Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah

All Natural

I am an idiot and got myself perma banned.
    Last edited by Controlled Labs; 05-28-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

lol, jesus that was quick. didn't even read his post.

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
        I have like 75g Malto and 45 dextrose
        How much should i have PRE workout?

Comment

Originally posted by dee213
          Ive never taken any carbs preworkout the only thing I do is sip on some Whey during my workout

Comment

Originally posted by dee213
            I subscribe to the notion of a complex carb/protein source preworkout. When not doing a ketogenic diet I usually do oats + milk + whey.. Here is some information from Alan Aragon about preworkout nutrition. (found on bb.com forums)

Originally posted by Alan Aragon
            PRE-PREWORKOUT: THE GLYCOGEN FACTOR

glycogen is the limiting fuel for exercise in the glycolytic range of the energy substrate continuum. this means that even though bodybuilders aren't gonna be running marathon or growing impotent from sitting their asses on a hard bike seat doing the tour de france, glycogen is still important for muscular work in the rep ranges that primarily cause hypertrophy. many bodybuilders i know are on a "permanent precontest" phase, and keep their carbs low no matter what, and are really frustrated with their gains. actual amount of total carbs daily is another discussion, but suffice it to say that it's really tough to gain muscle - no matter how much protein you're chuggin' - when you're constantly averaging below 2/3 of your bodyweight a day in carb grams. this may be warranted on a cyclical basis for some folks during a precontest cut, but for general purposes & gaining muscle, you're better off averaging somewhere above this amount -- unless you've either been pathologically afraid of, or metabolically challenged by carbohydrate for a long enough duration for your body to adapt & get by on amounts chronically lower than this.

PREWORKOUT

OBJECTIVE

the objective here is to promote sustained carbohydrate availability (& to a lesser degree, amino acid availability), minimize muscle catabolism, and spare glygogen as much as possible. this is best accomplished by carbs with a low to moderate GI & insulin index (II). it's important to note here that research is quite conflicting on the issue of GI & exercise performance. much of the latest studies show no real difference. nevertheless, it's established that lower-GI sources influence substrate oxidation during training ever-so-slightly better for bodybuilding purposes. when i mention GI, i'm talking about the glucose comparison standard, not the white bread standard. the actual amount & physical nature of the meal depends on how soon your schedule allows you to eat or drink before training. there are at least 3 acceptable scenarios..

COMPOSITION

scenario one: a solid, full-sized balanced meal finished 60-90 minutes preworkout consisting of 30-60g protein (0.2-0.25g/lb target BW) + 40-80g carb (0.33g/lb target BW). there are endless examples of how this can be constructed, & heres just one:
            ---- 5-8oz of any type of land or sea animal flesh
            ---- 1-2 cups low to moderate-GI grain or other starchy vegetable or legume /or/ fistsize sweet potato, etc, look up sub-70-rated examples here.
            ---- 1 or more cups fibrous vegetable like salad greens, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, kale, cabbage, onions, even carrots, etc, etc

scenario two: a liquid meal or shake finished 15-30min preworkout:
            ---- 20-50g protein (0.15-0.2g/lb target BW) whey is preferred for its BCAA content
            ---- 40-80g (0.33g/lb target BW) low-to-moderate GI carbs. any fruit works well here, so does old fashioned oats. a solid case can be built for a combination of both. whether you include water/milk or unsaturated fat like flax or pnb is really personal preference. milk just gets the anabolic/anticatabolic cascade rolling for those in a severe hurry to gain muscle. adding fat to this shake can slow the release of nutrients substantially & benefit those who train for significantly more than 90 min, offering extra protection against energy dips - especially if you don't consume a dilute carb solution during your workout. most people will do fine without the fat as long as the overall carb profile of the shake is relatively low to moderate-GI. NOTE: most commercially prepared dilute sports drink solutions have a low glycemic load, rendering their high GI irrelevant. some dudes use the same shake for pre & post workout; they make a bigass shake, and simply drink half before & half after - or they sip it thoughout the workout. this is fine too & you'll still benefit, but you're not taking full advantage of the specifically different physiologic demands of pre & postworkout for bodybuilding purposes.

scenario 3: both of the above scenarios in succession (one after the other in the above listed time frame) is probably ideal, but in the real world, many folks train first thing in the morning before work, so that nullifies the possibility of the pre-pre workout meal. no problem, that's where an intelligently concocted prebed meal helps (another topic!). note that individuals will vary in their digestive & absorptive capacity. some folks can only tolerate scenario one without the additional scenario 2 due to less gastrointestinal motility &/or speed of digestion/absorption. trial and error will dictate your optimal meal scheduling respective of this.

to reiterate the factor of individual differences, don't be afraid to go outside of the listed guidelines & exceed the upper limit of listed carb intake as needed to power you through your training. conversely, don't be afraid to dip below it given your gastrointestinal tolerance for exogenous substrate during or pretraining.
            Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
              I subscribe to the notion of a complex carb/protein source preworkout. When not doing a ketogenic diet I usually do oats + milk + whey.. Here is some information from Alan Aragon about preworkout nutrition. (found on bb.com forums)

Have done the oats and whey but never the milk, maybe I will try it. Have also done chicken and sweet potatos seemed pretty good.

CROWLER
              President

www.AnabolicInnovations.com
              www.HealthyCheatFoods.com

Comment

Originally posted by CROWLER
                Have done the oats and whey but never the milk, maybe I will try it. Have also done chicken and sweet potatos seemed pretty good.

CROWLER
                I usually skip milk pre and use water, especially on leg days. I use either supercarb or buckwheat groats. Chicken and sweet potatoes are my lunch and dinner.

Comment

I use ON Whey Rocky Road!

Its the best protein ever ( besides labrada)

JDub

Comment

Originally posted by JDub
                    I use ON Whey Rocky Road!

Its the best protein ever ( besides labrada)

JDub

sick!!!!!

have you tried some of the more expensive brands?

www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Like what?

Jdub

Comment

Like what?

Jdub
                        Syntrax Nectar, I-pro from Giant, primaforce substance wpi
                        www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                          Syntrax Nectar, I-pro from Giant, primaforce substance wpi
                          I-Pro from Ergopharm

Comment

GF-Pro is good, i like blueberry and cherry but it expensive IMO.
                            I-Pro Orange is good as well.

got a little confused

Jdub

Whey protein my fav is Rocky Road.
                            Last edited by JDub; 06-07-2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I-Pro is good, i like blueberry and cherry but it expensive IMO.

Jdub

Whey protein my fav is Rocky Road.
                              WPC makes me really bloated also, Isolate isnt so bad

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
                                I-Pro from Ergopharm

please show me the link of I-pro from ergopharm....

and when you discover it is in fact a Giant Nutrition product, please go sit in the corner for a while.
                                www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

Working...
                                X