How to diet on off days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to diet on off days.

Well it is not much of an off day, but sort of unexpected one. I had to skip workout because my wrist started to hurt a lot while carrying the weights, even if they are light weights it still bothers me. I decided to take a day and probably the rest of the week off in order for it to heal properly.

Since I have taken weeks off before after 12 weeks of constant weight training, but that is because I wanted to. In this case I need to, hard not to but I have to. I am on a cut currently and was wondering how to diet during this delay. Do I keep carbs low or do I eat at maintenance. Also, would be possible to shed fat by doing cardio since it is the only type of excercise I can do at the moment?
    Thank You.
    sigpic

diet like you normally would, eat healthy, prolly minimal carbs, minimal/moderate healthy fats, moderate/high protien. cardio is a great option since you cant handle weights ATM

just cause your not training doesnt mean your body doesnt need the same nutrients... if anything try to keep carbs/cals slightly lower than a workout day *unless you do some form of cardio/activitiy*

IMO healthy nutrition trumps "dieting" ... its gotta suck to count carbs, cals, fats, protein, etc... I spend enough time planning training + tracking that.. last thing I need is to do the same with my eating !!!! I train once a day usually, i eat 7-8x a day! ! props to people that do that...

my goal is to eat clean (healthy) & green (organic/all natural) as much as I can
    Last edited by jiritt0; 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Since I hate taking days off because I do not like sitting around, I need to be active. I will stick to the cardio and lower the carbs a bit. Since I always do cardio in the morning, will doing a second one later in the evening promote muscle catabolism?
      sigpic

Comment

yea dude... I try to get 30mins of some kind of movement every day..

jumping rope for 30minutes is an amazing workout - a rope costs like 15$, you can do it almost anywhere, and it is extremely portable!

I'd love to hear what others thoughts are on recovery day (or extended off day periods) nutrition! This is one area I'm eager to study now that I'm done with school

also, i'd recommend doing more high intensity aerobic training -- interval sprints... but prolly not in the morning, especially not before any meals
        Last edited by jiritt0; 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Hear a lot of people stick to the same diet as they do on a training day when they are off. They say that muscles grow when at rest and feeding it during off days will lead to better recovery. Most people do this during off-season rather than on a cut diet. Jump rope I do as well and it is cheap too! No need no treadmill to get your cardio done.
          sigpic

Comment

but if your not working out at the same intensity/duration as a training day, I don't see why you need the exact same cals/carbs/etc..

though muscles are recovering/growing during rest periods, which is very important, your not physically putting out the same amount of energy through actual training...

Comment

It is odd for me because I tend to eat more on off-days then I do on training days. It is not because of the whole concept behind it, it is because I am so darn hungry throughout the day and it makes it difficult to cut back for me. I usually overeat on the carbs, but other than that, they are from clean foods.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NocturnalReign View Post
                It is odd for me because I tend to eat more on off-days then I do on training days. It is not because of the whole concept behind it, it is because I am so darn hungry throughout the day and it makes it difficult to cut back for me. I usually overeat on the carbs, but other than that, they are from clean foods.
                I kinda do the same thing but only cuz my off day is Saturday, when I'm home. I replace real food with my 2 shakes on regular workout days.
                laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Saturdays I love since when I was kid when I was chubby at least, my family would go out to eat or order something every saturday. So this day is special to me. Anyway, I eat clean throughout the day and then last meal I would have a Carne Asada burrito THEY RULE!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

burritos...mmmm.... thats the best kind of food ever.. however you wrap it up, burrito, taco, quesadilla, etc. they are all <3

Comment

I hate the holidays because I do not like sitting around, I need to be active. I plan to stay in the heart and a bit lower in carbohydrates. Since I am always a heart in the morning, I will do another later in the evening promotes muscle catabolism?

Comment

Working...
                      X