Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chains

I'm looking into making my own chain get up.. was about to buy a set from power systems -- they were listed as on sale for 105$ instead of the normal 210$.. than i got to shipping and said noooppee

Saw some threads on bb.com about making your own -- specifically some posts by Dracoy in this business... and while I venture into the land of chain buying/making, I was hoping to make a thread on it for others that become interested (and to get wisedom from dracoy himself! )

so far, im looking into an ebay source that sells bulk 5/8 chain for 7.79$ a foot..

I believ ethe set up looks like this:

some cheaper/thinner 3/8 chain to wrap around the actual barbell -- 6 feet per side (needs to be long for squatting use)

gonna have to find some device/gear to hook it to the bar and than to hook the heavy chains to the smaller chains

than 5 foot sections of 5/8 chains attached to the smaller chain so that they touch the ground during ROM --- a 5foot section weighs about 20 lb (???) so I would prolly use 2 or 3 per each side of barbell

so i figure i'll need 2 - 6 feet section of 3/8 chain

the hanging devices for the chain to bar and chain to chain

and 4 or 6 pieces of the 5 foot section 5/8 chain ...

Maybe I'm just unaware but why not just get it from your local hardware store?
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

5/8 chain is thick/heavy and not carried (according to others posts at bb.com)

I'm going to try the local home depot/lowes, but i dont expect much luck. If anything, they may be able to put me in the right direction

the heavy duty chain link isnt used for much i guess, outside of jobs demanding extreme strength (think boat anchor, junk yard work, etc.), and since steel/iron prices aren't as cheap as they used to be it's not as easy to find..

the cheaper chain and hooking links i should be able to find easy from lowes/home depot, but its the thick heavy part thats 1 most important and 2 hard to find (without paying tons for shipping) =x

Comment

You could also use multiply lengths of the lighter grade chain. A loop around the bar a few feet of chain to a carabiner then for the actual chain that will give you the increasing resistance as it comes of the floor use four lengths of the home depot chain. Then instead of using diff sizes of chain to increase or decrease resistance you can just add or subtract chains.

According to this article at dragondoor http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/21 the 5/8 is about 4.4 lb per 5 foot and the 3/8 which you can get at any local hardware store is 3lb per 5 ft. Also Starr products sale bulk chain online. I havent personally ordered from them but I have heard good things. They sell it for 7.79 a foot to 7.59 depending on grade. Their shipping was $60 for shipping six 5 foot pieces of 5/8 chain to north Alabama. They are based in Pennsylvania so it may be cheaper shipped to you.
        Last edited by Obeast; 01-16-2009, 08:46 PM.
        Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

yeah, I think their shipping is 13$ to philly (may be per foot ??)

I've found 2 other sites that sell the sizes neeeded too:

http://www.cmindustrial.com/products...sp?category=21

http://www.imakerope.com/ (not loadting atm, but im pretty sure its right..)

Im going to try and extort all local possiblities before paying for shipping.. theres gotta be somewhere in philadelphia that i can get some chain from!!

Comment

They are raping you if they quoted you $13 per foot for shipping. They shipped thirty feet down here to a friend of mine for $60. They are in butler which is just a couple hundred miles east of Philly.

Damn at that anchor chain. That must be what the menfolk squat with, the 4.75 inch is 210lb per foot
            Last edited by Obeast; 01-17-2009, 02:22 PM.
            Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast View Post
              They are raping you if they quoted you $13 per foot for shipping. They shipped thirty feet down here to a friend of mine for $60. They are in butler which is just a couple hundred miles east of Philly.

Damn at that anchor chain. That must be what the menfolk squat with, the 4.75 inch is 210lb per foot

haha yeah.. i guess most people use 5/8 chain for lifting, but ive found alot heavier/thicker stuff and been like thats awesome.. !

I could use alot of the thinner chain, but than its alot of chain to carry, i'd rather have a few big heavy chains rather than a ton of smaller light ones (big chains look BA too)

going out to local hardware stores today to check out the logistics of this from them.. prolly will be two sections of 6 foot 3/8 chain for the loop onto the bar.. thatll help me stay motivated to find local heavy chain

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
                5/8 chain is thick/heavy and not carried (according to others posts at bb.com)

I'm going to try the local home depot/lowes, but i dont expect much luck. If anything, they may be able to put me in the right direction
                Interesting. Let us know what you find out. I have been loving bands and have been thinking about chains in the future.
                **CONTROLLED LABS SPONSORED ATHLETE**
                **THENUTRITIONX.COM SPONSORED ATHLETE**
                WNBF Pro Bodybuilder & Trainer

http://www.RICHBODYFIT.com
                http://www.BeyondLimitsTraining.net
                http://www.NaturalBuckeyeClassic.com - 3rd annual coming in April 2011 with the WNBF Pro Men's Tournament of Champions!

Comment

i got 2 pieces of 6 foot chain that is 3/8 from lowes and 4 big 1/4 (i think) clamp hooks. it all ran about 35$

the chains only weigh aprox 20 pds (maybe less?) which is kind of depressing.. finding heavier stuff w/o shipping is gonna be difficult

the hooks are pretty nice, they are big enoughto easily hold 2-3 sections of chain depending on the size of it.. so I'm thinking I'm just going to use the hook clamp to make a circle at one end of the chains that can wrap around the bar rather than the typical set up that has smaller chain hanging from the bar and a cluster of heavy chain closer to the ground

on a side note, i bought a XXHeavy band from power systems.. im pretty pissed off, cos they list it as "strength bandS" but they are sold individually (written in small print i noticed after receiving shipment).. i thought i was getting 2 of them for 75$, turns out I only got 1..

and to top that off, i cant really even use bands in the room I lift in... theres no benches/racks with a bar across the floor to wrap them around (except for a smith rack with support poles on both sides of the bar, but thats lame takes all the balance out of everything)
                  Last edited by jiritt0; 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Try getting a few sets and it will work very nicely.
                    CONTROLLED LABS
                    Email: dracoy [@] controlledlabs.com
                    Forum: controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer: The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Working...
                    X