Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for John Lee on your Off-Season Diet

[ First time posting on the forums - Hello everybody ]

Quick About Me: Age: 25 Height: 6'1" I have been training regularly (5 days a week) for about 20 months now. I started at 215 lbs January 2005 and worked steady and consistent at bulking for the past 20 months. I'm currently 262 lbs (13% bfi) as of August 2006. I have a relatively high metabolism and I have always thought of myself as the tall skinny guy. I'll try and post some pics, but my body type could be described as ectomorph (maybe ecto-meso; is that possible?)

I hit a plateau in my growth so I took the time to total my dialy nutritional values for the food I was eating. And it fell dismally short of the suggested values for someone my weight. Even with 3 protien shakes a day and meal replacement bars, I barely made a 1.2 : 1 ratio of protien to body mass.

I found your 'Off-Season' diet after I had ordered the Controlled Labs 'Green Magnitude' and 'White Blood'. I looked at your progress pictures and felt that I shared a similar body structure - "hard-gainer" stubborn type. I recalculated your nutritional values for your Off Season diet and modified it slightly to fit into my schedule. Do you really eat this 5 times a day, 5 days a week? I don't think I am able to eat this much 5 times a day, so I changed it slightly. Please let me know what you think and if I can make these substitutions.

Meal #1 Breakfast 8:00
    4 eggs hardboiled
    2 slices whole wheat bread
    1/2 can lite fruit
    coffee/juice
    1 scoop protien shake w/skim milk
    Multivitamin

Meal #2 10:30
    ½ lb ground turkey
    ½ can of corns with no salt added - (did you mean corn, as in 1/2 can of corn ... cus now I am eating 1.5 cans of corn a day - just want to clarify)
    ½ can of great northern beans
    1 cup cooked oatmeal
    1 scoop of protein shake (25g)

Meal #3 1:00

Same as Meal #2
    I mix everything (even the chocolate protien) into a container and hold my breath and eat - you said it best "eating becomes a purpose rather than a pleasure"

Meal #4 3:00

Same as Meal #2

Preworkout 5:00

4 capsules White Blood
    1.5 scoops Green Magnitude
    Fruit or energy bar

Post workout 7:30

3 scoop Protien shake w/skim milk

Meal #4 Dinner 8:00
    Always a full size dinner with 1.0lb of red meat, chicken etc
    Vegitables and carbs - this meal varies the most, but I always
    have at least 1.0lb of meat and vegis

Is this a reasonable substitution for your diet? 5 of your meals are the 1/2lb turkey combinations - I think I can only muster 3x a day right now. To compensate, I have the breakfast and large dinner but I don't know if this is a legitimate replacement.

This is my second week on the diet (day 6 - I don't eat this on the weekends). On day 4, I thought I would kill someone, but I think my taste buds are numbing now. I really need to work on eating faster because it takes alot of time to finish meals 2-4 right now. I finished cooking the 9lbs of turkey, 9 cans of corn, 9 cans of beans etc last night and packaged them in 15 containers for the week. Words can't express how excited I am about eating this week *sarcasm*

So please, if you have any suggestions, comments, advice, and/or SUPPORT for me, let me know.

Thanks
    Nick

hi,

i'm no longer on this type of diet as I no longer see a need to increase size dramatically.. However, when I was on the diet it was quite effective for piling on the pounds, hehe..

Your substitutions looks fine. The key is to listen to your body and be consistent enough to make a positive change in your physique.. It doen't have to be followed to the dot, it's more of a general guideline. I think you will do fine on what you wrote down..

john
    www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

262 and 13% bodyfat and you think your skinny?!

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV

262 and 13% BF looks very different on different people.
        www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

I routinely have to step on a scale for people in the gym who say "Dude, you look bigger since last year. How much you weigh now, like, 220?"
          Most of the time, I just answer "Yeah ..."

I'm listening to my body like you said, and uh, honestly, I feel bloated on this diet - I'm not going hungry, that's for sure. I may stop eating the #3 at lunch time and have 10oz chicken and some vegis and a sweet potato. I am in awe that you were able to eat this 5 times a day. Maybe I need to work up to the quantity better. The taste is not really a problem now - it's just a little disappointing, feeling bloated/sick when I felt I could work through anything.

Comment

Originally posted by heinekenns
            I routinely have to step on a scale for people in the gym who say "Dude, you look bigger since last year. How much you weigh now, like, 220?"
            Most of the time, I just answer "Yeah ..."

I'm listening to my body like you said, and uh, honestly, I feel bloated on this diet - I'm not going hungry, that's for sure. I may stop eating the #3 at lunch time and have 10oz chicken and some vegis and a sweet potato. I am in awe that you were able to eat this 5 times a day. Maybe I need to work up to the quantity better. The taste is not really a problem now - it's just a little disappointing, feeling bloated/sick when I felt I could work through anything.
            Try some digestive enzymes, Now Super Enzyme is pretty good

Comment

Try some digestive enzymes, Now Super Enzyme is pretty good
              Big bump right there some digestive enzymes would work wonders with that bloating feeling. In fact, you could also look into Black Hole for that very purpose.

SCT
              Back to the basics!

Comment

When I tell people I'm at 290 they look at me crosseyed; so I know how that feels.

I also have the bloating feeling a lot of the times, so I'm getting some enzymes soon and really hope they help out. what should I expect to feel from taking them, will they help me take a nice dump, or will I just not feel bloated?
                A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

looks like a solid bulking diet, iam sure you'll pack on some mass with that good luck i say keep a progress journal on that diet somewhere
                  Black Hole Review
                  http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1309

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                    When I tell people I'm at 290 they look at me crosseyed; so I know how that feels.

I also have the bloating feeling a lot of the times, so I'm getting some enzymes soon and really hope they help out. what should I expect to feel from taking them, will they help me take a nice dump, or will I just not feel bloated?
                    you will feel your stomach empty out faster..
                    www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                      262 and 13% BF looks very different on different people.

true.. unfortunately.. us asians weigh heavier than what we look like.. it's just how it is.. i'm 212 at 15% body fat 5'10".. and i've been told i look 160-180.. so.. it's weird.

Comment

Working...
                      X