Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BG and Grapefruit Juice?

"Punchier Drugs--With Grapefruit Juice
    A glass of grapefruit juice not only helps the pill go down, it also makes it more potent. Now, a study in the current Journal of Clinical Investigation has revealed why: A substance in the juice fights a drug-degrading enzyme in the intestine. The insight could be a first step toward increasing the effectiveness of some oral drugs.
    About 3 years ago, researchers noted that grapefruit juice helps the body absorb many types of drugs, including sedatives, hormones, and protease inhibitors. A group of doctors from the University of Michigan and the London Health Sciences Centre, in London, Ontario, set out to investigate. They focused on an enzyme in the liver and intestine, called CYP3A4, that usually breaks down toxins from spoiled food. "It's [also] the most prolific of the drug-degrading enzymes," says Paul Watkins, a member of the Michigan team. In fact, it contributes to the breakdown of about half of all known human drugs.
    Watkins and his colleagues gave felodipine, a calcium channel blocker used to control high blood pressure, to 10 healthy men, both with and without grapefruit juice. The grapefruit juice increased blood concentrations of felodipine more than fourfold. The team also measured the concentrations of CYP3A4 levels in the intestine and found that they fell by 62%. Something in grapefruit juice appears to be blocking the action of CYP3A4. But the concentration of CYP3A4 in the liver was unchanged--suggesting that the juice does not affect the rate at which the drug is metabolized once it enters the bloodstream.
    If the active ingredient of grapefruit juice can be identified and isolated, drugs might be made more effective--and less expensive per useful dose. Adding grapefruit's CYP3A4 blocker to a pill could also assure a set dosage, an advantage, because people naturally vary 10-fold in how much of a drug they absorb. "It will make a lot of difference in the way people take drugs," predicts Raymond Woosley, a pharmacologist at Georgetown University Medical Center"

Stole the above from a BB.com forum, but also saw that the oral AS guys were going nuts about it. Mostly found it b/c i was doing some research on grapefruits and their weightloss benefits. Anybody have any insight into this? I ate half a Grapefruit w/ BG yesterday just by accident then saw the article lol.

it does look promising.
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

We actually just talked about this at school. We're doing a cardiovascular unit and during one of the pharmacology lectures they mentioned something about higher serum concentrations of certain HTN drugs when taken with grapefruit juice. They didn't mention the mechanism or that it actually effects so many drugs. Really interesting!
      diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

There are a few prescription drugs that tell you you can't eat or drink grapefruit juice with your meds.
        Last edited by bull.dogz; 08-24-2009, 05:15 PM.
        laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Yep, but lucky for us... Blue GENE is potent as **** already

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g View Post
            Yep, but lucky for us... Blue GENE is potent as **** already

What else do you really need?
            diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Originally posted by poopies View Post
              A buttless leather CL workout Speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
                A buttless leather CL workout Speedo.
                I think he meant "you" as in general you, not anaconda you
                REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                Purple Psyko
                Gold Feast
                Blue Gene
                Blue Growth
                REDuction AM/PM Shots
                REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                Orange TRIad
                White Flood (5 Flavors)
                Black Hole
                Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                Green Bulge
                White Blood 2
                Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                Blue Up
                Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs View Post
                  Haha exactly!
                  diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs View Post
                    My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
                      My bad.
                      Besides, wouldn't you rather have it in snakeskin?
                      laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Grapefruit Juice

I read somewhere in Muscle and Fitness that grapefruit juice helps absorb supplements. Would it be because grapefruit is an acid? Would apple cider vinegar work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TFLEX View Post
                          I read somewhere in Muscle and Fitness that grapefruit juice helps absorb supplements. Would it be because grapefruit is an acid? Would apple cider vinegar work as well.
                          Something in grapefruit juice appears to be blocking the action of CYP3A4. But the concentration of CYP3A4 in the liver was unchanged--suggesting that the juice does not affect the rate at which the drug is metabolized once it enters the bloodstream.
                          If the active ingredient of grapefruit juice can be identified and isolated, drugs might be made more effective--and less expensive per useful dose.
                          It seems they don't know what it is. It doesn't appear to be as simple as pH though.
                          diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

It seems they don't know what it is. It doesn't appear to be as simple as pH though.
                            yeah from what I have seen on forums, and bro science etc...which take it for what you want...but basically somehow grapefruits block certain digestive properties that will waste the potency of a drug...or something...i get lost in a lot of the scientific language but all in all the grapefruit is a pretty gnarly food imo. great for cuts, a half grapefruit keeps me full for a good two hours

Comment

I usually peel a grapefruit and eat it for breakfast with a protein shake. The tartness will wake me up if I'm dragging that morning, which is great since I stopped drinking coffee regularly.
                              diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Working...
                              X