No announcement yet.

Why is brown rice so annoying to cook?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is brown rice so annoying to cook?!

Trying to cook it in the rice cooker ends up in complete phale, over stove top it's easier but just too many steps. Cook it then rinse it, so it doesn't end up like a blob of rice, but then i have to microwave it, since rinsing it made it cold. Something tells me i am making this way too complex or maybe i'm just a rah-tard. Anyways here's a picture of lunch

Why do you rinse your rice after you cook it? I cook it on the stove top, you just have to cook it a little longer then you would white rice. Put in extra water helps.
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

it looks like the rice will remain sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by rf0t0 View Post
        Trying to cook it in the rice cooker ends up in complete phale, over stove top it's easier but just too many steps. Cook it then rinse it, so it doesn't end up like a blob of rice, but then i have to microwave it, since rinsing it made it cold. Something tells me i am making this way too complex or maybe i'm just a rah-tard. Anyways here's a picture of lunch

That looks damn good. I know that much.

Comment

My rice cooker is fantastic. The only problem is brown rice takes like 45 minutes to cook so I have to plan way ahead.
          diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Cooking good food requires time... thats why when you go out to eat, you have a waiter person -- it's no fun waiting alone.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
              Cooking good food requires time... thats why when you go out to eat, you have a waiter person -- it's no fun waiting alone.
              Very true. Looking forward to January when I get married because cooking for 2 will seem a lot more worthwhile than spending an hour to cook for 1 person.
              diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Originally posted by poopies View Post
                Very true. Looking forward to January when I get married because cooking for 2 will seem a lot more worthwhile than spending an hour to cook for 1 person.
                This. But, you can always cook for yourself x5 and have leftovers/ingredients for the week.

Brown rice, chicken breast, ground turkey -- all of that is good for the week once cooked up. It's as easy to cook the larger portion as it is the single-serving size. Then, if you want to mix it up a bit during the week, that chicken breast goes great on the rice or on a bed of romaine lettuce, or slice or dice it, toss it with some jalapenos and onions, and have that over the rice or in a ww wrap...

Sucks that the lettuce only keeps 3-4 days before getting wanky tho... same with spinach, so I try to do only 2-days on the veggies.

As for the OP - there should be no need to rinse your rice after cooking. It should be a little "sticky" anyway. I just put 2c water into the pan, bring it to a boil, pour in 1c brown rice, cover, turn down the temp to low and come back in 40 minutes to check on it. It's usually done or just about done by that time.

Your pic is making me hungry, tho. But, where's the broccoli?

Comment

I'll avoid the rinse on my next batch, i still got rice for about 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by poopies View Post
                    I've got a characol grill, and i hate to fire it up for like 2 burgers (my girl n me).. so when I do cook stuff on it, i usually make 20+ burritos to grill & freeze. its like having home made, healthy, hot pockets that taste good

Comment

I get my brown rice from Trader Joes, comes in 3 packets of about 2C each, its like $3.50. Best brown rice I've had, so soft when its microwaved, not runny or watery at all.

Recommend.
                      A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X