Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your cardio choice

Heylo again beautiful ppl

My question today is your cardio choice? What sort of cardio do you do and what do you enjoy?

Im thinking of boxing more for around 30mins, Do you think this would be good? or not enough for cardio?

Look forward to seeing your replies, Hope everyone is well!

Kam
    "I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldnt."

I love the jump rope.. its cheap, its effective, it hits the majority of your body, its portable, and its fun to do all sorts of random things with

Comment

Originally posted by Kamm View Post

My question today is your cardio choice? What sort of cardio do you do and what do you enjoy?

Im thinking of boxing more for around 30mins, Do you think this would be good? or not enough for cardio?

Kam
      Boxing is definitely a great choice.

My current fave is the concept II rower.
      kane@controlledlabs.com
      Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
      Looks for the ads, coming soon!
      www.controlledlabs.com
      www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

almost 1300 for the top of the line erg tho... that's alot of jump ropes!

Comment

Secks.

Comment

laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

/\/\

always a great option

( . ) ( . )

You stay classy san diego

Comment

Originally posted by Kamm View Post

Kam

I like plyometrics . .though not strictly cardio . . . you're doing explosive jumping movements (like jump squats, jumping lunges, swing kicks) it definitely gets your heart racing and has the added benefit of making you more nimble, agile, and athletic. I do the one that came with p90x even though I don't do p90x anymore. Once a week for about 40 minutes works perfectly for me on top of my 4 - 5 day per week lifting regimen.

Comment

plyometrics are basically the opposite of cardio..

cardio = extended duration, focused on elevated heart rate

plyos = high intensity, lower repetitions, focused on quick and powerful movements..

as an aside, i've grown very fond of sprints since mentioning jump rope earlier

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
                    plyometrics are basically the opposite of cardio..

cardio = extended duration, focused on elevated heart rate

plyos = high intensity, lower repetitions, focused on quick and powerful movements..

as an aside, i've grown very fond of sprints since mentioning jump rope earlier
                    Good point, JD . . .it's just that given the choice between doing strict cardio (running, elliptical machine, jumping jacks, etc) or plyo each for say a period of time of 30 - 40 minutes you will have similar cardiovascular benefits but additional benefits from doing the plyo.

Have you seen the one in p90x? It feels like high intensity cardio to me. You basically circuit through 4 moves each 30 seconds in duration twice, then you move onto the next 4 moves. It keeps you moving, get's your heart rate up, and burns tons of calories.

Comment

Originally posted by ericpad View Post
                      Good point, JD . . .it's just that given the choice between doing strict cardio (running, elliptical machine, jumping jacks, etc) or plyo each for say a period of time of 30 - 40 minutes you will have similar cardiovascular benefits but additional benefits from doing the plyo.
                      I hate to be blunt, but you've got your info wrong..

plyos arent meant to be done for 30-40 minutes... and overall plyometrics dont do much for heart rate, they're built around utilizing the stretch shortening cycle in muscle during rapid movements to develop explosive power...

to try and obtain an aerobic/cardiovascular benefit from plyometrics would be extremely counter productive to the nature of the exercises...

ideally plyometrics should be performed at the start of a workout (before fatigue sets in and significantly increases the risk of injury) for low repitions. i believe a general recommendatin is to avoid doing more than 6 or 8 repeitions per set, and keep sets low.. i personally would recommend around 25 total reps for plyometric training (25 may even be a little high)

Have you seen the one in p90x? It feels like high intensity cardio to me. You basically circuit through 4 moves each 30 seconds in duration twice, then you move onto the next 4 moves. It keeps you moving, get's your heart rate up, and burns tons of calories.

your description is basically circuit training, which I am an avid fan of because it works. you dont need to purchase a 125$ product to understand circuit training -- take a handful of movements, perferbly ones that incorporate alot of movenet, doing them in rapid succession with no rest between each and minimal rest after each circuit if your goal is fat loss/aerobic training..
                      Last edited by jiritt0; 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
                        I hate to be blunt, but you've got your info wrong..

plyos arent meant to be done for 30-40 minutes... and overall plyometrics dont do much for heart rate, they're built around utilizing the stretch shortening cycle in muscle during rapid movements to develop explosive power...

My bad . . .my impression of plyo is based solely on the p90x plyo dvd . .( i purchased and did p90x earlier this year before learned more and realized my real goal). The p90x plyo dvd basically runs for about 40 minutes as I described in my previous post and it most definitely get's your HR way up. I'm not saying that it's true plyometric training . .just the only one that I am presently familiar with.

I did 60 days of p90x and realized that I could do so much better by using actual weights and a more solid body building program. However, I did find the plyo in p90x extremely beneficial especially for my performance in the various sports that I play. And I would definitely use it again if I were in a cutting cycle.

Comment

My bad . . .my impression of plyo is based solely on the p90x plyo dvd . .( i purchased and did p90x earlier this year before learned more and realized my real goal). The p90x plyo dvd basically runs for about 40 minutes as I described in my previous post and it most definitely get's your HR way up. I'm not saying that it's true plyometric training . .just the only one that I am presently familiar with.

I did 60 days of p90x and realized that I could do so much better by using actual weights and a more solid body building program. However, I did find the plyo in p90x extremely beneficial especially for my performance in the various sports that I play. And I would definitely use it again if I were in a cutting cycle.

And sorry if I've misinformed . .I'm definitely not trying to give bad information out!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X