Vince Gironda workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vince Gironda workout?

This is the first time I've ever tried a Gironda-esque workout program, and I was wondering if anyone else in here has tried one at some point and could perhaps give me a few pointers.

My workout schedule looks something like this:

Days 1 and 4 consist of neck press, tricep extensions with rope attachment, and seated dumbell press to just above the head for all deltoid isolation.

Days 2 and 5 consist of seated v-bar rows, lat pulldowns (because I physically cant do chins), drag curls, and standing wrist curls.

Days 3 and 6 are legs and I do front squats, seated leg curls, and smith machine calf raises.

My ultimate goal is to get to his 8x8 program, but simply put, my body couldn't take the stress from that right now. So three weeks ago I started on a 3x12, then last week went to 4x12, and now this week I started 6x6. I rest about 30-45 seconds between sets, and am slowly trying to work down to the recommended 15 seconds rest. The short break really gives me a good pump for all areas of my body EXCEPT for my chest. After I get done with neckpress, I literally have the feeling of being completely weak in my pecs because I feel as if I can't flex them. I never have DOMS the day afterward, just some minor pain/irritation when I try to flex. Anyone have any insight/pointers on how I could make this a better workout plan?

Originally posted by 95zj View Post
    Anyone have any insight/pointers on how I could make this a better workout plan?
    More compound movements (less isolation exercises)

and alot more variation on said compound movements. Don't limit yourself to one form of anything. There are numerous ways to do everything, and variating throughout all the potential ways will ensure solid progress toward whatever your goal may be.

Same thing applies for sets/reps, always variate them.. Don't get stuck into 8x8 for 4 months.. sometimes go low set/high rep (endurance), sometimes high set, low rep (strength/power), sometimes the middle ground(hypertrophy).

there is no magical "program" to get results, it takes consistent hard work. Anyone that attempts to sell you on a certain "program" being the best is pure bullshit.

also, I don't see why lat pulldowns should substitue pullups. there are modificatiosn you can make to make them easier, if an assistance machine/spot is unavaialble. (use a bar at about waist height and feet elevated to the same, lay underneath, and using a wide grip pull your shoulders up to the bar without thrusting your hips) work on these, and slowly progress into real pullups -- start with low reps and gradually increase reps/sets #

Comment

Yeah, I basically came to a realization today and it was exactly what you just said. I couldn't rely on this workout to get me into shape, because not only is it considered a "shock routine" but it's rather for someone who's in really good physical condition and has hit a plateu or they want to cut up their body fat while still retaining their muscle.

So in response, I modifed my routine to incorporate more compound/multi-joint lifts, and decided I'm going to try out this routine and as long as I'm getting gains I'll continue on. Once I plateu, I'll switch it around, and try to find what works best for me at the time.

Comment

Working...
      X