Bulk, but when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk, but when?

Okay, I have been on a calorie deficit for quite awhile in order to lose all this fat I had, or at least to get to 10%. I have been on and off and what I mean by that is, I do 5 weeks of a deficit then take a week to eat at maintenance then get back on for another 5-6 weeks. I am 5'8 at 165, and to be honest, I have stood at this weight all through high school even though I would eat a lot of junk. My question is, can I bulk (lean mass phase for better terms ) even though I am not at that magic 10% number.

If none of this makes sense or is vague, please tell me.
    sigpic

I was recently directed towards this article http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._about_bulking

when talking about bulking vs cutting etc. I know a lot of people believe that your body needs a calorie surplus to truly make muscles and therefore you're bound to make some fat. That article brings up some interesting points to think about such as the fat cell and construction worker examples. The only thing is it would be nice if the article took supplements into account. He briefly talks about steroids but that's it. Anyways it may help you with making a decision as far as bulking vs maintenance vs cutting

Comment

Oh, thanks for the link!
      As far as the bulk, I think a lot of people go towards a bulk with a bunch of junk food. I am definitely doing a clean, but slow. I was going to do 3500 cals with 300g protien, 60-100g fats, and carbs on a little lower, about 200g. I went lower on carbs because I gain fat on them (at least I think) and bloated. I really hate that feeling, but if I don't gain weight then I will bump it up by a few.
      sigpic

Comment

Oh, another question here. Is it possible to cycle carbs on a bulk? For example, taking in carbs on bigger muscle groups of about 300g and 200g on smaller groups. I just want to gain mass with little fat gain.
        sigpic

Comment

You should be eating more carbs like pastas for bulking. gives more energy and you burn it off at gym anyway. you CAN cycle it but for what reason its that going to make that big of a difference. worry about that if your trying to cut. bulking is more carbs and alot of protein, cutting is alot of protein but cutting down on carbs.

Comment

Oats, Pasta, Rice. Whole Grains.

Comment

continued

I'm around your wgt/hgt Noc and have the same dilemma. I just picked up some pro complex gainer with the thought that i may not be getting enough cals in my daily diet. ( i know i know you can mix up a homebrew, but this was easier for me to do and thought the dextrose might be good to sip while in workout to help keep me pepped up).

i'm currently around 160-165 - keep fluctuating inside that window. my primary fat is the ole belly pudge distracting from my abs. i had dropped from 175 and really leaned out well but now i'm kinda stalled, really need to get control of my macros. i try, but apparently i'm still missing the mark as i'm not getting the response. gonna throw in some cardio 15-20 mins, 3-4 times a week, along with trying to keep my cal range at around 2400 (12*bodywgt+500 cals for growth).
              Hope to see more advice/responses to this thread. and of course, i'll continue perusing the rest of the CL forums too. great stuff!

Comment

Make sure you keep your protein intake around 1.25g per BW or higher and if you havent yet, switch your cardio to HIT instead of slow jog or bike ride. Try jump rope, sprints, punchbag, etc.
                "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
                CFD

Comment

Working...
                X