Golden Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Gains

This is my review page for the new release, golden gains.

I won't paste it's information here like everyone else always does, if you don't know what it is by now go find out.

Initial impression: opening tub, the thing was 1/2 empty. I always find that weird, sure it settles some but that much? who knows i guess right. it also shipped ina huge box, which was interesting. powder smelled okay I guess, I'm not a die hard apple pie fan so i was like oh my god when i opened and sniffed.

first shake was later that day, i put in some time outside (first day of 85+ temp in Philly) spent like 45 minutes warming up and getting real loose (basically a workout in itself) than I ran ten sprints or so and threw around a med ball for 5minutes

after the workout I walked up into the house and mixed up 2 scoops GG with a shaker full of h2o. It was okay, i wasn't stoked about it, and the flavor didnt move me much. It could of been because I was drinking sour apple Xtend + Green mag during the workout, so it was a boat load of apple within an hour or so. the texture seemed gritty, and i assume that relates to the oat flour carb source -- nothing drastic , i am used to putting blended steel cut oats into shakes so its all good. i presume this also lends itself to the pie crust idea??

overall impression is that its an okay flavor. I def enjoyed tropical island smoothie more, but can't recall my initial impression about that. if the golden gains results parallel or increase from golden finish, it will all be worth it.

I do enjoy the ingredient profile of GG more than GFH (which makes sense)

on a recovery day I wanted to mix 2 scoops with skim milk, but i didn't get too it..

2nd serving: same thing, 2 scoops in a shaker of water. drank it post workout at school, workout was warm up + weights. I was starving and didnt drink any apple flavors during the workout. this shake went down smoother, and having a granny smith apple afterward was cool. still an interesting flavor that I dont feel to be the most refreshing postworkout, espceially when compared to GFH's flavor...

more to follow

3rd shake yesterday postworkout -- flavor is starting to grow on me.. took abouta full 40 minutes to drink, but I also had alot of intra/pre drinks left I chugged immediately post.

Comment

made a meal replacement type shake today: 2 scoops of powder, about 1/2 a shaker of skim milk, a bit of egg whites (i dont measure, I just dump in) and topped off with water.

it was very good! the apple really impressed me with this shake. sadly i dont use milk postworkout tho =x

Comment

I am not a fan of GG texture as of yet. I think Tank and the CL folks could do alot better. The flavor rocks and is a welcomed break from the usual chocolate protein flavors.
        Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

im the opposite -- i dont mind the texture but would enjoy the old gfh flavor more...

you never added oat powder to PWO s hakes i guess?

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
            im the opposite -- i dont mind the texture but would enjoy the old gfh flavor more...

you never added oat powder to PWO s hakes i guess?
            Only in the blender. The thick texture of the oat flour does not bother me but for some reason the GG's grain seem to be a little more rough and harsh.

Honestly, I never really understood why adding a slow digesting carb to a post workout shake is necessary. I prefer the faster absorbed carbs and the slower ones for my post meal.
            Last edited by icetrauma; 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM.
            Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

i feel ya -- i just know carbs post workout are good, so i use whatever really.bulk oats are cheapest, but lately ive been thriving off relentless + gfh/gg sales!

postworkout shake today, downed it before i was even 1/2 home -- was very dehydrated and on a huge workout high. ! the flavor has official grown on me and i dont mind drinking it any. it's actually alot better, having a milk one must of made me realize the appleness or something? idk, but yea, i still do love the gfh flavor, but this one is okay now.. maybe I just habituate real quick who knows.

Comment

another post workout shake today -- really digging the flavor already, after like 5 shakes or so. goodjob. CL.

Comment

postworkout shake just a minute ago -- feel real bloated and pretty sick... diet was bad last 24 hours (cinco de mayo party = lots of corona + refried beans)

good workout though, and i got in an average day of food... just feelin the day after effects of booze i guess..

Comment

post shake today -- was a crazy workout, and I am feeling the aftermath of waaayyy to many beans over the weekend.. I feel like every meal + snack had some kind of beans in them on saturday and sunday... was at my girlfriends moms 50th bday party... ate alot.. drank a good bit, had fun.

workout was intense, and golden gains was great afterward. chugged it down and ate an apple within my 30min drive home. yumyum, glad i bought 6 tubs of the product, just wont need to use them for a long while after this rreview is finished... feel like I have 1/4 of the tub left or so..

Comment

back at gym on monday, had 2 postworkout shakes since than, same ol same ol.. tastes alot better than the intiial first few, and the results parallel golden finish

Comment

final review:

taste - it grew on me real good. I have been back on golden finish two workouts this week, and it just wasn;t the same. i realized its a lot sweeter than golden gains, and may make me want sweets more after drinking it. the apple pie taste is good as you become used too it, especially including the fact it has great carbs for post workout which are masked as pie crust !

results - stuff parallels golden finish in my mind and may even be better. its hard for me to point to one single thing as causing progress, but when you combined a postworkout product with intense training and clean nutrition, you cant really go wrong. while there may be other ways to get protein/carbs postworkout, the ingredient profile of GG is pretty awesome !

cost - I didn't pay for it, and I'm not really sure what the real price is per tub, but I do know I bought a boat load during the presale at cl website.

overall, it is def. worth a shot postworkout. If you've never used a postworkout protein, i would highly recommend this product. I've used golden finish and relentless recently, and all seem to be great options! The flavoring in GG is def. worth checking, as far as I know relentless is only in chocolate.. which is kind of bland and boring since most bulk powders come in chocolate .

Comment

Nice review!!!
                          laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Working...
                          X