM.

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

The warmup sounds good... and if the cooldown works for you too... good for you. Trial and error in my opinion, but the Purple WRAATH was the perfect addition in that scenario.

Comment

The cooldown I think is more of a mental thing than really needing it but hey, no harm no foul. Yeah, I'm looking hard at the PW/GM combo of bb.com and thinking about adding 2 of 3 of BU, WB, and/or RA2. Depends on the $$$. Atleast PW and GM will last me like 2-3 months and then I can add the others later. Plus, I still have 1/2 a tub of NO Xplode to finish. Any problems using that and the PW/GM? The Xplode I take anywhere from 5-30 minutes pre and it kicks in right away, but wasn't sure if I could mix it in with CL products or if there would be conflicts??? WB will eventually replace the Xplode however.

Current Supps:
              Purple Wraath
              Green Magnitude
              Orange Triad
              White Flood
              Blue Up
              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Working...