Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner / Newbie FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djbkxr
    Is it better to use LBM or total body weight to calculate grams of protein to consume per day?
    Aim high IMO (and continue reading the links above which explain why)

Comment

hey pu12en12g, i was having a read of http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=337536

and the following caught my eye..

Originally Posted by philhill4
      ....let me give you some real world results.

I can introduce you to dozens of my clients over the years who are all natural and upped their protein intake considerably and got amazing results. I will however provide you with my latest success story.

My client came to me as a new client 6 months ago. Basically he had trained for about 6 years starting at age 18. He had definetly made progress but nothing super significant. He came to me at 190lbs with 12% bodyfat with some pretty decent strength. His basic diet breakdown at this point was 250grams of protein, 250grams of carbs and about 90grams of fat each day. In the 2 years prior he had only improved by about 6 lbs.

My first thing I did with him was up his protein intake to 350grams immediately but I lowered his carb intake. I didn't want to change his calories at all at first. I wanted him to see what higher protein would do for his body. After just 3 weeks he was up 193lbs with the same bodyfat.

Now at the end of the first month I took him to a new level. His new diet would consist of 450g protein, carbs would remain at the new 150g level, and fat would increase to an average of 125g a day mostly from healthy EFA's. At the end of the third month having been at this macronutrient protocol for 2 months his stats were 205lbs with 11% bodyfat. Let me remind you that no steroids or ph's were used and neither were any thermogenic fat burners.

So now was the time for one more boost but he wanted to lean out big time and still gain muscle. So I put him on 550g protein, 150g carbs and raised the fat intake just slightly to 140g on average. After 3 months at this protocol along with a consistent high intensity training program he absolutely exploded with size. He ended that 3 month period weighing 224lbs with 9% bodyfat.

Now that is a gain of 34lbs in just 6months with a loss of bodyfat of 3%. His strength increased dramatically on all excercises. We are going to keep him at this protocol for another 3 months before we change it. I don't expect the same degree of change in the coming 3 months. I find that when I introduce this program to people of upping the protein, they have an initial anabolic response that is incredible but then it tapers off and it is about a slow build at that point. So our new goal is at the end of the next 3 months to have him at 230lbs or more with a bodyfat percentage to remain below 10% at all times and to make this a new easy to manage constant for the future. I want him to be able to enjoy this new physique for as long as he wishes to creating a simple yet effective program is what myself and my fellow trainers I work with are all about.

Bottom line is protein is the foundation for all muscle growth. Everything else is secondary. Oh and on top of all that with all my clients at least 60-70% of their nutrition comes from quality shakes. By quality I don't mean some 100% whey mixed in milk. While that is ok if you are broke it isn't going to give you the edge you need. For maximum results stick with quality products like these:

Dorian Yates Pro Peptide
      Sann Infusion
      Beverly Nutrition proteins
      Syntrax Isomatrix
      Protein Customizer
      and there are a few others.

Don't dismiss the power of high protein diets. In fact you elude to high protein diets only being good for steroid users but my experience over the last 15years or so says otherwise. While steroid users of course need high protein so do natural athletes as well. Of course everyone is different but don't judge it until you have given it a try and done it properly.

If you want any advice on ideas at all just email me or PM me.

I was just wondering what your option is on it all.. I know you got alot of lean gains from Oats.. what was your carbs/protein intakes looking like?

CHEERS!
      Current Stack:
      CL-GM,WF,GG,PW,OT, ON 100% Whey

BB.com Bodyspace

Comment

Originally posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
        hey pu12en12g, i was having a read of http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=337536

and the following caught my eye..

I was just wondering what your option is on it all.. I know you got alot of lean gains from Oats.. what was your carbs/protein intakes looking like?

CHEERS!
        My emphasis was always, ALWAYS on protein intake and healthy fats. Because we're surrounded by carbs, carb intake should never be a problem. Now back in the day I wasn't tracking my macros, but I was getting around 2g protein per lb... doing that CONSISTENTLY was a part-time job in and of itself....

More good stuff:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=14
        Last edited by pu12en12g; 01-24-2009, 06:04 AM.

Comment

great stuff, love vids, will def check them out later.

thx pu12en12g, some real interesting info ont he BB forum you posted so cheers!!
          Current Stack:
          CL-GM,WF,GG,PW,OT, ON 100% Whey

BB.com Bodyspace

Comment

Originally posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
            great stuff, love vids, will def check them out later.

thx pu12en12g, some real interesting info ont he BB forum you posted so cheers!!

Comment

This is a really good and informative thread! Thankyou

One quick question the top 5 or so links wont work? There ones i wanted to really read too :P

Any chance of them being fixed?

Kam
              "I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldnt."

Comment

Originally posted by Kamm View Post
                This is a really good and informative thread! Thankyou

One quick question the top 5 or so links wont work? There ones i wanted to really read too :P

Any chance of them being fixed?

Kam
                You mean the deadlifting and bench press tips etc.. ?

Comment

How can i loss my weights quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by theramatch1 View Post
                    How can i loss my weights quickly?
                    Whats your diet look like?
                    As far as supplementation goes, we have quite a few supplements designed for fat loss. How do you do with caffeine?
                    sigpicDarren Conroy
                    Controlled Labs Sponsored Natural Athlete
                    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
                    dconroy6@gmail.com

FREE Controlled Labs SAMPLES
                    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135778441

Free Controlled Labs supps for your labels
                    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=117636651

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

Comment

Thanx Ice Cold 8180 for reply, i just want to loss my fats very quickly, do you know maintain any food chart to keep healthy and slim.

Comment

Thanx Ice Cold 8180 for reply, i just want to loss my fats very quickly, do you know maintain any food chart to keep healthy and slim.
                        Fatloss isn't a quick process at all

Comment

Sorry for the late reply..
                          In regards to your question, fat loss isn't the fastest process. It does take some time but you can include certain supplements to assist you with achieving your goals. As far as charting out my food, I do that when I'm dieting down for a show but don't think it's always necessary. I think that when you get a good generalization of healthy food and lifestyle, your body and mind are trained to always stay healthy. When at the store buying food or eating out, just make sure that you are keeping everything in moderation. You alway want a good balance of protein, carbs and preferably good fats...
                          sigpicDarren Conroy
                          dconroy6@gmail.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

Comment

If you tolerance to caffeine is reasonable, reduction am and pm along with orange triad is a great start!
                            sigpicDarren Conroy
                            dconroy6@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X