Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New training program and supp stack - a review/log!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New training program and supp stack - a review/log!!!

Hey everyone. Please refer to this post for a general preview of what my situation is going into this:

http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15566

Here's the deal - I don't feel qualified to offer die-hard statistical analysis of anything, so I will tell you what and how I feel about everything as it goes. I may not update every day, but I will definitely let you know of positives and negatives. I hope that this kind of review and log, if you can call it that, can prove helpful. I know that when I first started lifting, this would have helped me more than stats, as I didn't really understand what I was looking for yet.

Here is my new training regimen, a five-day split:

1 - Off/Cardio/Endurance
    2 - Chest/Calves/Abs
    3 - Quads
    4 - Bis/Tris/Abs
    5 - Off/Cardio/Endurance
    6 - Hams/Back/Calves
    7 - Shoulders/Traps/Abs

I'm starting each day with a short warmup on the elliptical, and warming down on the bike.

My diet is aiming for 3000 calories and 200 grams of protein, split into a number of "meals:"

Pre-workout
    Post-workout/breakfast
    Mid-morning
    Lunch
    Mid-afternoon
    Dinner
    Pre-bedtime

My supplement stack is as follows:

Pre-workout:

Blue Gene
    Green MAGnitude
    Blue Up Stim-free
    White Flood

Intra-workout:

Purple WrAAth

Post-workout:

Golden Gains

Pre-bedtime:

REDuction PM

Through the day:

AST MultiPro 32X
    Fish Oil
    Glucosamine-Chondroitin-MSM
    Whey Protein

I work out first thing in the morning (I mean first thing - hitting the gym at 5:00 am before work).
    We'll see how this goes...

First day!!!

I don't think I have enough time with anything to offer feedback on effectiveness, but I will talk about the new supps.

I love the flavor of GM and PW (I have apple and grape). Man, that sour apple is AWESOME!

I had been using WF already, but adding the other supps pre-workout made the "tingle" a lot stronger, in a good way. I was still focused, not like on some other pre-supps.

When using the PW, I noticed that taking a big gulp would bring the tingle back - in essence, that feeling that used to end after about 15 minues continued for the whole hour-and-a-half...definitely a good thing.

Golden Gains - A lot of people have commented on the flavor. I love it. I wonder what it would taste like with milk, since I made it with water. That would be a lot of milk, though, and would take altering the rest of the day's diet to fit my numbers...I might try it at some point. I don't mind the grittiness AT ALL. In fact, I feel like it goes along with the apple pie flavor nicely. A good apple pie has a crust that's either crumbly (if made with crackers or something) or flaky (if made with lighter pastry), and both of those lend to it falling apart in your mouth. I think the oat flour grit that has trouble mixing is a great analog to this. My one wish would be for a slight caramel flavor, but I can find a way to add that if I really want to and think about it. This definitely makes a solid PW meal, especially when combined of my breakfast of 2 servings of oatmeal (80g dry).

I will comment on other things later. Feel free to make your own comments and ask questions!

Comment

what are your goals? short term?long term?

Comment

I feel the same way about Golden Gains!

Also, I like your log concept. Like you said, to those who don't really know what's going on with all the "body stats," this type of log could be more useful. I'm gonna subscribe and follow along. Good luck!
        diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Well, as stated in the linked thread, I'm coming out of about a year of weight loss. I was 280 pounds and almost completely inactive, and got sick of it. I joined a gym and started eating better. Over that year, I lost about 120 pounds and then put five back on. I'm 165 now (5'6"). I got to really enjoy weight training, and this is my first time looking to bulk. I'm a little scared to see the weight go back up, honestly, after such a long and successful weight loss, but I want to add a lot of muscle mass and strength, if possible. I'm currently at 11% body fat, though I look like I have more, since I have a decent amount of loose skin left over from the fatty days. I'm sorry if that's not very specific, but I don't have any specific numbers or anything in mind.

Comment

The amount of weight you lost alone, gets major kudos man. Now time to get buff! I'm interested to see how BG & BU work together.

Comment

Thanks, man. I'm proud of the weight loss. As you said, now it's time to make myself a monster. I'll tell you what, though, when I said I was inactive and weak, I wasn't kidding. When I started at the gym, I could bench the bar and a five-pounder on each side. I've never determined a one-rep max, but I do sets at 175-195. I know that's not really huge weight or anything, but coming from 55, I'm happy about it, and I've learned quickly not to worry about the weight as long as I'm getting the right muscle work out of it.

Comment

/\/\

good approach to training
                and congrats on progress thus far; keep at it !

Comment

Alright, almost through day 1...the eating is interesting. I'm not having to fight to put anything down, but it feels strange to start eating when I'm not really hungry again yet. I'll get used to it...after all, I really enjoy eating and cooking (that is a not so subtle hint for everyone to PM me their good recipes of any kind).

One thing I've noticed as far as supplementation goes is that even though today was a cardio day, with the addition of GM/PW/BG, I've stayed more vascular for a long time...interesting.

Also, tried a new whey with lunch - Higher Power Whey Power - Cookies and Cream flavor. The only other cookies and cream flavored powder I've used before is Cytosport's Cytogainer, which is very good. This one, not so tasty, but not bad either. After drinking it, I realized that I used 16 ounces of water for 2 scoops when 12 is recommended. I'll make that adjustment. It should help the taste. Updates on that to come.

I'll also give some thoughts after my first use of REDuction PM after I get some sleep tonight.

Also, if I don't update as much as you (or I) would like next week, it's most likely because I'm starting a new job. I actually started Wednesday, but with 3 days of orientation-like settings. I start training in my position tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone!

Comment

I hope you enjoy REDuction PM as much as I do! (Good luck with the new job too!)
                    diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
                        Alright, almost through day 1...the eating is interesting. I'm not having to fight to put anything down, but it feels strange to start eating when I'm not really hungry again yet. I'll get used to it...after all, I really enjoy eating and cooking (that is a not so subtle hint for everyone to PM me their good recipes of any kind).

One thing I've noticed as far as supplementation goes is that even though today was a cardio day, with the addition of GM/PW/BG, I've stayed more vascular for a long time...interesting.

Also, tried a new whey with lunch - Higher Power Whey Power - Cookies and Cream flavor. The only other cookies and cream flavored powder I've used before is Cytosport's Cytogainer, which is very good. This one, not so tasty, but not bad either. After drinking it, I realized that I used 16 ounces of water for 2 scoops when 12 is recommended. I'll make that adjustment. It should help the taste. Updates on that to come.

I'll also give some thoughts after my first use of REDuction PM after I get some sleep tonight.

Also, if I don't update as much as you (or I) would like next week, it's most likely because I'm starting a new job. I actually started Wednesday, but with 3 days of orientation-like settings. I start training in my position tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone!
                        I've been on BG for a couple months now. Talk about keepin the muscles thick and full. Im thinkin on adding BU stim free. It's all about baby steps man. And you've taken huge steps with the weight loss. Give it some time.. you will see great results with the stack and hard work!

Comment

Oh yeah - I didn't expect to see huge changes the first day, but I wanted to go ahead and report on my thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement - I'm excited about the direction in which I'm headed!

Comment

Nice log. Keep it up!
                            Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Looking forward to hearing how Day 2 went!

By the way, you're awake early!
                              diblasidr on bb.com

Comment

Working...
                              X