Whats Your Motivation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Your Motivation?

We all have different reasons why we lift. One of the obvious reasons is for general health. But what are some of your other reasons you lift? (ie vanity, function, etc.)

when i first started lifting back in high school, it was to look good and attract ladies because i was a chunky kid growing up.

it wasnt until two years ago i started lifting for function (because thats when i started martial arts) and stopped worrying if my pecs looked good. if i had explosive power and speed(enough to knock someone out with), then i could care less how big my biceps were. (im not knocking bodybuilding, i just have different goals than you guys

what about you guys (and gals)

personal vanity and the drive to be the best at everything sports / snowboarding , even when i wrestle with my friends or whatever i want to always be the best
    its my nature
    Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

I'm afraid I have to admit I also started out with the goal of just plain looking good...but I don't think thats too big of a crime. Now don't get me wrong, to this day I still enjoy reaping the benefits of my hard work..but its not what drives me. As of late besides general health its more of the love and enjoyment I get out of it...its a hobby for me and it also relieves stress. I absolutely love challenges, and I can't think of a better challenge than myself - constantly pushing your body up to and beyond its limits...now thats a worthwhile way to spend some time.

I also like to set lots of goals, especially short term ones. I absolutely LOATHE setting a goal and not reaching it...failure it not an option. As a result I continuously find myself busting my buns a lot to avoid this.

Comment

I used to lift for football, In highschool and in college. Now Im lifting to get back in shape, I had two surgeries and been out of the game for almost three years.. Im lifting to get back in shape, so I can joing the State Police here In PA. It has been a goal of mine since I can remeber to join the academy... That is why I go balls to the wall in the gym, for my future and my dream to become a Forensic Scientist..
        If you have to cheat to win, why bothering playing..

Comment

Was always the smallest in my class so I started lifting.

Now many many many years later I guess it is still the same reason lol

CROWLER
          President

www.AnabolicInnovations.com
          www.HealthyCheatFoods.com

Comment

I lift for the serenity it brings.
            I run to find the joy in life.
            I diet for the discipline it teaches.
            I do it all for the man it is molding me into, the man that I long to be.
            Back to the basics!

Comment

someone told me i couldn't...

i knew he was a liar...
              www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

- Stress relief / endorphins
                - The war against genetics

Comment

i was always a little guy im only 5'6
                  when i joined the corps they said hey if you join the powerlifting team you dont have to run every day
                  i hate running
                  after i got out of the corps life happened
                  i gained alot of weight from like (160when i went in)190 when i got out of the corps to like 245 before the hurricane(Katrina)i had nothing to do when i went back home and the gym was open so i did as i do with all things i did a little research and made some goals now im working on getting to them. its a really simple one too just want to be 225 with 10% or less bf im around 18% @215 right now

Comment

Graduate school turned me into a fat slob. Any spare hour that I had, my nose was in a book. No time to eat properly, no time to workout...working full time and completing grad work full time is very difficult. I reached a weight of 230 lbs..and I have a slender frame, so my mid-section was a big tub of goo. One day at lunch, I started having chest pains and told my wife to take me to the emergency room...it wasn't a heart attack, luckily, and it scared the shit out of me, I was only 28 years old. Life has changed drasticly since then...

I'm a former college athlete who was in pretty good shape during those years...I want to look back at that guy and call him a skinny punk. 18-22 are not going to be best years of my life physically...

Thus my motivation...

Comment

why i exercise

1- look good
                      2- get stronger
                      3- get leaner

honorable mentions; improve strength, improve speed, improve stamina

Comment

The challenge
                        The obsession
                        The serenity (good one, stonecoldtruth!)
                        The physical sensations (pump, euphoria/stone, pain)
                        People who said that I couldn't or think that I can't...

Even though this means less time with friends, needing to be more "selfish", and cutting out other opportunities, my only regret is not starting earlier in life. I'm such a newb but so hooked.

Comment

casue everyone else is doing it?? no, just kidding. I feel good afterwards. Its a great stress reliever and Id love to look sexy again
                          The stack:
                          PW-GG-GB-GM-BU-RA-Designer Whey protien

THE MAN:
                          5'9
                          197.5 LBS
                          BF% 29

Comment

Working...
                          X