Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Dilema - Need to workout 4 days a week, but no barbells!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Dilema - Need to workout 4 days a week, but no barbells!

Yep, you heard it, no barbells! I love barbells - Right now I am doing Rippetoe, and am making great progress. I have just learned from my brother however, that my college gym doesn't have barbells for "safety" reasosns. The first thing that comes to mind is:

O F***, then O S***

They have dumbells, machines, and smiths, but smith machines have always scared me. I had planned to do an Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower four days a week, but the no barbells kind of screws me up. So guys...I need help! What to do? Generally I like to work a body part twice a week, but I am willing to all suggestions. I have looked at all of the "proven" routines, but obviously very few neglect squats (which I can do, but it would be dumbell or.....Smith - Yuck!) or deadlifts (how can I do these - DB's?). I really need some help here guys - everything is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!
    Supplements.net Board Rep

Quality, Supplements at Great Prices.

there is nothing wrogn with doing squats in a smith machine. the only difference is that you dont involve alot of the stabilizer muscles and you have to make sure your body is positioned right alot of people lean back into the smith machine which i dont think is right(but im not an expert by any means)

you can do DB deads its a similar effect but not quite the same you need to be even MORE careful to keep your form in check cause a lean to eather side and the potential for injury is increased significantly you wil most probably need straps if your going to attempt heavy.

Comment

Hmm...

Any less chance of injury doing front squats on a smith versus back squats? I have never tried them, so I wouldn't know, but just thinking about it, it might restrict my movement less. I had something like this planned, so let me know:

Monday: Lower Body

Squats (Still of issue of what and how)
      RDL's
      Leg Press
      Seated Calf Raises (3x10)

Tuesday: Upper Body

Incline DB Bench
      Military Press
      Pullups/Pulldowns
      Dips
      Tricep Exercise

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Lower Body

Squats
      Deadlifts
      Dumbell Lunges
      Back Extensions
      Standing Calf Raises

Friday: Upper Body

Flat DB Bench
      DB Rows (Parallel)
      Seated Dumbell Press
      Barbell Curls

Obviously I am willing to take advice from people here. I am open to new ideas all the time. Also, I don't really know what to do for rep ranges. I was thinking warmup and then 4X6 at the same weight. Then when i complete all of the sets, I move up in weight. Let me know what you guys think. Also know that I truly appreciate everyone's help. Thanks guys!

Comment

Front and regular squats target different muscles but both are fine on a smith.

Comment

As everyone knows, the bashing of smith machines is pretty prevelant with alot of lifters. I will take your advice and continue back and front squating with the smith machine.

Just a little update on the above posted routine. Obviously I will take all of your suggestions, but what would day would be better to front squat on versus back squat? I can do back squat on both (as I love this and it seems like with the leg press I would get plenty of quad stimulation). Also, rep ranges are an issue of contention. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Comment

I would do regular squats on Monday and front squats on Thursday. With this routine you could do a heavy day (Mon & Fri) and a light/ high volume day (Tues/Thurs), or you could go progressive as your weights increase you could lower your reps.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
              I would do regular squats on Monday and front squats on Thursday. With this routine you could do a heavy day (Mon & Fri) and a light/ high volume day (Tues/Thurs), or you could go progressive as your weights increase you could lower your reps.
              I will take your advice on the squats. Thanks!

Also, on what day would you add in shrugs - I was thinking Thursday.

Now - Dealing with rep ranges. This is what really confuses me. Obviously certain exercises are better with higher reps than others. Do you suggest ramping the weight to one major workset like a 5X5 (With the major compounds - Things like curls, extensions, etc.. I plan to do more of a 3X8 after warmup), or doing 3-4 worksets in the vein of Rippetoe all at the same weight?

Again, you patience must be getting tested. Thanks again!

Comment

Shrugs can be done on your upper body day. Never personally looked into Rippetoe's program so can't answer there, and your idea sounds like it would work. You will have to experiment a little and find what works best.

Comment

When I said in the vein of Rippetoe, I meant doing a certain number of sets at the same weight. I.E. - Warmup and then 3 sets of five at the same weight. If you complete all of the sets, then the next workout, you increase the weight. In this rep scheme, would you suggest a 4X6 or a 3X8?

Comment

3x8

Comment

Awesome...I don't know what to say. Thanks! You can look for a Green Mag/Glycergrow log on here and BB.com coming up once I get down to college that will be run on this workout. I really appreciate your patience and advice. Have a great day!

Comment

No problem at all, if you can run the log here and BB.com.

Comment

As the time approaches to start a new routine, I always get anxious. Just one final checkup and update:

Monday -

Back Squat
                          RDL's
                          Leg Press
                          Leg Extensions
                          Calf Raises

Tuesday -

Incline DB Bench
                          Military Press
                          Pullups
                          Dips
                          Lat Pulldowns
                          Tricep Pushdown

Thursday -

Front Squat
                          Deadlift (I still don't have a way of progressing past 100 Lb. DB's on these..)
                          DB Lunges
                          Back Extensions
                          Leg Curls
                          Calf Raises

Friday -

Flat Bench
                          DB Rows
                          DB Shoulder Press
                          Barbell Curls
                          Shrugs

Okay - I added a couple things upon the reccomendation of a personal trainer around here. I don't know if they are good additions, so I thought I would bring the revised setup to you guys.

I still plan to set the rep range at 3X8, and increase weight with decreased reps, until I can work them back up to 3X8. I also might apply an article about the 5% rule (I can explain), if I stop making progress with my initial plan. Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for being so damn annoying!
                          Last edited by haiz69; 08-15-2006, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                            Front and regular squats target different muscles but both are fine on a smith.

ddawg, i am not that familiar with you bout dont you have a powerlifting background???? Do you really thinks Squats on a smith machine are ok? Would you ever do them that way? I mean I have done them before many years ago, but since then there is no way i would ever think about it again!

Comment

I've got my routine down (the original one). If a mod sees this, can they just delete it? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X