Anyone else have a similar problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have a similar problem.

Hey, I've been having really bad problems with getting my back sore by the next day or two or more. I have been doing barbell bent rows for my back with a shoulder width grip. 5 sets of 10 reps. My brothers do seated pully rowing with the parallel grip and they both said their back really burns whenever they do them, I've tried it many times and never feel like my back is getting worked, not even sore a little the next day. I do a split routine with alternating my lower and upperbody on different days. So each part has a chance to rest. My book "arnold: the education of a bodybuilder, in their, arnold quotes that soreness is a sign you are reaching your muscles and that you let them know they need to grow to handle the stress you just put them through. If i don't work my back out for a whole week, then I work it out(with bb rowing)doing 5 sets of 10, it gets really sore for 3 days at least and I can't even doing my military presses without feeling really sore. Doing barbell rows. i'm doing it exactly the way arnold describes in his book, i thought. It's just not even feeling like it's getting a workout or even giving me some idea that it's gotten a good workout the next day or two. I just don't get how my brothers are getting sore the next day everytime when they work their back(they do the same split routine i do) and I don't. It's really getting me depressed. Hope I explained this well, just could really use some help.

Originally posted by Starless_Eyes
    Hey, I've been having really bad problems with getting my back sore by the next day or two or more. I have been doing barbell bent rows for my back with a shoulder width grip. 5 sets of 10 reps. My brothers do seated pully rowing with the parallel grip and they both said their back really burns whenever they do them, I've tried it many times and never feel like my back is getting worked, not even sore a little the next day. I do a split routine with alternating my lower and upperbody on different days. So each part has a chance to rest. My book "arnold: the education of a bodybuilder, in their, arnold quotes that soreness is a sign you are reaching your muscles and that you let them know they need to grow to handle the stress you just put them through. If i don't work my back out for a whole week, then I work it out(with bb rowing)doing 5 sets of 10, it gets really sore for 3 days at least and I can't even doing my military presses without feeling really sore. Doing barbell rows. i'm doing it exactly the way arnold describes in his book, i thought. It's just not even feeling like it's getting a workout or even giving me some idea that it's gotten a good workout the next day or two. I just don't get how my brothers are getting sore the next day everytime when they work their back(they do the same split routine i do) and I don't. It's really getting me depressed. Hope I explained this well, just could really use some help.
    May seem blasphemous to contradict Arnie, but soreness is IMO far from necessary in terms of indicating whether your workout would induce hypertrophy or not. More important is: are your weights and/or reps increasing? If you still insist on getting sore...experiment with different reps/ sets as well as different exercises too in the future. Try intensity techniques such as drop sets, supersets, rest/ pause or eccentrics (always great for inducing DOMS.)
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

soreness/stiffness is good, pain is bad.

Theres many ways to prevent excessive soreness -- proper stretching pre/post workout, proper hydration pre/intra/post as well as all day in gneral, protein/vitamin supplementation will help, and warming up/cooling down before and after a workout correctly will help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
        soreness/stiffness is good, pain is bad.

Theres many ways to prevent excessive soreness -- proper stretching pre/post workout, proper hydration pre/intra/post as well as all day in gneral, protein/vitamin supplementation will help, and warming up/cooling down before and after a workout correctly will help alot.
        He's looking for soreness actually.
        kane@controlledlabs.com
        Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
        Looks for the ads, coming soon!
        www.controlledlabs.com
        www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
          May seem blasphemous to contradict Arnie, but soreness is IMO far from necessary in terms of indicating whether your workout would induce hypertrophy or not. More important is: are your weights and/or reps increasing? If you still insist on getting sore...experiment with different reps/ sets as well as different exercises too in the future. Try intensity techniques such as drop sets, supersets, rest/ pause or eccentrics (always great for inducing DOMS.)
          I see what you mean in your first sentence. When I first started working out close to a year after my younger brother. He was stronger than me(we tested this with an arm wrestle). After about 6 months of myself working out, we had another contest and I beat him. He was getting doms by far much more than me I remember. So If I was stronger than him I have to be inducing hypertrophy then right? I get tired when I work my back out because I eventually can't complete the full range of motion for finishing off a set. Soreness to me is a sign that I've accomplished something in my workout and is what I look forward to. Maybe I don't have a good mind/muscle connection. In arnold's book he said for bb rows to think of your arms as hooks, and only focus on moving the upper arms. About the higher intensity options, brothers aren't always home when I workout so I can't ever try pure drop sets. I've been trying a bunch of different things as far as weight lbs go, rep speed, rest times, so not really sure if my reps and weight are increasing cause of all these different approaches I've been doing. What would be a good superset for my back. I've seen your videos on youtube timberwolf and your back is awesome, do you get sore everytime? I'm 21 and just trying to build a back similar to that. Thanks for the help very much, just let me know what you think's best.
          Last edited by Starless_Eyes; 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X