Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to gain weight with no Carbohydrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to gain weight with no Carbohydrates?

Is it possible? I have read the C.H.A. Diet by scivation and they list a plan to gain weight. All you need to do is increase the calories on a High protien/High Fat/low carb. The increase in calories would come from the fats. Limit carbs as much as possible excluding the ones that you obtain through the peanuts or peanut butter. Just wondering if anybody had used a diet similar to this.
    sigpic

Originally posted by NocturnalReign View Post
    Is it possible? I have read the C.H.A. Diet by scivation and they list a plan to gain weight. All you need to do is increase the calories on a High protien/High Fat/low carb. The increase in calories would come from the fats. Limit carbs as much as possible excluding the ones that you obtain through the peanuts or peanut butter. Just wondering if anybody had used a diet similar to this.
    Im sure JDritto will chime in and give you better info but from what i have read, experienced, and seen, that doesnt seem effective. Alot pro bodybuilders do a cutting diet call ketosis which you cut out your carbs totally and eat mod to high fats and high protein. Its supposed to be fantastic. But for a weight/mass gaining diet? Doesnt fit the well imo. Complex carbs have been a staple in mass programs since...like the beginning of bodybuilding. Hope I could help bro!
    "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
    CFD

Comment

in refernce to the title; no carbohydrates = death.. your brain and organs need carbohydrates to function... thats why the low carb diets cause a boat load of physical/mental side effects and typically can not be sustained for extended periods of time ... theres alot of negative publications against atkins for the reason (and some speculate its what lead to his death) though the atkins diet clearly does work for weight loss since you have no carbs to use for energy the body is forced to burn fat/lipids, protein/amino acids, or muscle (eck!)

If your goal is freaky bodybuilder big with disguisting bodybuilder leaness, than a carb cycling/ketosis-esque diet may be what you strive for.

yet I believe some famous bodybuilder is quoted as saying "when we go out on stage we are more closer to death than anything" or omething like that... I would agree and have to throw in another refernce that I will keep to myself for fear of enraging alot of people in that bodybuilding crowd...

Personally, I've done that low/no carb thing, and didn't have much fun limiting intake so much and dealing with the sides (headaches, moodiness, alot of soreness, etc). never did carb cycling, though I used to want try.. it's something I may read up alot more on in the future and debate again when my career/life is less hectic/more scheduled

IMO the carbs from fruits, veggies, whole grains are irreplacable, especially if you are training for performance and health

eat clean, eat healthy, and eat bigger 2 get bigger

I feel a diet revolving around protein based meals (lean sources), including healthy fats and low glycemic carbohydrates is ideal.. but I also don't believe you will ever find someone that got fat eating blueberries...cherries...etc.

alot of these companies and individuals provide information on nutrition that is based of professional bodybuilders lifestyles, and in reality, how many people reading them will ever become close to a professional bodybuilder?

if you cant tell, I am no fan of following any form of preset diet or training program -- that crap is for the lazy and weak. if you want optimal results, do some research and reading from quality sources, and build your own nutrition schedule and training programs to build upon your strengths while addressing and seeking to enhance any weaknesses. This is typically easier in training, where weaknesses are easy to spot and modify through appropriate exercises -- yet in nutrition, say you have a sweet tooth for chocolate, than a great thing for you to look into is healthy ways to incorporate chocolate into your diet -- say, dark chocoloate fundo strawberries with the bedroom friend or homemade chocolate protein bar receipes... and similiar approaches where you get the chocolate kick but in healthy manners (not a box of snicker bars)

I feel real bad for people that spend time analyzing their diets to great detail so that they can hit certain ratios -- that must suck. But I can see the benefit, and I must say, if I were oprah rich, I would pay one of these people to follow me around/eat with me, and do all that boring/tedious/not fun at all work for me.. but until I'm oprah rich, I'm gonna focus on living life and eating healthy without OCD
      Last edited by jiritt0; 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

no carbs = death ..

you're serious JD ??

Last edited by mistaLovr3xl; 12-13-2009, 08:12 AM.

Comment

If you don't eat carbs your brain will stop functioning and you will die eventually. Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy for the body, without carb intake your body is forced to draw energy from fats and proteins which it can not do for extended periods of time

get a book on nutrtion by someone that knows what they're writing and read up -- not a book published by anyone with ties to a supplement company but by someone thats dedicated their life to studying nutrition, preferbly sports nutrition. I have a long way to go on nutrition, and hope to learn more in the future, but I udnerstand a basic jist of it due to my extensive readings --- sadly, my intro to nutrition began with bodybuilding.com forums which created a pretty poor picture of what healthy eating habits are.

Comment

For weight gain you must do bodybuilding. You will have to perform different types of strength exercises in the gym like squats, bench press, military press, lunges, dumbbell flyes, dips and pumps, etc. you want to get lean muscle mass not fat. Also do some sort Aerobics exercise.

Comment

Working...
            X