Weak at the top of my deadlift..help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak at the top of my deadlift..help?

So I tried a ME Deadlift today, did 485 got it about 4" off the floor but couldnt go any further, so than tried 465 and got it about halfway, finally was able to completely lock out 405, tried 425 but couldnt get it locked out by about 1".

Now the problem is I dont have a rack so pin pulls are outta of the question, an other good workouts for the top of a dead?

Do you have some adjustable steps for aerobics or boxes around or even mats? Here is a great article that can be used to troubleshoot your problem areas and accessory exercises to fix them.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/su..._exercises.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
      Do you have some adjustable steps for aerobics or boxes around or even mats? Here is a great article that can be used to troubleshoot your problem areas and accessory exercises to fix them.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/su..._exercises.htm
      We have aerobic boxes, whats weird though is I have a really strong pull through like 150lbs well the max out machine will go. Maybe I need to start doing more RDL

Comment

What style do you lift, sumo or regular?

Comment

What style do you lift, sumo or regular?
          Regular, this was also raw Also what about reverse band pulls?
          Last edited by LancerV; 07-14-2006, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
            Regular, this was also raw Also what about reverse band pulls?
            Never done htem myself but I would believe any band work would help regular and reverse. Do you do good mornings also?

Comment

Never done htem myself but I would believe any band work would help regular and reverse. Do you do good mornings also?
              No good morings form me, I can never keep my form worth a crap when doing them my back always moves left and right when doing them

Comment

No good morings form me, I can never keep my form worth a crap when doing them my back always moves left and right when doing them
                Hmm interesting, even on lighter weights?

Comment

Hmm interesting, even on lighter weights?
                  Yep, think its due to my uneven back

Comment

pull thru's

note on pull thrus be carefull and make sure you watch out for your boys. getting pinched by that cable or clasp is no fun

Comment

Originally posted by bis
                      pull thru's

note on pull thrus be carefull and make sure you watch out for your boys. getting pinched by that cable or clasp is no fun
                      Yea do them, did like 150 for 12 the other day

Comment

Maybe try not lifting heavier than you can handle. Pulling upwards of 400lbs takes serious skill and strength.
                        + =

Comment

Originally posted by Travis71902
                          Maybe try not lifting heavier than you can handle. Pulling upwards of 400lbs takes serious skill and strength.
                          I need to start doing pin pulls

Comment

I need to start doing pin pulls
                            I do these regularly and rarely do from the floor, maybe once every 3-4 weeks if that.

Comment

i dont know why you are deadlifting so heavy you cant even get one..

from my experience, the only thing maximum weight load does is risk injury and enhance the soreness (prolly since your form faulters under the stress load)...

I would do high rep sets for maximum muscle growth and overall stamina gains

I'm a strictler for form over weights.. you can lift alot but if your form is pathetic what is it for?!

Rollin’ On Dubs

How real men build their legs so they can be sittin’ on chrome.

By: Marc Lobliner and Team Scivation

“Those aren’t 20’s, those are 10’s”

--Ice Cube, Next Friday

It happened again today. I went to the gym early to get in a workout before leaving for a bodybuilding expo in Idaho. It was leg day, the day that separates men from boys. There I was, at one leg press station with a 45 and a 25 on each side repping out 20 reps unilaterally, barely. Next to me was a sight to be seen. This young man had about 9 plates per side, complete with the funny sweat pants and knee wraps to match. After wrapping his knees up nice and tight, he sat in the leg press and proceeded to lift the weight off the pins. He then let out a mighty scream and lowered……

Well he didn’t really lower it. He went down about a quarter of an inch and then locked it back up. I guess that would have been a full rep if he was 3’5” tall. But this was a normal sized guy standing about 5’9”. Upon unwrapping his knees and exposing his “wheels,” the look I gave him probably resembled the look given to a not-so well endowed flasher by his victim. I did not laugh, but instead thought of this article, and being from Southern California, shiny rims came to mind.

Scivation Director of Research and Development Chuck Rudolph and I have discussed this many times. In order for legs to grow optimally, you need two things:

Proper form
                              HIGH reps
                              What we will discuss today is the high-rep part of the equation. Too many people focus on getting strong thus, they use low reps and weight beyond what their form can sustain. The problem is that unless you are a powerlifter or strength athlete, this is not what we have witnessed to be most effective in gaining lean mass.

We recommend a more unorthodox, high-rep leg workout, one that would make most mortals puke. The results we have seen with this program have been outstanding and also realize that if you are trying to maximize fat oxidation, this workout will mobilize more fat stores than Star Jones on a treadmill. Here is the leg workout that will have you shot callin’ and big ballin’ with your new, beefy wheels.

Leg Curls

3 sets 20 reps

This is to get your legs warm and toasty for what is to come and also help pre-exhaust the target muscles. Leg curls provide a nice contraction on the hamstrings and also compliment the exercises that follow quite well.

Leg Extensions

3 sets 25 reps

Go for the burn around the 18th rep. Keep the weight nice and light and use a slow and controlled motion. This will get help get your knees nice and lubricate for what is to come as well as pre-exhaust. Why not do these at the end like it is usually recommended? The answer is that this is not the bread and butter of the workout and also, you’ll be too tired to do these at the end!

Stiff Leg Deadlift

3 sets 15 reps

This is the hamstring-master. Take a shoulder-width stance and come down nice and controlled focusing on pushing your hips back rather than bending at the waste with a very slight bend in the knees. Come to where your upper torso is parallel and come back up smooth and controlled.

Lunges

4 sets 20 reps EACH LEG

Yes, you read that right. 40 total reps for 4 sets. I am man enough to admit that I use the bar only. You can either do walking lunges or alternate stationary lunges. If large, toned legs and a shapely butt are goals of yours, these MUST be done! Who doesn’t want a great ass?

One Legged Leg Press

4 sets 15-20 reps each leg

This takes a lot of pressure off of the lower back and really hits the whole leg nicely. Place one foot on the floor and the other on the platform and perform the movement. After the lunges, your quads and glutes will be on fire!

Squats

4 sets 15-20 reps

The king of all exercises. Go light as you will be a bit unstable by now and rep it out. Come just below parallel in a smooth, controlled motion.

Standing Calf Raises

4 sets 25 reps

Drop the weight and rep it out! Smooth and controlled with a full range of motion. These will burn really bad.

Did he just say CARDIO?

We recommend 20-35 minutes of low intensity cardio at 120-140 heart-rate to facilitate recovery and nutrient flow. Yes, even after this hellish workout!

Leg Day Nutrition

You want to provide your body with what it needs to recover before, during and after training. This DOES NOT mean you need to down 100 grams of fat-producing carbs. Thus, we do not recommend a pre or post workout shake containing carbohydrates unless:

a) You are a performance athlete who needs to recover to compete the next day.

Or

b) You are an ectomorph who has trouble putting on mass.

If you are like most bodybuilders and physique enthusiasts, you weight train for 30-60 minutes and do maybe 30-45 minutes of cardio. This expenditure does not require the post workout shake to recover and the spike in insulin will be detrimental to most bodybuilder’s goal of being Lean and Hard. Well, Scivation wants to help getcha Big and getcha HARD!

But here is the catch…

We recommend drinking a combination of branch chain amino acids (BCAA) and whey protein isolate ( WPI) pre, during and post workout. Scivation makes a product just for this called Xtend that contains BCAA, Glutamine and Citrulline Malate and Primaforce makes Substance WPI whey protein isolate. The beauty is, they both come in grape and watermelon flavors for a refreshing, anabolic workout drink.

Dosing should be 1 scoop of Substance WPI along with the equivalent of .17 grams per kilogram of bodyweight of BCAA mixed in 24 ounces of water. This would be 5 servings of Xtend for a 200 pound person. Drink 1/3 of this mixture pre, 1/3 of this mixture during, and 1/3 of this mixture post workout. Start drinking the preworkout portion 15 minutes prior to training. When you get done training, go home and eat some FOOD.

Remember, it is not the preworkout meal that provides the energy and fuel for training, it is the many meals the days before the workout that matter.

“Gets on my nerves when I bang my Dayton ’s on the curb”

--Mack 10, Fo’ Life

That’s what you’ll be thinking when your chromed out 26s, also known as your newfound quads and hams, are bumping into furniture due to their enormity. When rollin’ in your ’64, let your large ego shine through. But when it comes to leg training, check your ego at the door, lighten the weight, and rep your way to big, defined legs.

Marc Lobliner is the President of Scivation, Inc. He is a Certified Personal Trainer with over 8 years of experience in the Health and Fitness Industry--including over 4 years with Weider Publications. He can be reached at mlobliner@scivation.com. Please visit www.scivation.com and www.primaforce.com.
                              Last edited by jiritt0; 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X