Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen from BB.com "Sesamin exerts an estrogenic effect?"

Originally posted by Skigazzi
    Sesame ingestion affects sex hormones, antioxidant status, and blood lipids in postmenopausal women.
    Wu WH, Kang YP, Wang NH, Jou HJ, Wang TA.
    Department of Human Development and Family Studies, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei 106, Taiwan. t10005@ntnu.edu.tw

Sesame ingestion has been shown to improve blood lipids in humans and antioxidative ability in animals. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, was recently reported to be converted by intestinal microflora to enterolactone, a compound with estrogenic activity and also an enterometabolite of flaxseed lignans, which are known to be phytoestrogens. Whether sesame can be a source of phytoestrogens is unknown. This study was designed to investigate the effect of sesame ingestion on blood sex hormones, lipids, tocopherol, and ex vivo LDL oxidation in postmenopausal women. Twenty-six healthy subjects attended, and 24 completed, this randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Half of them consumed 50 g sesame seed powder daily for 5 wk, followed by a 3-wk washout period, then a 5-wk 50-g rice powder placebo period. The other half received the 2 supplements in reverse order. After sesame treatment, plasma total cholesterol (TC), LDL-C, the ratio of LDL-C to HDL-C, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in oxidized LDL, and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate decreased significantly by 5, 10, 6, 23, and 18%, respectively. The ratio of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol to TC increased significantly by 18 and 73%, respectively. All of these variables differed significantly between the 2 treatments. Serum sex hormone-binding globulin and urinary 2-hydroxyestrone (n = 8) increased significantly by 15 and 72%, respectively, after sesame treatment, and these concentrations tended to differ (P = 0.065 and P = 0.090, respectively) from those after the placebo treatment. These results suggest that sesame ingestion benefits postmenopausal women by improving blood lipids, antioxidant status, and possibly sex hormone status.

PMID: 16614415 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

There have been multiple users with libido loss on Sesamin, as well as people reporting that it is extremely difficult to add lean mass while using it, perhaps this is the reason why?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=10982608

I would be intrested to see a study with guys, as a guys endo system is way diffrent than a girls.

Comment

intersting...

i've taken sesaglow at 1-2 caps a day and i haven't gained a lick even though i am no longer on my diet, hahahahah... pretty cool way to stay steady i must say..

I think i react very strongly to this stuff (and most other stuff )
      www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Hey bis, what is your name on BB.COM ?

Comment

project2501

Comment

Any more comments by you CL folk about this?

Comment

Originally posted by boyscouT™
              Any more comments by you CL folk about this?
              I wouldnt worry to much about it, you have to look at that article and they are taking 50g's a day of seaseme powder. So you would have to take a butt load for it have any effect

Comment

there's no need to worry about this if it's taken in moderate amounts.. I've been averaging 1-2 caps for a while now and it has been working great..
                www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Working...
                X