Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious help with a cut (SCT get in here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
    Here is the thought process behind going with a 'low carb' diet. When you remove carbohydrates from the equation (your bodies typical fuel source) your body begins searching for alternative fuel sources. Your body then decides, hey, I've got all this extra intake fat and stored body fat, lets use that. The body begins to mobilize that fat which forms ketone bodies, which get burned for fuel. This method is very muscle saving, and is amazing for dropping fat, however it is pretty hard on some folks due to the restrictions it can bring. A typical ketogenic diet is more like 65% Fat, 30% Protein, and 5% carbs (which should all be fibrous veggies). A weekly (or every ten days) carbup is done to refill the glycogen supply in your muscles. This also serves to restoke the metabolism.

A carb-cycling diet is based more near the macro breakdowns you listed, where you make use of no carbs, low carbs, and high carb days. Hal has posted a VERY comprehensive guide to carb cycling which you can see here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=carb+cycling

No matter how you go, whether it is a ketogenic diet (very low carb all the time except carbups) or a carb-cycling diet (higher carb days around heavy lifting days, med carbs during cardio days, no carb days following refeeds and on days off)

So it breaks down like this:

Carb-cycling = Awesome, pretty easy to stick to.
    Ketogenic = Insane fat loss, no carbs = bland diet that is hard to stick with for most.

SCT
    So overall a carb cycling diet would be more effective then say simply adjusting my macros to having lower carbs and higher fats then what I currently consume?

Comment

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
      So overall a carb cycling diet would be more effective then say simply adjusting my macros to having lower carbs and higher fats then what I currently consume?
      It is hard to say which would be more effective, but I would recommend starting out with a carb cycling and then assess from there. Once you read up on Hal's carb cycling 101 if you have any more questions hit me up

SCT
      Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
        It is hard to say which would be more effective, but I would recommend starting out with a carb cycling and then assess from there. Once you read up on Hal's carb cycling 101 if you have any more questions hit me up

SCT

Thanks for the help -- I've read Hal's carb cycling 101 and I think I have a basic understanding, but I'm just not sure how to properly plan out my low carb, no carb, refeed days to coincide with an effective split for this kind of diet.

Comment

pics are needed, just post a pic of ur tummy and we can tell from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
            i do not consider keto diets to be healthy nor do I think it's a good way to preserve muscle.
            I can respect that, but how familiar are you with TKD....

Comment

hmmm im lighter than you are personally my heaviest was at 189 pounds at 5.6 feet
              my bodyfat now is 16% which is a little bit of a shock but the realization came to me is i eat too much food for my bodytype and etc...so ill be interested in what is said in this thread...
              carb-cycling when i had it working for me was great but i had no energy...i lost fat though which was good but its tough.
              im thinking that maybe reduce calories but just over maintenance keep it Very clean and then gain muscle slowly while the addition of moderate to intense cardio should maybe level off some BF% ? or am i being dof

Comment

Working...
              X