Lifting after a recent back strain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting after a recent back strain?

How's it going everyone?? Well last week I messed up my lower back but luckily its not a messed up disc or anything really severe, but bad enough where its still tight/uncomfortable bending over, picking something up, etc. Actually, the x-rays shows I had a fractured spine (either born w/ it or happened and I never knew), on top of extra curvature in my lower spine that puts pressure on the posterior joints of my spine instead of my discs. Anyways, I started the chiro therapy and starting phys therapy soon too.

Here's my x-ray to show what I mean:

However, being pretty stubborn I don't want to give up lifting, especially since I am right in the beginning of a sponsored log and don't want to lose any muscle size/strength. I just want to see what kind of exercises/routines I can do that will still give me results without halting my healing. I figured chest shouldn't be a problem especially if I use proper form and don't arch my lower back, but I figure trying to do back, legs, and even standing bi's exercises could aggravate my back, but are there any exercises where I can still work legs and back that will not use my lower back, and maybe even help my back heal?? I know doing back extensions can help with the muscles around my spine, but I'm wondering if you guys think I can get away with light squats, seated machine rows, leg extensions, seated calf press, etc.

Any tips/info would be greatly appreciated.. THANKS!!
    "We Spartans are said to be descended from Hercules himself. Taught never to retreat, never to surrender. Taught that death in the battlefield, in service to Sparta, is the greatest glory he could achieve in his life. Spartans, the finest soldiers the world has ever known."

Rutgers University
    I'm in grad school for chicks..

Ouch! I pulled my low back in the beginning of the year and I couldn't even bend over. I had to do several months of pt. I still haven't ventured back to the leg press machine but I've been using the pullup machine for leg press instead. No pressure on my back because I'm standing. The other stuff I had to SLOWLY get back into. It's frustrating but you have to. My back still gets tight but ALOT of stretching really helps it out. Do the exercises you can that don't affect your back too much, lay off the one's that do.
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

front squats > back squats / anything that loads the spine/axial (basically overhead movements)

Comment

Working...
      X