Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning and Training: Fight the Overtraining scare

Conditioning and Training: Fight the Overtraining scare

There are people all everywhere who really try their hardest to get in shape. Bodybuilders, athletes and regular everyday guys just trying to stay healthy and impress the ladies. Everyone has different goals, ambitions and dreams; activities that give some type of purpose to a person’s life.

Whatever yours may be, the so called fitness experts always warn against the offset of overtraining. In my honest opinion, I think overtraining is a crock of shit. “But why Jared, there are so many studies proving you other wise.” The answer is simple. The very same mechanisms that control hypertrophy and atrophy in our bodies are the same mechanisms that help our bodies adapt. Put the body under enough stress, and the body will adapt. This is a given. We all know the studies that back that statement, and we all know the studies that refute the statement. In a nutshell, there 101 ways to prove my statement and there’s 101 ways to disprove it.

So what the hell am I trying to say?

Train your ass off. Workout has hard as you can, as long as you can, and as often as you can. You only live this life once.

For over 4 months I weight trained for almost 2 hours and ran 5 miles immediately afterwards. Four hours later I would do mixed martial arts cardio for 2 hours afterwards. I was EXERCISING for over 20 hours a week.

Did I have so much cortisol in my system that I gained fat more easily. No, I was in the best shape of my life.

The point I am trying to make is make sure you train as hard as you can, because the results will be there if you try hard and want it badly enough. I just urge everyone not to be afraid of overtraining, because the human body is a remarkable organism. I think people don’t give it enough credit sometimes.

While I am not an expert in sports physiology, I have experienced the training first hand. But who are you going to listen to, an armchair expert who recites everything from books, or someone who has lived, breathed and survived the training, still standing in front of you while being in the best shape of his life? That's for you to decide.

Jared Davis is a martial arts champion practicing Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. He is an aspiring strength & condition coach as well as a mixed martial art instructor. He can be reached at jmdavis8@kent.edu.

I think theres a diffrence if you want to be lean, and just a huge crazy powerlifter. I think if you want to be lean you have to stay active all the time even when bulking.

Comment

True, however, I feel people in general don't give the human body enough credit to adapt to the stress. A majority of the time when people think they are overtraining, there probably not. Not putting enough muscle mainly stems from 2 factors (in my honest opinion based on research ive done) 1 being not proper nutrition or macros 2 not activating enough muscle fibers to promote hypertrophy.

neither being overtraining stress. when was the last time you saw a out of shape person say, "i workout like an animal, but im still 400 pounds because of cortisol and overtraining". you wont, because if he/she truly is working out like an animal, they wont be 400 pounds.

nobody should take my comments as offensive. i have the utmost respect for ANYBODY who tries to better their lives through proper nutrition and exercise.

what spurred this commentary by me was someone at the gym telling me i was overtraining, and gave me the spiel of overtraining like i was a newbie that didnt know better.

Comment

People are generally "scared" of overtraining, but aren't scared of undertraining.

Why ? Because it's the easy way out.

Good thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
          People are generally "scared" of overtraining, but aren't scared of undertraining.

Why ? Because it's the easy way out.

Good thread.

exactly. people make way too many excuses for themselves. if you barely push your body to the limit, you arent putting any stress on it. sure, you maybe lifting heavy weights and building up lactic acid, but theres so much more to it than that. overall heath consists of nutrition, CARDIOvascular condition and muscular resistance/weight training.

every workout/DAY should be a balls to the wall marathon/live like ur last day workout

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
            exactly. people make way too many excuses for themselves. if you barely push your body to the limit, you arent putting any stress on it. sure, you maybe lifting heavy weights and building up lactic acid, but theres so much more to it than that. overall heath consists of nutrition, CARDIOvascular condition and muscular resistance/weight training.

every workout/DAY should be a balls to the wall marathon/live like ur last day workout
            Not to mention the proven hormonal benefits of even a short 15-20 minute cardio session... and potential for appetite stimulation etc...

I'm a huge fan of AM + PM cardio

Comment

Not to mention the proven hormonal benefits of even a short 15-20 minute cardio session... and potential for appetite stimulation etc...

I'm a huge fan of AM + PM cardio

mmm hmmmm.

Comment

i think overtraining with weight training is much diff then overall body training ie cardio ,lifting , sports/martial arts

if you were to lift 20 hours a week all tilll failure there is no way your body could handle it thats like 4 hours a day you would be doing like 50 sets of squats ha

with doing a well round of activities your cns is affected diff ways where as weight lifting you are putting all the load in one area
                i guess i dont know how to explain this to the fullest detail on a cellular level
                there is a good post about this by all pro on bb.com
                the only reason i am even posting was because 2 weeks ago my lower body session , i def exprienced overtraining , honestly for the next two days i felt ill and just miserable
                i do agree with you about how the phrase overtraining tends to be a cope out just like how people say i cant grow but dont eat more then 200o cals or sleep more then 5 hours a night

rant over
                Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

Originally posted by adoniscomplex
                  i think overtraining with weight training is much diff then overall body training ie cardio ,lifting , sports/martial arts

if you were to lift 20 hours a week all tilll failure there is no way your body could handle it thats like 4 hours a day you would be doing like 50 sets of squats ha

i agree with you here. but maybe i havent made the point clear enough that even if you are "theoretically" overtraining, the body will compensate and adapt to the stimulus. so lets say you were in fact overtraining and u were ill like you stated. your body was stressed, and it recovered. after a few more "overtraining" sessions i can almost guarantee your body will adapt and it wont be overtraining anymore. your body will not just fail on you. with proper nutrition and rest overtraining doesnt exist. its only temporary state that means you went balls to the wall, and put your body through the wringer to BETTER yourself.

theres a big physcologically issue at hand here too. i stated in a log that you are only as disabled as you allow yourself to be. the same can be said, " you train as intense as you allow yourself to be."

is there a limit to this madness? can you overtrain? what is too much?

the answer is simple. injuries. duh

Comment

Agreed.. "symptoms" of "overtraining" (key here is how each person is defining it to begin with) can usually be linked to diet or some "insanity" (you would be amazed at some of the emails I get).

It is by finding this balance between the 6 keys (Nutrition, Hydration, Recovery, Training, Hormones, Supplementation) that some of these guys are able to pack on very surprising amounts of lean muscle in 1 or 2 years... naturally. Science would have us believe that the magic genetic limitation is exactly 12lb per year or __ lb per year.

But you know what I say.... **** Genetics
                    Last edited by pu12en12g; 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Agreed.. "symptoms" of "overtraining" (key here is how each person is defining it to begin with) can usually be linked to diet or some "insanity" (you would be amazed at some of the emails I get).

It is by finding this balance between the 6 keys (Nutrition, Hydration, Recovery, Training, Hormones, Supplementation) that some of these guys are able to pack on very surprising amounts of lean muscle in 1 or 2 years... naturally. Science would have us believe that the magic genetic limitation is exactly 12lb per year or __ lb per year.

But you know what I say.... **** Genetics

great quote, id rep you but "i must spread out reputation before giving it out "

hahaah sinners

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
                        is there a limit to this madness? can you overtrain? what is too much?

the answer is simple. injuries. duh
                        i have injured myself overtraining twice
                        one time doing something dumb when i was young
                        i think it was about 2 years ago , me and all my meathead friends where very in to being in the gym as often as possible , - i caused a cyst in my hand from weight training for 10 consecutive days

2nd time i joined a training session with two friends (one who was not natural and curenntly on cycle) we did shoulders the volume was insane and later that night i hurt my shoulder

Comment

Any easy bloodwork can tell you if you are overtraninng or not. Reason why bloodwork is key to any type of working out.

Comment

we all have aches and pains with stress. i dont doubt you were overtraining, im just saying people general.

also, overtraining also seems to have some type of genetic limits. in terms of my personal example, i went about 21 days of day to day strength/resistance/weight training

went something like this chest/tris , functional/plyo, back bis, functional/plyo, legs and shoulders, functional plyo,

repeat for 3 straight weeks, no breaks. our experiences are different, because i had no resulting injury, no cyst, the occasionaly soreness, but nothing unusual.

we are all different and this is in no way directed towards you. take what your body can handle. some peoples can handle more than others.

Comment

i dont really like anadotale threads about training , only becuase there are too many variables for one person to say one thing is a fact from thier personal experince
                              anadotale info about supps is a diff story
                              either way i just took my cscs book to see what info there was on overtraining and everything for anaroebic training is theroitcal
                              there was a few studies showing decreased in proformance after 10 contuinous days of training

Comment

Working...
                              X