Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc help

anyone a IT/networking guru?

I've got a laptop that is stuck on a 169 ip address not 192 -- something about vista, i think it assigns 169 when the dyanimc DNS server something or other Fs up, and it wont allow it to connect to the internet/outside connections.. i can get it to conncet to our home verizon modem connection, and see it on the modem login page -- it shows the IP Address Allocation: Static IP rather than Dynamic (DHCP) like the working laptop does

i've traied almost everything google can muster up

i even took it to the computer services help desk on campus and the guy told me 1 it was a virus or 2 i need to whipe my PC clean and if that doesnt work get a new network card ... i dont think he knew what the issue is though and didnt care much..

this happened to my gfs laptop awhile ago and we somehow magically fixed it.. after talking to verizonf or like 3-4hours on the phone, she hung up and like 20 mins later did something to cure it..

anyways, anyone know whats goin on and how ot fix it!?
    Last edited by jiritt0; 11-22-2008, 11:23 AM.

1) F**k VISTA

2) Did you try flushdns ?

Start ---> Run --->

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

3) Also things like this can happen if your home connection won't (officially) allow multiple users
    Last edited by pu12en12g; 11-22-2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
      .... the guy told me 1 it was a virus
      VIrusSTA

Might be a better explanation here:
      http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1600/...s_cache_flush/
      Last edited by pu12en12g; 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

the ipconfig /release renew flushdns all say i need elevation -- whatever that means

i did some more Fing around and forced the tcp/ip to have an IP # one over the one that workso n my girlfriends pc, plugged in the right subnet mask and default gateway..

got some weird message about a firewall blocking the conncetion, but i completely turned off my firewall, message was this

"policy provider - Filter name: SymNetDrv Firewall Filter OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4
        if the policy provider identified is windows firewall, click for info about adjusting windows firewall settings. if a different policy provider has been identified, check the provider's documentation on how to adjust the policy settings"

when I click the button,it takes me to a help page that wont load cause theres no internet connection..

my DHCP is def. not working based on the comparison to my girlfriends TCP/IPv4 advanced settings -- where hers shows up as DHCP connection, mine only shows the ip add/subnet mask I force it too through basic config..

this blows.. havent had internet on my laptop for near a month or more, and im supposded to be making a webpage for my grad program, lol

I dont think my network card is bad though, cos when I click on the connections tatus it shows up identical to the good laptop, only my IPv4 and 6 connectivity is local instead of internet and limited like on the good laptop..
        Last edited by jiritt0; 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM.

Comment

whoopie.. i finally got free time back in my life, and i utilized the system restore cds to completely erase my harddrive and reformat it.

now, the ip address allocation is back to DHCP, and I can connect to the web again!

Vicccctttooooorrrryyyyy!

Comment

Working...
          X