Static Contraction / Partials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Contraction / Partials

Simply put, I've been looking into xrep / partials / static training as a way to increase intensity / load without f***ing up my neck / shoulder... just looking for feedback on if static training worked for you.... etc
    YES ! Static training made a big difference
    0.00%
    No ! Static training did not make a big difference
    0.00%
    What the hell is static training ?
    100.00%
    Last edited by pu12en12g; 07-22-2006, 06:52 AM.

Will this thread has the life of a pet rock

Originally posted by Don Alessi
    Benefits Of Partial Range Training

- Elimination of sticking point, thus giving the trainee a biomechanical advantage to use super-maximal loads

- Increases the physical work performed in a given period of time (work=force*distance), greater work-volume equals hypertrophy

- Increases blood lactate levels, a precursor to anabolic hormone release

- Demands maximal force production and greater torque (overload)

Benefits Of Full Range Of Motion Training

- Stretching under load conditions the myotatic stretch reflex (plyometric effect) that is involved in weight training thus shutting off inhibiting mechanisms.

- Stretching under load increases muscle hypertrophy by stretching the limiting "sheaths" that encapsulate the muscle belly. In protective response to this unstable change, the stretched muscle sheets trigger an increase in protein splitting, muscle cell division and collagen breakdown and repair. The result is hypertrophy (thickening) for cell survival.

- Requires less tension thus allowing a trainee to "unload" and repair from the assault of higher intensity techniques like "strength partials".

Comment

Comment

The connection between partials, static contraction, and resistance bands should be fairly clear, but basically with each of these we are taking advantage of our own strongest / explosive range of motion = overload (which is obviously not a new concept).

I'm just wondering how many non-powerlifters are taking advantage and the potential of combining all of the above has me excited.

Static Contraction: This occurs at the Fully Contracted Point just after the positive portion or raising of the weight has occured. A Static Contraction is just simply pausing and squeezing for a full second at the Fully Contracted Point before the negative or lowering of the weight takes place.
        Static Contraction (Bench):

Place a barbell in the power rack and adjust it so that it rests within the last two inches of your reach. Load the bar with 50% to 150% more weight than you usually press. If you can hold the weight more than 10 seconds, it is too light. Press the bar off the rack and hold it for at least five seconds without locking out.

Static Contraction (Leg Press):

Move the empty sled to the top of its range and engage the safety stops. Your initial position should be where you usually end up (knees bent). Load the machine with about 200% more than you usually press. Using a shoulder-width placement of your feet, press the sled up an inch or two -- don't lock out -- and hold the weight for five seconds. Don't be surprised if you can do triple your normal weight the first time you try this exercise.

Static Contraction (Shrug):

Place a barbell in the power rack at a level just above your knees. If you don't know how much you can hoist in this exercise, use the same amount you bench pressed. Take an overhand grip on the bar and lift it off the rack. Use your trapezius muscles to raise the weight an inch and hold it there. Don't worry about making your shoulders touch your ears... just raise the bar an inch.
        Last edited by pu12en12g; 07-29-2006, 08:07 AM.

Comment

just bumping for ya

Comment

looks like a one-man show down between him and his empty coconut shell
            www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Kinda off topic, but have you tried eccentrics for your shoulder?

Comment

Never done static work or Xreps. Xreps sounds interesting. If you end up doing these I will be watching to see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
                  Kinda off topic, but have you tried eccentrics for your shoulder?
                  Historically no... I don't always have a spotter but actually that is right on topic / similar concept. I will see if I can incorporate all three into a upper / lower...

Comment

What would your thoughts be about using partials to avoid pressure on shoulder when bench pressing? Would you start from mid rep or do the static contraction?

If I had any sticking point it would be at the top half of my rep, so I think the static contractions would work well, but I'm concerned about them being too harsh on my shoulders.

SCT
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                      What would your thoughts be about using partials to avoid pressure on shoulder when bench pressing? Would you start from mid rep or do the static contraction?....
                      In theory.. static.. but by no means am I endorsing it for your Rotator Cuff injury

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                        In theory.. static.. but by no means am I endorsing it for your Rotator Cuff injury
                        My RC is pretty much OK right now, but I will probably wait a few more months before trying anything crazy, heh.

SCT
                        Back to the basics!

Comment

What would your thoughts be about using partials to avoid pressure on shoulder when bench pressing? Would you start from mid rep or do the static contraction?

If I had any sticking point it would be at the top half of my rep, so I think the static contractions would work well, but I'm concerned about them being too harsh on my shoulders.

SCT
                          Pressure on the shoulder when benching is usually related to form. you can also go down to about 2" off your chest and back up gut again if you do not have proper form and positioning then you will still get it. Another option is DB bench.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                            Pressure on the shoulder when benching is usually related to form. you can also go down to about 2" off your chest and back up gut again if you do not have proper form and positioning then you will still get it. Another option is DB bench.
                            I have to say that I have one of the better forms I've seen for DB and BB benching, but with ANY pushing movement there is some pressure on the shoulders obviously. I meant that while still recovering is there a way to still lift HEAVY without putting extra strain on the shoulders.

SCT
                            Back to the basics!

Comment

I have to say that I have one of the better forms I've seen for DB and BB benching, but with ANY pushing movement there is some pressure on the shoulders obviously. I meant that while still recovering is there a way to still lift HEAVY without putting extra strain on the shoulders.

SCT
                              First, i meant it no way to say you were doing it wrong. After having a total 3 shoulder surgieries 2 of which were reconstruction, I have had to find the best position to bench. Well that way is how powerlifters do it and not the traditional way we were taught in the gym by the club trainers (no offense Aries) or the high school gym teacher.

Bring the elbows in closer to your sides which will also bring the BB closer to your nipples or lower. This does help but does take some getting use to. Same with DB, I keep mine at a 45 degree angle from my body.

Comment

Working...
                              X