Deadlifts conventional or sumo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlifts conventional or sumo?

so friday i was in the gym and some powerlifting guys were watchnig me do deads then they recomended i do Sumo stance i was doing conventional. i found that i was able to pull more weight in the sumo stance. but from what i remember if i even remember correctly. Sumo stance takes most of the emphasis off of the lower back? the only reason im doing deadlifts is to pack on more mass and get that thicker look. so should i stick to conventional or go with sumo granted with sumo i know i will beable to get alot stronger thus hopefully add more mass

so what are the differences between sumo and conventional?

Here is some info ont he biomechanics between the two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

But to get to the nitty gritty the difference between conv and sumo is the stress. Conv put the strss more ont he quads and lower back where as sumo is hips and glutes.

Comment

so what your saying is that if i do more sumo dead lifts my ass will get bigger(note do not do these around ARIES). j/k

so if i want to add mass and more upper body thickness i should stick to conventional? and if i want to build more explosive power i should go with the sumo?

Comment

Well from what I was reading it never refered to which was better for mass. It more entailed about over all safety, onething it did say is that sumo is a lot harder to learn. Personally I do both, but only 1x every month or so as I usually do rack pulls.

Comment

i am thinking about doing something like this

week 1 sumo - Heavy as hell
          week 2 rack pulls - heavier than the sumo
          week 3 conventional - not so heavy
          week 4 rack pulls - heavier than the sumo

or ill do somo and rack pulls in the same week im still not 100% set on my training schedule i might take this week to Decondition if i cant decide how i want to train

Comment

Are you going to do rack pulls from the same height each week? I vary mine a hole a week.

Comment

i want to see pics or sumo and reg.......i dont deadlift much .... i also thought was the 2 grips ..... with left had in and right hand out or vise versa.......
              5'11"
              230lbs hard

Comment

i could vary the rack hieght im not too sure on how these and lock outs work 100% but i know they help build strength which I think is needed to inturn build size(when i am ready to)

i want to keep my strength up while im cutting i only have about 15-11 lbs to go before i go on a serious bulk. which since i have only been serious for about 9 months will probably be a canned 5x5 as far as diet im just going to bump the carbs up and try to still stay below my maintenance

Comment

I know most of the PLers I know say whatever you use stick with. But they are speaking of those who compete. I switch mine up from time to time.
                  www.AnabolicInnovations.com
                  Great store, Great products and Great Service.

------------------------------

Hangin's too good for 'em! BURNIN'S too good for 'em! They should be ripped into itsy-bitsy little pieces and BURIED ALIVE!

Comment

Sumos will definately hit your inner thigh area more. It's good to mix it up. Try sumo SLDL your hams will scream for mercy.
                    The Untergrund...from 157lb civilian to 5'10 192lbs of guerilla warfare mechanic guarding the Republic of Korea

Lead follow or get out of the way.

I FULLY ENDORSE GREEN MAGNITUDE
                    If it has liquid in it I probably slipped some Green Mag in it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=spirit3530

Comment

Originally posted by spirit3530
                      Sumos will definately hit your inner thigh area more. It's good to mix it up. Try sumo SLDL your hams will scream for mercy.
                      sumo - being a Bent Wide-legged stance
                      and you do them stiff legged?

kinda doesnt make sense.

all i can imagine is spread-legged deads,which would kill your groin.

Comment

Working...
                      X