Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie looking for lots of advice. (Be gentle.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for lots of advice. (Be gentle.)

(Longtime lurker, so please excuse what is probably a very long and rambling first post. I've got a lot of questions!)

(Also, if this should be in the "diet/fat-loss" forum, please feel free to move it!)

Joined a gym back in February and I guess I've kinda got "the bug" since I've actually stuck with it this long and have come to really enjoy it.

At 5'10" and 285, I'm going for aesthetic/health reasons...not looking to get competitive or anything. My friend and I go lift every other day, and I TRY to get in about 30-45 minutes of cardio on as many "off" days as I can.

Weight Schedule:
    Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 3: Arms and Abs
    Day 4: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 5: Back and Shoulders
    Day 6: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 7: Chest and Abs
    Day 1: Off/(Cardio?)
    Repeat (Does that make sense? LOL)
    (Also do about 15-20 min. of treadmill before lifting to get the blood flowing.)

There's definite differences in the mirror, and I've been getting compliments from my friends and family. (About 2 years ago, I was probably pushin' 325-330 and was a shapeless tub of goo!).

I feel a LOT better than I have in a long time. But I've still got a LOT of fat hanging around.

I've been researching supplements for a while now and have tried a few here and there, and think I've nailed down a pretty good "stack" to help me along my journey.

Problem is, due to my work schedule, I don't get to the gym until around 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. during the week, so I'm not sure how/when to use the supplements.

Here's the stack I'm wanting to start the first full week of November:

CL Red Acid Gen2
    MAN Vaporize (Sorry, CL guys. Didn't think about Sesaglow until after my Prosource order had shipped!)
    CL Blue-Up Stim Free (Used this on and off and really like it.)
    Cytodyne ZMassPM (Using this already. Love the sleep.)
    Creatine (Always.)
    Whey Protein (Always.)
    Multi-Vitamin (Always.)
    (Using "store brands" on the last 3, but I think I made some good choices.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions on any changes in the workout plan and
    how to spread out the supplements (or eliminate anything I don't need.)

Also, I know my diet SUUUUUUCKS, so if anyone knows of any diet plans (or websites where I can research some), I DEFINITELY want to get that NAILED DOWN as well. I know all the work and cash on supps will be for naught without doing that.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to be a good pupil. I'm 32, and I know getting in shape is only gonna get harder the older I get!
    Meat Locker Studios: Serving up prime cuts since 1988!

Originally posted by meatlockerstudios
    (Longtime lurker, so please excuse what is probably a very long and rambling first post. I've got a lot of questions!)

(Also, if this should be in the "diet/fat-loss" forum, please feel free to move it!)

Joined a gym back in February and I guess I've kinda got "the bug" since I've actually stuck with it this long and have come to really enjoy it.

At 5'10" and 285, I'm going for aesthetic/health reasons...not looking to get competitive or anything. My friend and I go lift every other day, and I TRY to get in about 30-45 minutes of cardio on as many "off" days as I can.

Weight Schedule:
    Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 3: Arms and Abs
    Day 4: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 5: Back and Shoulders
    Day 6: Off/(Cardio?)
    Day 7: Chest and Abs
    Day 1: Off/(Cardio?)
    Repeat (Does that make sense? LOL)
    (Also do about 15-20 min. of treadmill before lifting to get the blood flowing.)
    Looks like a decent split to me.

There's definite differences in the mirror, and I've been getting compliments from my friends and family. (About 2 years ago, I was probably pushin' 325-330 and was a shapeless tub of goo!).

I feel a LOT better than I have in a long time. But I've still got a LOT of fat hanging around.

I've been researching supplements for a while now and have tried a few here and there, and think I've nailed down a pretty good "stack" to help me along my journey.

Problem is, due to my work schedule, I don't get to the gym until around 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. during the week, so I'm not sure how/when to use the supplements.

Here's the stack I'm wanting to start the first full week of November:

CL Red Acid Gen2
    MAN Vaporize (Sorry, CL guys. Didn't think about Sesaglow until after my Prosource order had shipped!)
    Creatine (Always.)
    Whey Protein (Always.)
    Multi-Vitamin (Always.)
    (Using "store brands" on the last 3, but I think I made some good choices.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions on any changes in the workout plan and
    how to spread out the supplements (or eliminate anything I don't need.)

Also, I know my diet SUUUUUUCKS, so if anyone knows of any diet plans (or websites where I can research some), I DEFINITELY want to get that NAILED DOWN as well. I know all the work and cash on supps will be for naught without doing that.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to be a good pupil. I'm 32, and I know getting in shape is only gonna get harder the older I get!
    CL Red Acid Gen2
    -Follow the directions, but beware of stimulants! Don't take pre-workout if you go to bed shortly after.

MAN Vaporize
    -With meals one cap 3x daily

-I would say to use this preworkout if you don't use the Red Gen 2 b/c of the Stims!

-At night of course.

Creatine (Always.)
    -Pre workout, post workout, both, in the AM on off days.

Whey Protein (Always.)
    -Post workout, whenever. (Morning and night are good times)

Multi-Vitamin (Always.)
    -With meals

Hope this helps!

Comment

I don't think the supplements nor the routine are worth figuring out until you get the diet in check ... maybe try bb.com or ironmass.com and search the nutrition/workoutlog/journal threads ... or ask SCT for some help in the diet section here on the CL forums

but like RR said, the routine looks fine ... you could try the BU stim free at night as well

best of luck to you
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

Any questions after reading this let me know:
        http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45

Welcome to the forum !! Lots of helpful guys here.

Comment

Thanks guys. Lots of good info already.

I know I've definitely got to get a diet plan going and stick to it. Friend of mine had me following Weight Watchers with her. WHOOF! It worked pretty well, but MAN that's a lot of mess to keep up with! I got lazy.

I do visit BB.com a lot, so I'm definitely gonna dig into their info.

Also, pu12en12g, saw that newbie sticky. NICE stuff in there. U da' man.

Appreciate all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by meatlockerstudios
            Thanks guys. Lots of good info already.

I know I've definitely got to get a diet plan going and stick to it. Friend of mine had me following Weight Watchers with her. WHOOF! It worked pretty well, but MAN that's a lot of mess to keep up with! I got lazy.

I do visit BB.com a lot, so I'm definitely gonna dig into their info.

Also, pu12en12g, saw that newbie sticky. NICE stuff in there. U da' man.

Appreciate all the help!
            Hey man,

Just noticed you are 32... just wanted to say RESPECT. You're definately on the right track above... let me just ask you this:

What type of cardio do you enjoy ? What type of cardio can you visualize yourself doing and enjoying for the rest of your life ?

Comment

Thanks for the respect on the age.

I come from two families of heavyset people, so I caught that in my DNA. Now I see all the health problems a lot of my relatives are having later in life, so I decided I needed to act now to avoid that for myself. My best friend said he was joining the new 24/7 gym nearby and I took that as the proverbial "sign from above".

As far as cardio goes, I guess I prefer walking or jogging.

I've tried the elliptical and I'm just two clumsy and uncoordinated. With bikes and my weight, it gets a little uncomfortable in my...uhhh.........area. LOL!

But I have no problem going up to the gym, setting the treadmill to 3.5 or so and going for 45-60 minutes.

Tried running, but I was born with big, flat feet and I've inherited my dad's weak ankles, so I get shin-splints like a mutha'.

Been reading how sprinting is good, so I've been working on this. I'll go in 5 minute cycles: 4 minutes at about 3.2 and then a minute at 4.0 (or more). Hoping to eventually get to a 2.5 min/2.5 min split.

(Sorry I get so longwinded. But like I said before, I'm an eager pupil, so I want to share what I can so I can get lots of good feedback.)

Comment

Working...
              X