Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my calves to grow???

Halp.

major leg movements (squats, lunges) are good, but hands down you need to do lots and lots and lots of heavy calf raises...

try them with toes straight ahead, toes pointed in, toes pointed out, and toes straight ahead with knees bent to aprox. 120degrees /seated (focuses work on the soleous rather than gastroc)

calves are slow responders

You can also walk on your tip toes when noone is around, and my favorite -- sit in class/work/whatever and keep your toe driving into the ground while you pump your heel up and down an inch or so (im prolly add cos i cant sit still)

Comment

Thanks J

I have been reading alot of articles suggesting doing burnout sets, which goes against everything I thought I knew for hypertrophic training. But since appearently I have more red muscle in my claves, I need to do high reps for a growth response?

Heavy sets supersetted with burnouts maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras View Post
        Thanks J

I have been reading alot of articles suggesting doing burnout sets, which goes against everything I thought I knew for hypertrophic training. But since appearently I have more red muscle in my claves, I need to do high reps for a growth response?

Heavy sets supersetted with burnouts maybe?
        Palumbo reccomends doing only one heavy set to failure for calves.

I'm experimenting with different approaches myself. Currently hitting it twice per week but might increase frequency.
        kane@controlledlabs.com
        Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
        Looks for the ads, coming soon!
        www.controlledlabs.com
        www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

i like to do multiple sets of 12, with mad weight (ive got tree trunks, haha) than do a static hold for 12+ seconds at the top of the ROM , static hold for 12+ seconds at bottom of the ROM, and static hold for 12+ seconds at the middle point of the ROM

additionally, I find that high grade/incline walking on a treadmill burns my calfs..

and in the past I used to run on my toes (plantar flexed) so everytime I ran my calves would be numb for a good while afterward (unless I was used to it)

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
            i like to do multiple sets of 12, with mad weight (ive got tree trunks, haha) than do a static hold for 12+ seconds at the top of the ROM , static hold for 12+ seconds at bottom of the ROM, and static hold for 12+ seconds at the middle point of the ROM
            At the end of each set or just the final set?
            kane@controlledlabs.com
            Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
            Looks for the ads, coming soon!
            www.controlledlabs.com
            www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

I shoot for each set --- I may not always do the 3 diff holds, depends on time/etc.

I really like the top hold (its most tough of the calves) and the bottom hold (good for dorsiflexion for running, reducing shin splits) the middle hold I just do to do sometimes..

I used to calf raise near/over a thousand pounds on a sled, and got into the habit of doing static holds just because it wasnt really hard to do the weight so i figure if i just hold it at certain points after all the reps it'll burn more..

I dont do that much weight anymore, calves arent a priority or goal of mine, but the hold idea stuck with me.. the calves are hard to grow, they can lift and lift and lift (an advantageous mechincal lever system), but don't hypertrophy easily (due to their muscle fiber characteristics)

on a random side note, one of my old HS football coach, dude was like 50-60 and busting it harder than anyone I ever saw in the gym, and he used to always say two muscles never grew no matter how hard you work them: the calves and the penis... while I dont think hes entirely correct, he was def. onto something

Comment

The idea of performing static holds mid reps or at the end sounds like a good idea! Il have to try it.

I always thought that when you trained your calves they did grow alittle in size but mainly began to cut really nicely into that "heart shape" best way I can describe it.

Kane's got pretty deadly calves.... looking at his workout logs, he does alot of strong leg lifts such as the power snatch etc. Also slipping them in with dynamic stretching I think doing a couple hundred reps.

Kam
                "I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldnt."

Comment

yeah, you def want to blast the legs alot, way more than chest I say

try jumping rope on your tip toes too

Comment

I've found that stretching them alot between sets really helps to get mine to respond nicely... They have a really tight sheet of muscle surrounding them that will actually prevent growth... at least thats what I learned in school

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf View Post
                      Palumbo reccomends doing only one heavy set to failure for calves.

I'm experimenting with different approaches myself. Currently hitting it twice per week but might increase frequency.
                      More volume and better stretch has worked a bit for me personally

Comment

Working...
                      X