Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another 'Dileama' (NEED ANSWERS ASAP! REPS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'Dileama' (NEED ANSWERS ASAP! REPS!)

I have another problem which I need quick answer. I was talking to my uncle on MSN last night and I lost track of time and didnt get to bed until 11 but I had trouble falling asleep so it was around, I would say, 12:30 and I overslept my alarm at 5am. I woke up at 10 pissed and now I have a decision to make. Do I lift at 1 then do cardio after Im done with my workout or do I do it later at night? I have absolutely no problem doing it at night. My friends will probably be pissed but they can hump a duck for all I care..I need to train. Ignore the fact about my friends. Which is better for my body to do? After lifting or later at night? (6 or 7-ish). Thanks!

#2) I have a question about my front squats. How can I hold it? like cross my arms with the bb on my chest and do it or do I put in on the bend of my arm with the pad on the BB or is there alternative? I get done with them and my arms are just read and they hurt. Do I suck it up and do it or is there another way? Or perhaps maybe a alternative exercise? Leg Press maybe? Alright thanks again..REPS for the ppl who respond before 1pm MDT
    i!Please Support Me in My Log!i

I have alot of questions and Im still pretty to new to bodybuilding so can you please help me out?

Just lift and then do your cardio, there is no problem with that. :P If you ARE going to seperate cardio and lifting, try to do so by about 8 hours for maximum metabolic benefit.

As far as front squats, you cradle the bar in the crook of your arms.

SCT
    Back to the basics!

Comment

I still havent decided with the cardio but you said, 8 hrs? That means I would have to workout at 9 and my gym closes at 10, so thats a tough call. I might go mini-golfing with my friends then have them drop me off my house and jog to my gym and get on the exercise bike for 30mins.
      i!Please Support Me in My Log!i

I have alot of questions and Im still pretty to new to bodybuilding so can you please help me out?

Comment

An 8 hour separation between lifting and cardio is not an absolute necessity; it’s just a tried, tested and true guideline. Do what’s best for your body, but start gauging things at approximately 8 hours. It won’t be life threatening. You’ll find your niche.

If I were you, I would simply focus on lifting and do some sprints at night. Just sprint around the block a few times in short bursts. I’ve personally never done cardio at the gym before, but I understand the important of cardio. Just make sure that all in all, you make sure your diet is in check today and that you get some sleep.

If you’re not well rested then you’re battering your body for no reason. And as far as front squats are concerned, start off with just the barbell and position it in the crooks of your arms like SCT said. Find out where it works best, but understand that it’s still not the most comfortable exercise. You could always wrap a small hand towel around the bar if it grinds into your bones. I find back squats a hell of a lot easier to get right.

Comment

8 Hour seperation provides maximum training benefit but doing cardio directly following your lift once won't hurt. Some people swear by it for fat loss, but I believe it impedes muscle growth and don't do it too often.

For Front Squats, I like to cross my arms and hold the bar on my front delts. It's a little painful w/heavier weights, but it's more comfortable for me than holding it in the crooks of my elbows.

Comment

i do cardio immediately after my weight training, because i already have a rush, might as well utilize it.

different strokes for different folks, however i believe it DOESNT impede muscle growth. when i lost all my weight and was down to 160, through proper diet and nutrition i gained back 20 pounds , didnt change BF %, and that was running 2-5 miles immediately after weights. take it for what its worth. people react differently.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
              Just lift and then do your cardio, there is no problem with that. :P If you ARE going to seperate cardio and lifting, try to do so by about 8 hours for maximum metabolic benefit.

As far as front squats, you cradle the bar in the crook of your arms.

SCT
              i remember reading something somewhere where GH levels were increased with cardio after lifting and lower with cardio before lifting.

whats cardio?

Comment

It’s a pretty common agreement that above all, just make sure you do cardio after the heavy lifting. I don’t know if anyone would oppose that however.

As far as cardio immediately proceeding direct training is concerned, I wouldn’t doubt that it works fine for some (such as jaymdubbs). But with other routines that focus on very heavy lifting, I would advise against it. Even if you have a big protein shake, most peoples’ bodies want to eat macro nutrients, maybe go for some fat or just straight to the muscles for amino acids.

When you’re lifting hella, you should let your body recuperate or at LEAST have a good post workout shake and free form amino acids. Purple Wraath, Excell and Xtend all come to mind. I know that jay’s a big advocate of not believing in overtraining, and I agree for the most part. But lots of people train here very heavy and don’t have the same aerobic degree as him.

Personally, I think that if I were to do this then my training would suffer drastically. I would basically be training for maintenance rather than better performance each time. I would like to hear what some of the big dogs around here have to say about that though. I could be horribly mistaken, who knows lol

Comment

Originally posted by bis
                  whats cardio?
                  jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by bis
                    i remember reading something somewhere where GH levels were increased with cardio after lifting and lower with cardio before lifting.

whats cardio?

thats the impression i was under too.

however browndustin, i do heavy lifting. about every other week i reach new PR's. theyre small increments, but they are gains none the less.

my post about overtraining brought up a good point about the difference of "overtraining" while lifting, and "overtraining" in general.

if you engage in moderate to LOW intensity cardio post weight training you are likely to not catabolize muslce tissue . im gonna see if i can find the article i referenced that out of. granted we all know this. i look at it this way-

when you weight train, you burn calories. when you are done, your body is still burning calories (daily habits, natural body processes, etc)

when you weight train, you burn calories. when you do low to moderate cardio, you are still burning calories ALONG with those natural body processes. as long as your amino acid pool is at a susceptible level from the freemform BCAA and EAA's consumed during and post workout, it lesses the degree (if at all) muscle catabolism. the KEY is low to moderate. if it is extended high intensity you are more likely to catabolize muscle. we all know that.

dont feeling like jogging? walk. you are still burning x amount of calories for every mile you walk/run/jog.

i will say, proper supplement timing and nutrition is KEY for this to work properly.

good stuff tho. i think what browndustin is doing is WORKING for him, and he def. knows his stuff. its all about finding what works for you, not someone else. experiment.

one of my favorite quotes was from T-Nation - something to the lines of "your body is a laboratory. experiment"
                    Last edited by jaymdubbs; 07-21-2006, 03:41 PM.

Comment

While this view borders on crazy, I offer you the STONE COLD TRUTH about cardio. It doesn't matter so much when you do it, but that you do it.

Sure, there are benefits of cardio timing, but as long as you are doing your cardio you are still making a positive step

I've experimented with cardio before lifting, after lifting, removed by 8 hours, removed by 4 hours, on off days, etc.. and FOR ME I find that I do best with it after lifting for time reasons.

However, if you REALLY want to test your own endurance and willpower, try to do some hard cardio and then lift. You'll learn what fatigue really is.

SCT
                      Back to the basics!

Comment

according to the nsca front squats should be held like when you finish a power clean
                        Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
                          thats the impression i was under too.

however browndustin, i do heavy lifting. about every other week i reach new PR's. theyre small increments, but they are gains none the less.

my post about overtraining brought up a good point about the difference of "overtraining" while lifting, and "overtraining" in general.

if you engage in moderate to LOW intensity cardio post weight training you are likely to not catabolize muslce tissue . im gonna see if i can find the article i referenced that out of. granted we all know this. i look at it this way-

when you weight train, you burn calories. when you are done, your body is still burning calories (daily habits, natural body processes, etc)

when you weight train, you burn calories. when you do low to moderate cardio, you are still burning calories ALONG with those natural body processes. as long as your amino acid pool is at a susceptible level from the freemform BCAA and EAA's consumed during and post workout, it lesses the degree (if at all) muscle catabolism. the KEY is low to moderate. if it is extended high intensity you are more likely to catabolize muscle. we all know that.

dont feeling like jogging? walk. you are still burning x amount of calories for every mile you walk/run/jog.

i will say, proper supplement timing and nutrition is KEY for this to work properly.

good stuff tho. i think what browndustin is doing is WORKING for him, and he def. knows his stuff. its all about finding what works for you, not someone else. experiment.

one of my favorite quotes was from T-Nation - something to the lines of "your body is a laboratory. experiment"
                          Spot on

I always love reading your posts. Great points as always.

While I find that I’m agreeing with you more and more often, I would say that “for the most part”, people should be mindful of the cardio they do after intense workouts.

I’m sorry if I jumped the gun. It’s because when I think of cardio I always think of “other people”. And by other people I mean the dumbasses who hit up cardio for an hour at maximum intensity…. You guys know the ones. They never bring protein shakes to the gym, they never gain an ounce of muscle and while they do lose weight, they’re actually just getting skinnier rather than leaner. These people usually do too much cardio before or after working out to boot! Not trying to be elitist, but they’re making every mistake in the book during EVERY gym session.

I know it’s basic for us to have proper diets, time our workouts/cardio and make sure our supplementation is appropriate, but “the others” just don’t see it like this. I will actually completely agree with your post as a matter of fact. Low impact cardio is great for after working out if everything else is in check. That’s why I love Purple Wraath – you always have that buffer or safety zone. While muscle mass and cardiovascular endurance are going up, fat is goin down.

Comment

the great thing about my cardio philosophy is, lets say the GF really wants to spend time with me (sometimes interefers with the workouts)

knowing i will still burn 120 per mile i walk, we go for long walks (she loves to walk around our new neighborhoods)

so i just make sure we walk at least 2-3 miles. which is my HAVE to distance. any more is an added extra

and your right, people NEED to be mindful of cardio. if ididnt research it so much, i more than likely would be smaller than i am now.

purple wraath is my savior. plain and simple haahahahah

Comment

I wouldn't be doing any cardio at all without PW, heh heh

Just introduced a friend to PW today because he's doing a hella cut, and he is in love with it too. It ain't a secret anymore, PW rocks

Comment

Working...
                              X